Pandora Wi-Fi On 350kilobytes/s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kramy

craigix said:
What would people take as a minimum speed?
350KB/sec is fine. It's not ideal for network transfers(ex: Samba), but it'll do for internet stuff.

The big thing is no connection dropouts.

paddy said:
Guys ,are we talking like - a half meg line 250kb/sec so 350kb/sec is higher than standard
broadband speeds ? ,im on a 1mb line now ,but on Pandora i woudl be getting around a quarter
of that speed ? if this is the case then woooohoooo fucking great news,ship em all.
We have a worldwide audience here. Use full suffixes or we have no clue what you're talking about.

350KB/sec is significantly below 25mbit, but it'll do. Webpages should load pretty quickly on that. Lots of places have 25mbit internet connections, and most of us have wireless networks that'll do at least that.

GizmoTheGreen said:
weve got 100/100 line here at home.

but 350KB is fine, just ship already! :D
Yeah, you're going to be speed capped regardless. Wireless G can't push that much data... neither can Wireless N, actually.

Laurencevde said:
350KB/s, as in 350kilobyte/s, as in ~3megabit/s?
Sounds fine to me. That's fast enough for pretty much everything, except for high-quality high-def video-streaming.
Yep, you got it.

WizardStan said:
350 is fast enough for surfing? Are you people insane?
Seriously, I've not got the absolute fastest connection, but it is a very excellent 5Mb/s. Even so, regular surfing doesn't come anywhere NEAR 350KB/s. If I open 50 tabs at the same time, then I start to see huge hits in my bandwidth, but if I'm just surfing a single page it spikes to about 50KB/s, downloads for 5 or 6 seconds, and then it's done. Saying that 350KB/s is fast enough for surfing is like saying a supersonic jet is fast enough to go to the corner store for milk.
Depends on the webpage. Slashdot spikes to 300KB/sec for me on my 3mbit. I suspect it'd load even faster if I had more bandwidth.

gp32x, on the other hand, always takes 15 seconds to load a page. But gp32x also uploads about 500KB of data just to make a post.

Derek said:
craigix said:
What would people take as a minimum speed?
If the Chip is a 54G chip then I would want at least 17Mbps so my internet can go its full speed, I would prefer 54Mbps so if I do a small file transfer over the network it would go 54Mbps.
54mbit is theoretical. It goes down every time another device connects, and you never get maximum speed.

At best, you could expect ~5MB/sec transfers - about 40mbit.

But it'd probably be even lower than that, regardless of what it says.

meltingice said:
I can't believe how slow and expensive internet is in some areas (then again, now that I think about it, maybe I can believe it). I'm in the middle of Massachusetts and we pay about $60/month for 20Mbps internet. Glad the wireless was fixed so I'll be able to take advantage of these speeds on the Pandora!

772611318.png
I pay $27/mo for 3mbit. That's under 20 euros. :D If I need to download something big, I just download it overnight.

772703590.png

I like my ISP because my connection is very reliable, and has stable speeds. Uptime is about as good as T1, and my IP almost never changes. Two perks, and they're super cheap! ;)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Snow-Okami

Still Fresh
Oh nice! That's around 2.8Mbits. Something is always better than nothing in my opinion!

Exophase

Nothing good will ever come of Exophase.
I pay about $70/month for digital cable + internet at around 1.5Mbit/sec (with around 1Mbit/sec upwidth). For $5 more I could double it, and for $10 more I could quadruple it, but I'm actually pretty content with it as it is now. I think the price is pretty good.

EDIT:

772837068.png

Just as advertised, huh?

Attachments

trooper

Trooper`s watching you !!!
Website
Visit site
I`m perfectly fine with the new speed, It`s great to see it working MUCH better than it
was before.

Great work MWestern, Notaz, ED and all involved. :)

Oh, Must not forget the obligatory length of my cable. :rolleyes:

772734121.png

Trooper

Attachments

multiplex

To focus on the grimmer scenario; ~0.5 Mbit/s (66 KB/s) falls in the 'usable' category as well, but that's about the limit for me. Below that I'd consider it a bit gimped for general browsing and downloading. Gotta download those PNDs and all.

If a better hardware fix were to be discovered up later, I'd consider performing it myself (voiding my warranty, of course).

drenyx

Still Fresh

I'm paying around $35/mo. for service here (still on a sign-up promotion price) and they have faster service if I wanted to pay for it.

The bad part (for the record):
If I was to find a connection elsewhere and wanted to download big files, even a class 2 SD card is supposed to be minimum 2MB/sec.
a 54Mbit/sec wireless link (theoretical) is 6.75Mbyte/sec, say we assume a weaker link and take 1/3rd of that and round down..2MB/sec.

