Pandora vs Samsung NC10 Netbook (looking for advice)

squall987

Still Fresh
Greetings Pandora Community!

I had recently bought a laptop more as a desktop replacement. Being too large to carry around with me, it's had been eyeing something smaller, such as a netbook, for portable internet use. If I were to get a Netbook, it'd be Samsung's NC10, which is around $380-440.

At the same time, I've been interested in getting a GP2X-like product for the last couple years for gaming on the go, but never felt satisfied with the products put out. The Wiz looks like it's a little dissapointing as well.

Now I've discovered the Pandora, which looks like a fine little device for both gaming, and web browsing.

I suppose my first question would be; Will the Pandora suit my needs for both an internet capable device, like a netbook, while also being the portable gaming device I've been waiting for? I don't doubt it's gaming capabilities (though I'd still appreciate opinions on the controller buttons) though I do wonder if it can also handle tasks typically suited for a Netbook (how's the cursor control, instant messenger support, etc). If I could combine my need for 2 devices into 1 at an affordable $330, I may consider doing so.

On a scale of Tech Saavy-ness, I'm probably an average joe, so the specs of each device mean little to me.
Would someone be able to draw up a basic comparison list and talk about the capabilities of each.. or perhaps inject a little advice and discussion on the matter?

I look forward to your insight. :)

Well, if you want gaming with basic web browsing, the Pandora's going to be hard to beat, especially the battery life.

Control shouldn't be an issue (touchscreens make things easy), and just about every IM protocol should work fine.

The only things I see a netbook having over the Pandora are:

-screen real estate (not necessarily, but possibly, resolution, but physical size)

-keyboard (not positive on this one, but you definitely won't be touch-typing on the Pandora. I haven't used netbooks, so I don't know if you can on those either)

-Flash (The Pandora will likely support it to some extent, but how far is up in the air AFAIK)

Anyway, in terms of objective speed, the Pandora should feel overall snappier.

Just my $0.02

I would suggest that you start by searching on the term netbook. You will find a number of discussions comparing the Pandora to a netbook and a discussion from folks who intend to use their Pandora for netbook-like functions.

The Pandora is pocket-sized, so you'll find it's much more portable than ANY netbook.
However, you won't be able to do Windows/x86 stuff, so games will be a little limited until more developers start coming in.

Basically, you can use most of the Internet [Flash is perpetually a dick, but they'll figure something out] and just about any Linux desktop application.. GIMP, Pidgin, Audacity...

It's like a smaller netbook but without the ability to run Windows. No big deal in the long run.

Also, since it's smaller and more efficient, the battery life is around 8 or 9 hours. My 17 inch laptop has maybe a 2 hour battery on the new battery, and I expect netbooks are around 4 or 5, but the Pandora still owns them for actual portability.

Whilst waiting for my pre-ordered Pandora (and waiting for the third revision of the Wiz) I've just bought a Samsung NC10.

It's not truly portable - there's no way it fits in your jacket pocket, for instance. It is small though. It has an excellent keyboard that only took a couple of hours to get used to for touch typing. It has no gaming controls. That said, it is great for casual games (I like me a few popcap games here and there, and they run smoothly). The screen is 1024x600, and looks nice, Not as nice as the newer laptop displays - I also recently bought a Samsung R600+ cheap, and the screen is vastly superior in picture quality - but it does the job. XP is nice and responsive on it.

You'll need a mouse, as the trackpad isn't up to much.

Tbh, I'll ditch it when I get the pandora in a couple of months or so, as it's a nice little machine to give to a niece or nephew.

Oh yes, finger prints on the glossy lid. Lots of :-(

Back