Pandora For Not So Fun Uses

Dead1nside said:
From what I gather the keyboard is far superior to any phone's, although not ideally suited to heavy text input it is quite capable. I also intend to use it for taking notes in class and bought the Think Outside Stowaway Bluetooth Keyboard to this affect. The Pandora is such a powerful device, I'm going to hook it up to my 3G phone via BT, and the keyboard via BT, might get a pair of Bluetooth headphones/earphones as well soon. The battery life is great so this couples well with these tasks where a normal laptop would fall down during a busy schedule.

i wonder how vulnerable the pandora is to bluetooth hackers.

Last edited by a moderator:
dokcipher said:
Dead1nside said:
From what I gather the keyboard is far superior to any phone's, although not ideally suited to heavy text input it is quite capable. I also intend to use it for taking notes in class and bought the Think Outside Stowaway Bluetooth Keyboard to this affect. The Pandora is such a powerful device, I'm going to hook it up to my 3G phone via BT, and the keyboard via BT, might get a pair of Bluetooth headphones/earphones as well soon. The battery life is great so this couples well with these tasks where a normal laptop would fall down during a busy schedule.

i wonder how vulnerable the pandora is to bluetooth hackers.

OK, call Exophase. =P

craigix said:
A video of typing and more boring 'office' stuff is in the works.

The nice thing about the Pandora is that you can thumb type on it in many places where typing on a laptop/netbook would be impossible, or at least very cramped/difficult.

You can just take the Pandora out your inside pocket (where I keep mine), flip it open, thumb type, close, put away. I really like that.

Also on a train or bus you don't need a flip down table.

It's a weird mix of the convenience of a phone but the input of a netbook.

I'm so glad we went with a keyboard. I cannot wait to see what you chaps think of it.
Yay:) dont eat to much pasta or drink vodka that much:p
i always wanted a video about office uses, desktop theme changing and re-ordering stuff. Maby that can be included?:)

joy:)

craigix said:
Don't forget to show, how speical characters are typed (Ä Ö Ü for example)we haven't seen this yet and I think people outside of english speaking Countries are very interested in this. ;)

fusion_power said:
craigix said:
Don't forget to show, how speical characters are typed (Ä Ö Ü for example)we haven't seen this yet and I think people outside of english speaking Countries are very interested in this. ;)

Well, I'd like to see it too... (specially ç à á é í ó ú ã õ ã ô which are constantly used in portuguese)

I would really like something like

I don't have enough knowledge to make something like that (I'd like adding graphs by dragging and dropping, with re-sizable axes and such), though it would be a good excuse to get that knowledge.

Vlynndar said:

I don't have enough knowledge to make something like that (I'd like adding graphs by dragging and dropping, with re-sizable axes and such), though it would be a good excuse to get that knowledge.

thats a pretty sweet app

Vlynndar said:

Any link? Im on my iphone and cant see what you posted...

borgqueenx said:
Vlynndar said:

Any link? Im on my iphone and cant see what you posted...

Here. And this is a link to the video on youtube.

pretty sweet app, the concept is great for ultra small screens, but it wouldn't be optimum for class use

GizmoTheGreen said:
iirc someone is even making a software specifically for that purpose, or he was just thinking of it.

I'm working on one in Visual Basic, hoping that it will work with MONO on the Pandora. There's a thread about it here.

At the moment everything that has been implemented appears to be working as it should. The only thing that hasn't been coded yet is the recording and concatenation of audio. Playback works fine, and clicking on the various bookmarks jumps the the appropriate location in the audio and brings up the associated notes.

I have no idea when I'll be able to get around to finishing it though - I've got assignments coming out of my arse at the moment - might not be until September or so.

Near-kun said:
dokcipher said:
professors provide pre-made slides aka powerpoints and pdfs and expect you to take notes as they talk about the shit on the slides. other professors just straight up talk and expect you to take notes. but yeah, couldnt be more that 500mb per semester i think.

Well, in that case you are assuming the notes are being taken on the slides.

This semester, I tried for the first time to take all my notes in txts. The avarage size of the folders by the end of the semester per subject is around 5mb (subjects with a lot of really dense lessons have taken up to 15mb).

