Pandora Wallpaper Thread.

greendots said:
For any one who would like to use it, I rendered the logo at 5000x1200 pixels. Its a less-than-200k PNG file made in blender. Its not perfect but Ill try to release the svg as soon as I find a way to export it from blender.
thanks! what font is the text in? i made a 3d version of the logo without too much trouble, but without a font the text could be tricky...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to see localized Pandora wallpapers. So, would anyone bother making me a Norse themed Pandora wallpaper? :p

I did a little sketch, but I'm not all that clever with image editors.

pandora2_s_w.png

Hypomanic said:
I'd love to see localized Pandora wallpapers. So, would anyone bother making me a Norse themed Pandora wallpaper? :p

pandora2_s_w.png
That is awesome! I agree we seriously need some Norse themed Pandora wallpaper, can anyone deliver?

ZenFinder said:
That is awesome! I agree we seriously need some Norse themed Pandora wallpaper, can anyone deliver?
+1 to this request! I like the sketch quite a bit, it could just stand to be cleaner and higher resolution.

ZenFinder said:
Hypomanic said:

Well the only problem with this idea is that Pandora comes from Greek mythology, not Norse (it would still make a nice wallpaper though).

To go with the Greek theme, here is a generic wallpaper:
pandora3gj1.png

The Greek phrase literally translates: Pandora, open the "storage jar". The original word from the story, pithos, was improperly translated 500+ years ago to "box" instead of "jar".

This wallpaper should also work well on the Pandora itself.
(For best results, set bg to center with white background)
(Image: public domain)

ZenFinder said:
Hypomanic said:
I'd love to see localized Pandora wallpapers. So, would anyone bother making me a Norse themed Pandora wallpaper? :p I did a little sketch, but I'm not all that clever with image editors.

Sure, I can help with some Nordic pride, despite the discontinuity. I didn't have any high resolution rock, so here's a Pandora resolution rock-chisel look, and a black and white PDF for all those high resolution complaints. I changed the runes from repeating "PANDORA" to a slightly mangled old norse translation of:

I (am) Yamara, (I am) Hypomanic's runemaster.
The Pandora has not been hit by the sun and has not been carved with (iron) knife.
No strange men shall remove the Pandora.
Defense against the evil-doer.

It seemed an appropriate ward against glare, scratches and theft. In Googling for appropriate runes, it seemed that most runestones named the writer/artist, so I included that.
- Pandora resolution rock chisel
- Black and white PDF of overlay artwork

I was fairly bored today, so I decided to make some wallpapers for the Pandora. No doubt a lot of you will be using Ubuntu on the system, so I'll assume you'd like some nice backgrounds, eh?

All of my wallpapers are 800x480, and are PNG's.

Coldplay:
http://i38.tinypic.com/2zfpflz.png

Earth:
http://i35.tinypic.com/f2iknm.png

Final Fantasy VI:
http://i36.tinypic.com/2ecjhqg.png

GLaDOS:
http://i38.tinypic.com/2zdr67k.png

Mario:
http://i38.tinypic.com/t69dds.png

Orange Disco:
http://i34.tinypic.com/317frwo.png

Liberty Leading the People:
http://i34.tinypic.com/119b9c3.png

I did these for regular wallpapers, but since they're retro gaming they should work fine as pandora walls. :D

opa-opa_pandora.jpg

ristar_pandora.jpg

WhereMyArm said:
I did these for regular wallpapers, but since they're retro gaming they should work fine as pandora walls. :D

opa-opa_pandora.jpg

ristar_pandora.jpg
OK those two are fracking awesome!

Any chance you could do larger versions for the PC, in WS formats too

Yamara said:
ZenFinder said:
Hypomanic said:
I'd love to see localized Pandora wallpapers. So, would anyone bother making me a Norse themed Pandora wallpaper? :p I did a little sketch, but I'm not all that clever with image editors.

Sure, I can help with some Nordic pride, despite the discontinuity. I didn't have any high resolution rock, so here's a Pandora resolution rock-chisel look, and a black and white PDF for all those high resolution complaints. I changed the runes from repeating "PANDORA" to a slightly mangled old norse translation of:

I (am) Yamara, (I am) Hypomanic's runemaster.
The Pandora has not been hit by the sun and has not been carved with (iron) knife.
No strange men shall remove the Pandora.
Defense against the evil-doer.

It seemed an appropriate ward against glare, scratches and theft. In Googling for appropriate runes, it seemed that most runestones named the writer/artist, so I included that.
- Pandora resolution rock chisel
- Black and white PDF of overlay artwork

That B&W image might look cool on a t-shirt... ;)

WhereMyArm said:

opa-opa_pandora.jpg

ristar_pandora.jpg
how did you make those? (that is if you made them)

Nat said QUOTE
The Greek phrase literally translates: Pandora, open the "storage jar". The original word from the story, pithos, was improperly translated 500+ years ago to "box" instead of "jar".

+1

I was wondering when that would be brought up. Sadly Pandora's storage jar just doesn't hold up against our common misconception based upon sloppy prior scholarship. I'll tell you what, lets call it the 'Grail'......

Only the round table, which arguably wasn't headed by any chap called Arthur until romantics re-invented him from a mish mash of prior war lords tall tales, probably wasn't round and just maybe, wasn't attended by a consortium of dedicated fellows searching for a cup. Camelot is a silly place anyway and like a Pandora prototype is merely made of cardboard afterall. So whats next?

Well, as the DEV team whispered among themselves....

"After we receive the pre-orders and deliver them, shared between us on a line, gripped by the shells, we shall leap from within the units and surprise our customers with our powers!"

Which of course they shan't be able to do and shan't need to, as the machine itself, a collaboration of their wise souls efforts and the input of their masses in tow, shall stand a testament unto itself. For all with eyes to see and ears to hear, shall see before them without dispute, a new king among them, a legend born anew.

I made them both using Lightwave 9.5. Here's the full-size renders I did, 1920x1200 PNG's. I can resize them too if you don't have the means. :)

Ristar
Opa-Opa

Back