Wi-Fi Encrption?

majingohan99

Still Fresh
Hi
I hate being the guy who asks a question that has probably been already asked but here it goes

will the pandora support WPA-PSK (TKIP) wi-fi encryption as i don't want to purchase it and relize i can't gain access to the internet via wi-fi. Also if it is supported does it work out the box or will there have to be a complicated script which will look like it was written by xior from the planet zorg. ??
Lol
XD

hope i find out soon
(btw i did a search on the forum for:
WPA
WPA-PSK
WPA-PSK (TKIP)
and found nothing (i don't believe no one has brought this up, you all seem like a bright bunch)

Of course it will, it will be an option in the Network Manager GUI or whatever brand of Network Manager we're using.
The Pandora would be a useless piece of crap if it couldn't use encrypted networks... which you may notice EVERY other similar device supports. Fuck, even the DS supports WPA IIRC. This is like asking if it supports USB mass storage.

majingohan99 said:
Hi
I hate being the guy who asks a question that has probably been already asked but here it goes

will the pandora support WPA-PSK (TKIP) wi-fi encryption as i don't want to purchase it and relize i can't gain access to the internet via wi-fi. Also if it is supported does it work out the box or will there have to be a complicated script which will look like it was written by xior from the planet zorg. ??
Lol
XD

hope i find out soon
WPA
WPA-PSK
WPA-PSK (TKIP)
and found nothing (i don't believe no one has brought this up, you all seem like a bright bunch)
Yes.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:
lulzfish said:
Of course it will, it will be an option in the Network Manager GUI or whatever brand of Network Manager we're using.
The Pandora would be a useless piece of crap if it couldn't use encrypted networks... which you may notice EVERY other similar device supports. Fuck, even the DS supports WPA IIRC. This is like asking if it supports USB mass storage.

Only the DSi. I've got one of the original ones, so our home network is still WEP.

Tom` said:
majingohan99 said:
Hi

Lol
XD

hope i find out soon
WPA
WPA-PSK
WPA-PSK (TKIP)
Yes.

Source
nice, thank you very much, just wanted all the information before dived in and got one

Windows (XP and Vista at least) doesn't support WPA or anything newer. WEP is all you're getting out of it unless you have one of those drivers that doesn't suck and reinvented the wheel for Microsoft. So I guess it's natural for people to question this. Also, my iPAQ doesn't support WPA. Seriously, it's a business phone, what the hell? Then again, linux is pretty damn awesome when it comes to drivers.

Who said the DS support WPA? Because they obviously have never had a DS. Even the DSi wont support WPA if it's using DS games.

CoMiKe said:
If the driver supports it, Windows supports it. And that's true for 90% of drivers, I think.
And thus proving that someone read the first sentence, but not the one directly after it. also, I've never encountered a linux driver that does not support every form of wireless encryption imaginable which leads me to believe there's a generic framework somewhere. Why is it then that I have not 1, but 2 network cards that even with XP SP3 does not support WPA without special utilities from my card manufacturer and my girlfriend has a third card. I'm baffled by this.

Tokiopop said:
Who said the DS support WPA? Because they obviously have never had a DS. Even the DSi wont support WPA if it's using DS games.
I have, but I made the classic mistake of assuming Nintendo wasn't stupid.
My network was upgraded to WPA a while back, and I just haven't used my DS since then.

Tokiopop said:

The DSi still supports WPA, but not the old kernel that the DSi goes into when playing normal DS games...

Kloplop321 said:
Tokiopop said:

The DSi still supports WPA, but not the old kernel that the DSi goes into when playing normal DS games...
That's why I said "the DSi wont support WPA if it's using DS games", implying it has WPA but still can't use it in games.

Edited wrong C&P :p

Tokiopop said:
Kloplop321 said:
Tokiopop said:

That's why I said "the DSi wont support WPA if it's using DS games", implying it has WPA but still can't use it in games.

Edited wrong C&P :p

Yeah the DS is pretty lame in that regards, which is why I use MAC address authentication on my network.

That is why I use WEP and MAC address Auth on my network :p
Something in encryption is better than nothing in encryption, and then I have it so only our computers can connect.

Kloplop321 said:
Something in encryption is better than nothing in encryption, and then I have it so only our computers can connect.
Same works for me. WEP may not be the best, but my neighbours have open networks. I don't have to run faster than the lion, I just have to run faster than you. ;)
(the lion is a hacker, and "you" being my neighbour with the open network.)

Kloplop321 said:
then I have it so only our computers can connect.
Sorry, but thats not true! It's not impossible to find out which MAC-addresses are in use and pick one of those. Maybe it keeps away some basic use-foreign-internet-accesses-dudes, but _security_ is something different.
With WPA2 you are much more secure than with a MAC-filter and WEP.

ricki said:
Kloplop321 said:
then I have it so only our computers can connect.
Sorry, but thats not true! It's not impossible to find out which MAC-addresses are in use and pick one of those. Maybe it keeps away some basic use-foreign-internet-accesses-dudes, but _security_ is something different.
With WPA2 you are much more secure than with a MAC-filter and WEP.

Yes I know that, but It isn't like I shop over WiFi, I only do that on hardwire connections. I know about mac spoofing. I've managed to do that with my PSP before.

Vlynndar said:
lulzfish said:

Only the DSi. I've got one of the original ones, so our home network is still WEP.
Ow! Ik kom naar Nederlands op Maandag. Waar woont je? I could use some free internet.

WizardStan said:
Kloplop321 said:
Same works for me. WEP may not be the best, but my neighbours have open networks. I don't have to run faster than the lion, I just have to run faster than you. ;)
(the lion is a hacker, and "you" being my neighbour with the open network.)

I feel sad that you think you have to explain the lion allegory. Even sadder that you might be justified in thinking that... Mr. Zebra.

may88 said:
Vlynndar said:
lulzfish said:

Ow! Ik kom naar Nederlands op Maandag. Waar woont je? I could use some free internet.

Somewhere in the North. Have fun with 150KB/s :lol:

Back