Pandora As A Netbook

:) OK, now we have a point. Using it for college only is impractical, yeah. Obviously it wasn't designed for that.

But if I'm not mistaken, she(I guess it's a she, since mentioned a boyfriend) is asking for an *coughexcusecough* to get a pandora. (s)he wants a gaming device, but must justify it.

So, yes you can use it as a netbook, but won't be the same. :)

Of course, correct me if i'm wrong.

Note: Thanks for merging the threads Chip!

Edit: Typos

Last edited by a moderator:
like i said, its not something il be using 6 hours on school. more like 2 hours at a conference.
Its quite handy then, especially with the high resolution for sharp images and text. I dont think il be having any problems using this as a netbook for making notes. ima already using my ds sometimes for quick notes, and that screen is just crap :p But i only do that when my iphone3g is empty > what happens alot :(

I would advise getting something like a cheap desktop in addition to the Pandora. It's fine as a pocket PC, and it's almost like a netbook, but you can't use a pocket computer as your ONLY computer in college. Unless you like using computer labs, or thumb-typing essays. I just wouldn't consider it a full replacement for a netbook.

I wouldn't consider a netbook a full replacement for a desktop, either.

It really depends on what you want to have and what you need. The pandora will let you make almost everything you can do with a netbook, but it won't be as comfortable. It's almost the same if you compare a netbook to a laptop.
So, if you only need a portable computer from time to time and for certain tasks, the pandora might be a better choice for a take-to-university-device, then a netbook. You don't need to take a backpack with you all the time, you can use it almost everywhere and it won't disturb you when you have it in your pocket. You can use it while standing and that can really be usefull in some situations (like when no chair and table are around)

'lulzfish' said:
I would advise getting something like a cheap desktop in addition to the Pandora. It's fine as a pocket PC, and it's almost like a netbook, but you can't use a pocket computer as your ONLY computer in college. Unless you like using computer labs, or thumb-typing essays. I just wouldn't consider it a full replacement for a netbook.
you have no idea how jaleaus everyone in the class will be :p so its quite usefull after all :D
and i just use my notebook for school. power enough to play unreal tournament 3 online when the rest is sleeping :)

Unless you've used a netbook for an extended period and know that the keyboard is acceptable to you, then I wouldn't recommend taking long notes or writing papers on one of them any more than I'd recommend doing it on a Pandora. I'm not saying it is impossible (netbook keyboards are getting better and some people have small hands), but you will be typing hundreds of pages worth of papers each semester. You don't want to have to do that on something that is not comfortable.

Netbooks have definite limitations, as does the Pandora. The important thing to remember is that neither is meant to be your primary computer. They're both meant to be supplementary to a full sized PC or laptop. As an extra, take-everywhere computer, a Pandora would be just as useful as a netbook unless you're one of the lucky few who can comfortably touch-type on a netbook keyboard.

'Chip' said:
but you will be typing hundreds of pages worth of papers each semester.
Wow, what major did you begrudge yourself with? I never had to type hundreds of pages worth of papers...

Okay, I mostly repeat what others have said.
You probably not want the Pandora as a complete replacement for your laptop/netbook/whatever, but it is (in my opinion) quite possible. Sure, most people don't wanna cause of the screen, but it IS possible.
Also, the portability of the Pandora is quite useful. I mean, to take quick notes and stuff. You can write the essays and do your primary schoolwork at a regular computer anyway, but the portability is very interesting for at least me. Especially since the typing isn't a problem (just plug in a nice small USB-keyboard, it's still more portable than netbooks). The screen isn't a problem for me, taking notes ain't hard with that size. (Just imagine a PSP with 4x the pixeldensity)

At my university, we actually use paper for taking notes. about 1/100 would use a notebook and that are the people nobody would talk to - they don't even like each other. Some have a laptop with them, but only for browsing the web and actually writing protocols/making presentations in the "free" hours.
Considering how many people use their mobile phones to play minigolf via bluetooth, the pandora would probably still look damn cool compared to a netbook and a lot cooler then a notebook... :D

You could always hook up a rollable bluetooth keyboard and keep the Pandora in your pocket, but people might think you are crazy...

Hundreds of pages of papers? I'm at the end of my freshman year and I haven't written a single paper yet...

Ok i just want to say that i know what the pandora is and what a netbook is, and of course i dont want to use a netbook or pandora as my primary computer, i have a full size laptop at home that i would write the majority of papers and whatnot on, i would just use the netbook or pandora for getting a head start on a paper between class or something and just transfer it over to my laptop at home to actually do it...i just dont see the sense in buying another 2 to 3 hundred dollar purchase on a netbook if the pandora is just as good if not better for my needs. Anyway, thanks alot for the great answers! Ya'll are alot of help! lol and im a guy not a girl to whoever was saying that

'Vorporeal' said:
Hundreds of pages of papers? I'm at the end of my freshman year and I haven't written a single paper yet...
I have my master thesis and a few courses left (about a year or so), and I have written (and published) one research paper and even that was just because I wanted to. At least here in Finland, original research is needed in postgraduate studies (after masters), but not before. However, there will be several hundred pages to write in form of assignments.

the question is, will it arrive in time for when you need it? when does the semester start? or are you there already? we could be in for a long wait. a Netbook would arrive within a week, delivery pending.

I think the pandora will be fine to type on, so long as you're used to the small keys or get a usb/bluetooth keyboard. You can hook it up to a TV or monitor too if the screen's a problem for you. On the road it shouldn't be, but at home it's a different environment...

'WizardStan' said:
Get a piece of paper or cardboard and cut it to 93.6 x 56.2 mm (3.7 x 2.2 inches). That's the size of the screen
uh? thought screen was 4.3", not 3.7"?

'sparkymark' said:
'WizardStan' said:
Get a piece of paper or cardboard and cut it to 93.6 x 56.2 mm (3.7 x 2.2 inches). That's the size of the screen

yes of course, but 4.3' diagonal = 3.7' * 2.2'

'Elwing' said:
'sparkymark' said:
'WizardStan' said:
Get a piece of paper or cardboard and cut it to 93.6 x 56.2 mm (3.7 x 2.2 inches). That''s the size of the screen

yes of course, but 4.3' diagonal = 3.7' * 2.2'

I'm not saying that's incorrect but i just created a canvas with those dimensions in photoshop, It looks tiny.

can someone post an accurate picture of the screen, i tried to but my adobe is definitely showing me something sized incorrectly. I measured it with a ruler :p

Back