Pandora Wi-Fi On 350kilobytes/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filler: Even if 350kbytes is the real speed in my opinion that's Much better than using up a USB port. (I plan to use those for a lot of stupid things...)

Anyway, regarding speed tests, let it be known that not every Internet Provider in the US is horribly slow...
772864443.png
...Just the ones available to residences.
(Had to post this because I think it's funny: My home connection is a "Super Fast" 14 Mbit - for the first few megs of a download, then it slows down.)
I think from here I am testing the ISP of the test server more than my own, which is why it seems that from where I'm sitting it would be better to give than to receive ;-)

(That said I will Not be connecting the Pandora to the wi-fi here, even if it's possible to.)

Attachments

• 772864443.png
    772864443.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 95
I'm not sure why everyone is quoting internet speeds in this thread. If the only reason for WiFi was internet, they would never have made 802.11g or 802.11N for that matter. A lot of us use our internal network WiFi so our laptops and portable devices can access our network without wires. Say, streaming video from a network storage. OR, say, playing multiplayer games.

I would not consider it 'fixed' if it still can't do anywhere near 802.11b speeds (it's at what, 25% now) never mind 802.11g speeds. I'm not saying it's a deal breaker, but unles it can do proper spec. speeds it is semi-functional but not *fixed*. Remember it was working before, now it is working a bit better. IT's functionality has simply increased not been repaired*.

*Disclaimer: This is going off the current speeds given. If it is still going to be tweaked and tested, great. I am going off the information at present.

Edit: Do we know that MWeston has a wireless G connection at home?

772890252.png

$58/month. Back on topic, obviously the goal is to get Pandora working at full speed. I think Craigix just wanted to make sure he won't have a revolt on his hands if they start shipping units that are arguably still "flawed". Hopefully MWeston can run some more tests and figure out exactly what resistor value (or whatever the fix is) is required to make this beauty go full speed.

I'm hoping to stream content from my computer to Pandora, so more bandwidth the better.

Attachments

• 772890252.png
    772890252.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 89
BackAssward said:
I'm not sure why everyone is quoting internet speeds in this thread. If the only reason for WiFi was internet, they would never have made 802.11g or 802.11N for that matter. A lot of us use our internal network WiFi so our laptops and portable devices can access our network without wires. Say, streaming video from a network storage. OR, say, playing multiplayer games.

I would not consider it 'fixed' if it still can't do anywhere near 802.11b speeds (it's at what, 25% now) never mind 802.11g speeds. I'm not saying it's a deal breaker, but unles it can do proper spec. speeds it is semi-usable but not *fixed*. Remember it was working before, now it is working a bit better. IT's functionality has simply increased not been repaired*.

*Disclaimer: This is going off the current speeds given. If it is still going to be tweaked and tested, great. I am going off the information at present.

It still doesn't seem like and issue to me, I'd plug in my USB ethernet adapter if I really needed to download something big to my pandora, even if it did work full speed.. or just put it on an SD card.. I'm not going to watch videos on it.. I have a projector for that kind of thing.. it's just going to play games period.

Of course I'd like to see it work fully myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drenyx said:
88034342.png

I'm paying around $35/mo. for service here (still on a sign-up promotion price) and they have faster service if I wanted to pay for it.

The bad part (for the record):
If I was to find a connection elsewhere and wanted to download big files, even a class 2 SD card is supposed to be minimum 2MB/sec.
a 54Mbit/sec wireless link (theoretical) is 6.75Mbyte/sec, say we assume a weaker link and take 1/3rd of that and round down..2MB/sec.

I would say if you wanted to, (since craigx asked many pages ago) 2MB/sec would be a good number to aim for, but as-is I'm sure it's more
than usable and if it does have a bottleneck still I can pop an SD card into desktop/laptop when available.

Hopefully people remember (I have to remind myself sometimes) that when doing these things, there is a lot of unexplored territory involved.
Even software made by the linux community sometimes takes a few days to get a server of various types up and running, whereas we're working
with a much smaller community of contributors with fully custom hardware and software/drivers.