However, this Xournal seems to be really interesting... I'm not sure about how it work (can't test it because I'm not in my own PC here during the holidays). I assume you can type as well as you can handwrite/draw on the same space? If thats the case, Pandora coul be the ultimate note-taking device for me in college.

My original idea was to stick with gdocs for note-taking with the Pandora, since it is really really light (just the weight of your browser), and allow remote access from different PCs (and that is going to happen)

Well, with Xournal you can basically draw or handwrite with the stylus, or type, in any place you want. It let's you load a background file, for example a PDF, so you can take notes over it and of course save them. The files doesn't weight too much, and you can export your work to another PDF wich would be the original + the annotations, in case you want to see them in another computer without Xournal.

It also has other tools like fluorescent markers, different colour pens, or stuff like that, so you can really make notes like the ones you take onto real paper.

Very worthy in my opinion, it's more complete than the note-taker shown in the video posted by Vlynndar, and can also do everything that one does.

Wheels said:
O:-|| takes a while to open up even on my dual-core 1.6Ghz laptop. I have no idea how zippy/non-zippy it would be on Pandora hardware. Maybe one of the devs has tried it?
A default install of openoffice usually uses pretty conservative memory settings. You can allocate more in the preferences, which usually speeds up launch anyway.

fusion_power said:

Many months ago, somebody showed a png with keyboard/button mappings that had one of the shoulder buttons, iirc, mapped to the Compose key. If that's the case, then it should be really easy to set up and customize typing of special characters via editing the ~/.XCompose file (or using the defaults).

Was the mapping actually accurate and implemented, or was it just a contemplative mockup -- anybody know? And if it wasn't, I should be able to do it easily with setxkbmap like I'd do on any other X11-based system, right?

Dead1nside said:

I would really like a review of this keyboard and how it works with the Pandora. Is the stand removable? Can it be used on a soft surface or in your lap?

machielo said:
Well, with Xournal you can basically draw or handwrite with the stylus, or type, in any place you want. It let's you load a background file, for example a PDF, so you can take notes over it and of course save them. The files doesn't weight too much, and you can export your work to another PDF wich would be the original + the annotations, in case you want to see them in another computer without Xournal.

It also has other tools like fluorescent markers, different colour pens, or stuff like that, so you can really make notes like the ones you take onto real paper.

Very worthy in my opinion, it's more complete than the note-taker shown in the video posted by Vlynndar, and can also do everything that one does.

Wow, this little puppy seems like the perfect designer's tool. I design board games and this would allow me to draw and write notes however I want, and with my Pandora anywhere I want! It is also perfect for commenting printable materials since I can draw and write on top of PDFs and send back. And with the analogue sticks for scrolling.

I'm wondering if it can import images. It would be great to put artwork into PDFs together with my notes and illustrations.

Definitely something you can just pull up and show off to people :)

Awakening said:
Dead1nside said:

I would really like a review of this keyboard and how it works with the Pandora. Is the stand removable? Can it be used on a soft surface or in your lap?

Yes sorry I was trying to get around to writing a review of it for my website but I haven't got my Pandora yet.

There are some other reviews about, they're what I based my purchasing decision on. It's very strong, seems to be made out of some metal alloy, perhaps magnesium and plastic, the keys are just like full size laptop keys but it's only a three-row keyboard, you need Fn to access some punctuation and the number keys.

They don't make these keyboards anymore so they're a little hard to find, I paid £30 for mine brand new. The battery life is meant to be good, it runs off two AAA batteries.

It is sturdy enough so that you can type on your lap, like all new input devices I'm sure it takes a little bit of practice to get up to full speed but it's sure to be a lot faster than the Pandora keyboard (which is still great but suited to thumb-typing).

I've used it with my Symbian S60 phone (Nokia N82) and also paired it with Fedora 11 and started using it for typing, it works great, it's all detected fine as a standard HIG compliant device so there's no special drivers, although there is for S60.

I plan to take the Pandora and the keyboard around with me to classes, the 4.3' screen is a lot bigger than the 2.4' screen on my phone, which would never realistically have been easy to take notes on.

Back