Pandora Wi-Fi On 350kilobytes/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have to have your own full blown file server to be able to properly test the intranet transfer speeds, just a file share will work fine. I'm sure MWeston knows that already though.

Dead1nside said:
You don't have to have your own full blown file server to be able to properly test the intranet transfer speeds, just a file share will work fine. I'm sure MWeston knows that already though.
My question is, why hasn't he done that already?

Last edited by a moderator:
r00tw00t said:
Okay, well. I live in Sweden and my ISP is Telia and they're offering 1000/100 were I live. Want me to run tptest or some other tests that can easily be faked?
I don't see the point proving something to you., I don't get anything out of it. I'll just continue enjoying my highspeed net.

Oh well. So what is the point to tell us how wonderful is you connection?

Just out of curiosity, what speed reports speedtest.net? Feel free to fake it :p

Awakening said:
Dead1nside said:
My question is, why hasn't he done that already?
Setting up a server, even a file share, is not a zero cost operation. If you've never had a file share on your computer before, it can take more than a few minutes to get it working. It's possible he doesn't feel like taking the time (even if it is only a few minutes) until he's sure he's solved the problem as far as he can with his internet connection.

VRAndy said:
DroneB Dev said:
darkblu said:
craigix said:
I'm sure you will be delighted to know Michael saw 606KB last night.
60KB/s more and we're there.

2/3 of a Mb/s?

ohh yeah ok i get it nvm.

2/3 of a Mb/s is 85KB/s
Oh gosh

2/3 MB/s is ok for you? now? i preffer Mbps vs Mb/s and Kbps vs Kb/s so its another matter of standard stupidity that keeps the world splitted.

also i hate to guess with computer dates is it (08/08/08) dmy mdy ymd argh. (yes i know if a different lang order stuff differently but even so country's with same lang use different notations.

so after all the bla bla bla.

can someone of the OPT clear are we talking of 606 Kilobytes/s or Kilobits/s

Mithrildor said:
He is still busy fixing?

MWeston your the best! You really put your heart and soul in the project!

Finding out that the factory change did cause all these problems and that they are hardware related is actually nice.. MW can now put all his efforts in making sure that the module is connected as it should since other changes could have been made by the factory without permission. I approve this delay, MW should only stop tweaking when he is sure that the module is 100% well connected and not when a satisfactory speed is achieved. :p

Probably other components should be tested too, like bluetooth and SD card speed

or maybe he's a hardware guru and not a serious networking user beyond basic internet, I write code for fun, C,C++,Ruby,basic,Python,Lisp,COBOL,Forth,Assembler etc, but I know nothing about networking and hardly any HTML, I have no interest in networking at all, just in writing standalone apps for my own amusement (so they only need to run on a local machine), so maybe he doesn't know HOW to set up tests on a local network, all I do with mine is stream video/internet to the main tv, took me a day of Googling to set it up, if anything went wrong with it I'd be back to uncle Google, no real interest in networking you see, so don't remember it.

We're still not sure what the extent of his test was, for all we know he could possibly get faster speeds under different circumstances.

You clearly didn't read what I wrote before you typed.

BackAssward said:
...Remember it was working before, now it is working a bit better. It's functionality has simply increased not been repaired*.

*Disclaimer: This is going off the current speeds given. If it is still going to be tweaked and tested, great. I am going off the information at present.

Ass, reading comprehension isn't a hard thing.

Id like to know what exactly about my post required you to respond with an insult. The speed quoted was achieved under an unknown set of circumstances at the time. Seriously, you said it your self you're only going by the information available and that's all anyone had. If I were a less calm person this would have escalated into another screaming/cursing match for no reason, there's no need for that type of nonsense.

Just to make people jealous:
773938113.png
Also look at that ping...
University Campus. Campuswide ethernet(fiber backbone, 100mbit from the switches), 2x10Gbit to ams-ix (a ring connecting most large educational institutions in NL). Costs me €10,-/month.
No download-limit, but I do have an UPLOAD-limit of 50GB/week, and bittorrent easily goes over that in a single night...

So, well yeah, my Pandora will the limiting factor, no matter what speed... But my desktop will be serving as a server (on-the fly transcoding, remote-X, remote (caching) fs, that sort of stuff), which will help a lot :) .

Attachments

• 773938113.png
    773938113.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 78
BackAssward said:
Ass, reading comprehension isn't a hard thing.

Less of the insults please.

I can only assume that English is not YOUR native tongue (judging by a lot of your previous posts),
Spare a thought for others that may also not have English as their first language too.

Trooper

darkblu said:
craigix said:
I'm sure you will be delighted to know Michael saw 606KB last night.
60KB/s more and we're there.
34 actually, because we all know that "640K is enough for everybody".

Laurencevde said:
Just to make people jealous:
773938113.png
Also look at that ping...
University Campus. Campuswide ethernet(fiber backbone, 100mbit from the switches), 2x10Gbit to ams-ix (a ring connecting most large educational institutions in NL). Costs me €10,-/month.
No download-limit, but I do have an UPLOAD-limit of 50GB/week, and bittorrent easily goes over that in a single night...

So, well yeah, my Pandora will the limiting factor, no matter what speed... But my desktop will be serving as a server (on-the fly transcoding, remote-X, remote (caching) fs, that sort of stuff), which will help a lot :) .

774138635.png

Unfortunately, there's a 3GB daily limit. But, I only pay $40 a semester for it.

Attachments

• 773938113.png
    773938113.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 774138635.png
    774138635.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 80
Copy some files over WiFi with no other bottlenecks and see what happens. If you have several gigabytes of anime or other large files, each GB will take 2995 seconds (50 minutes) at that speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back