I'll be honest, I am not happy with the repeated delays. If I had known it was going to take this long I would not have preordered my pandora.
But the OP team has kept us all up to date as they have information and as much as we sometimes feel a need to pull our order I'm sure they've
felt somewhere along the way they could just give up on this mess of problems.

If you've read this far, my final $0.02: Soldering is a normal electronics process with circuit boards and can be done at a factory or by someone
with a steady hand and experience. I've seen a friend solder small surface mount components before, and examined his work under a microscope.
It definately is not a last-minute hack-fix (or whatever other terminology surfaced) it is a normal procedure done if there was a damaged component
that needed replacing.

800px-Soldering_a_0402.jpg

Wikipedia: Surface-mount technology

Nice tweezer :p

I'm sure that MW will be able to increase the speed even more with some tweeks, give him some time

About ISP's in my country:

Fiber to the home:

20Mb + 70 IPTV channels + unlimited landline phone calls : 44.9€
50Mb + 100 IPTV channels + unlimited bla bla : 54.9€
100Mb + same as the above : 64.9€
1Gb + 116 IPTV channels + unlimited bla bla: 249.9€
(the above speeds are guaranteed except the 1Gb)

Fiber to the node or fiber to the building using DOCSIS 3.0 modems:

50Mb + 116 IPTV chans + Unlmt phone : 54.9€
100Mb + same as the above : 64.9€
120Mb + same as the above : 69.65€
200Mb + same as the above : 99.9€
(the above speeds are not guaranteed, only peak)

ADSL:

12Mb: 19.99€
24Mb : 24.99€

Cable:

10Mb + 100+ digital tv channels + unlimited bla bla : 39.9€
5Mb + 15 channels + unlimited bla bla : 24.9€

The slowest speed available here is 2Mb (HSDPA)

I have 10Mb cable, speedtest results vary from 9.10Mb and 11.2Mb depending the time of day xD

BACK ON TOPIC:

Ad-hoc connection between the pandora and a laptop :D

BackAssward said:

I would not consider it 'fixed' if it still can't do anywhere near 802.11b speeds (it's at what, 25% now) never mind 802.11g speeds. I'm not saying it's a deal breaker, but unles it can do proper spec. speeds it is semi-functional but not *fixed*. Remember it was working before, now it is working a bit better. IT's functionality has simply increased not been repaired*.

We're still not sure what the extent of his test was, for all we know he could possibly get faster speeds under different circumstances.

jamppa said:
I wish my flat had ethernet wiring too instead of these crappy phone lines :(

Attachments

• 772773003.png
    772773003.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 76
773029241.png

Why not. It's my college connection. The nice thing is that I actually get speeds like that.

Attachments

• 773029241.png
    773029241.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 79
350KB/s sounds fine to me. Whatever else you end up squeezing out of the hardware will be a bonus in my book.

Perhaps it will still be worth getting in a batch of those wireless dongles -- but to sell, not give away.
After all, the suggested dongles do 802.11n, up to 150Mb/s, so you can sell it as an 'upgrade accessory' even if you do get full-speed 802.11g.

If anyone wants extra wireless speed, above whatever you get out of the onboard chip, they can buy the 'upgrade'.

773114116.png

My universitys connection. Probably limited by the local network which is just 100Mbit :)

Attachments

• 773114116.png
    773114116.png
    32 KB · Views: 85
Xtreme2k said:
773114116.png

My universitys connection. Probably limited by the local network which is just 100Mbit :)

maybe it's the server you are downloading from...

752660145.png

EDIT: no... since we're downloading from the same server ;)

Attachments

• 773114116.png
    773114116.png
    32 KB · Views: 75
  • 752660145.png
    752660145.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 75
Bwahahaahhahaha I will not post my country's cable prices and speeds to not be laughed at. :)

I think there's no one of you who can feel my pain :p

Okay, well. I live in Sweden and my ISP is Telia and they're offering 1000/100 were I live. Want me to run tptest or some other tests that can easily be faked?
I don't see the point proving something to you., I don't get anything out of it. I'll just continue enjoying my highspeed net.

But I understand the nerds here gets frustrated about my statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back