I would say if you wanted to, (since craigx asked many pages ago) 2MB/sec would be a good number to aim for, but as-is I'm sure it's more
than usable and if it does have a bottleneck still I can pop an SD card into desktop/laptop when available.

Hopefully people remember (I have to remind myself sometimes) that when doing these things, there is a lot of unexplored territory involved.
Even software made by the linux community sometimes takes a few days to get a server of various types up and running, whereas we're working
with a much smaller community of contributors with fully custom hardware and software/drivers.

I'll be honest, I am not happy with the repeated delays. If I had known it was going to take this long I would not have preordered my pandora.
But the OP team has kept us all up to date as they have information and as much as we sometimes feel a need to pull our order I'm sure they've
felt somewhere along the way they could just give up on this mess of problems.

If you've read this far, my final $0.02: Soldering is a normal electronics process with circuit boards and can be done at a factory or by someone
with a steady hand and experience. I've seen a friend solder small surface mount components before, and examined his work under a microscope.
It definately is not a last-minute hack-fix (or whatever other terminology surfaced) it is a normal procedure done if there was a damaged component
that needed replacing.

Wikipedia: Surface-mount technology

Kramy

trooper said:
Oh, Must not forget the obligatory length of my cable. :rolleyes:

772734121.png
Triple my speed!?

Well... my ISP has more stars, so THERE! :p

Yes, great job Mweston/notaz and everyone involved. :)

Attachments

dflemstr

It's a ball.
Website
Visit site
Sweden!

(and I've got a shitty connection relative to what most people have here...)
772790396.png

Measured to a local server (which is cheating, kinda, since you usually get much higher speeds to local servers):
772794071.png
Strangely, my connection is faster to Tallinn than it is to Sweden (and I'm like 2km/1mi from the test server distance-wise...)

Attachments

Raz

772798987.png
^^ Local Server

772800227.png
~ 1/3 around the world

My download speeds are usually average 1.5 MB with a high of 2.5 MB and a low of 30 KB. Life's pretty sweet. Got all my streaming and gaming needs out of this.
I'm with the Comcast 3-in-1. I think its 250 channels, a telephone line and 15MB/sec DL with 3MB/sec UL for $120 or so. Most people pay half that for just the internet speed in some areas 0.0. My routers a Belkin N Wireless F5D8233-4 v4. Supports 802.11 b,g and n

But at any rate, would 350 kb/sec be sufficient for streaming. I usually stream heavy stuff like 30 min - 3 hr shows and movies. What if that wasn't the limit?

Attachments

Rathum

Drenyx said:

I'm paying around $35/mo. for service here (still on a sign-up promotion price) and they have faster service if I wanted to pay for it.

The bad part (for the record):
If I was to find a connection elsewhere and wanted to download big files, even a class 2 SD card is supposed to be minimum 2MB/sec.
a 54Mbit/sec wireless link (theoretical) is 6.75Mbyte/sec, say we assume a weaker link and take 1/3rd of that and round down..2MB/sec.

I would say if you wanted to, (since craigx asked many pages ago) 2MB/sec would be a good number to aim for, but as-is I'm sure it's more
than usable and if it does have a bottleneck still I can pop an SD card into desktop/laptop when available.
<snip>
Not all of this is directed at you specifically.

I think you're expecting too much. Speakeasy tells me that I get 15Mbps during prime time and 21Mbps at of times on my laptop and I have never seen a file download faster than 1.2MBps using any means. I don't think I've ever actually seen it exceed that on a hard line, either. You have to keep in mind that this was a "real world" test. MWeston just up and downloaded a few random files off the internet on a connection with God knows what rated speed and got 350kBps. For all we know, the chip could now be achieving its theoretical 54Mbps. Hell, if I just randomly grabbed some files right now, I could probably get a top speed of 100kBps with some bad luck.

We all need to settle down and wait for MWeston (or Notaz if he fixes his Pandora himself) to give some new numbers from better tests.

Sander Hoksbergen

Still Fresh
Incorrect resistor value? What happened? An extra 'k' after the resistor value on the PCB design? (ie. 100k instead of 100)

VRAndy

Very Active Member
Rathum said:
We all need to settle down and wait for MWeston (or Notaz if he fixes his Pandora himself) to give some new numbers from better tests.
Yea, there's no rush. It'll still be at least two months before we get our hands on these things! A lot could change in that time!

Status
Not open for further replies.