Smartq V7 Vs Pandora

borgqueenx

Website
gdteam.net
SmartQ7 pro's in comparision to pandora:
-Larger Screen. (7inch and pandora got 4,3inch)
-Better speakers(if i believe the description on dealextreme and things i heard on this forum)
-Easier to use touch screen.
-300 more mAh then pandora for power. (not a big advantage but still)

SmartQ7 cons's in comparision to pandora:
-Bigger screen but same resolution as pandora.
-Pandora got more secure design to pretect itself.
-Pandora got nicer design and looks more sexy(opinion).
-No gaming controls.
-No keyboard(only virtual, but actually not much buttons at all!)
-128mB RAM. Pandora got 256mB.
-The pre-installed OS.(opinion, but i think alot more people agree with me)
-No GPU.

4 pro's and 8 con's. (obvious choice)

I still want my pandora but devices are getting close to beating pandora.

While searching for Touchbook info tonight, I came across this post:

torpor said:
I have a Smart Q7. Its rubbish. Terrible build quality and disastrous OS. Next.

The post below that one said the Smart Q7 was awesome... as an e-reader. Look out Pandora!

Last edited by a moderator:
It has no GPU. The onboard OS is garbage. Quality control is atrocious.

I have a Touchbook too, but I'm not going to rant against it here .. go to the AI forums and search for torpor if you want to know my opinion. Its been very useful as a development machine for me in the last 2 weeks, though, and has definitely been good getting me ready for Pandora when it arrives. Touchbook + Pandora + Beagleboard == OMAP development heaven. I can build apps *on* the Touchbook for the Pandora and Beagleboard, binary compatible, very nice ..

SmartQ7 is a load of rubbish at this point, I seriously regret getting it. Not worth EU150.

borgqueenx said:
-No gaming controls.

Done. You want some MID you've got lots of choices, show me what this one offers over all the rest. These comparison threads are all the same too.

torpor said:

I have a Touchbook too, but I'm not going to rant against it here .. go to the AI forums and search for torpor if you want to know my opinion. Its been very useful as a development machine for me in the last 2 weeks, though, and has definitely been good getting me ready for Pandora when it arrives. Touchbook + Pandora + Beagleboard == OMAP development heaven. I can build apps *on* the Touchbook for the Pandora and Beagleboard, binary compatible, very nice ..

SmartQ7 is a load of rubbish at this point, I seriously regret getting it. Not worth EU150.
i also thought the OS is rubbish if i see the pictures...i got it confirmed now, added it to the con's list:)

Exophase said:
borgqueenx said:
-No gaming controls.

Done. You want some MID you've got lots of choices, show me what this one offers over all the rest. These comparison threads are all the same too.
i just wanna make comparisions of new handheld devices. i want the best for my money, and the pandora is still on nr1.

I think I had a review open but I closed it, I think it may have been from a older version. Anyway, if this was open I might get it, it's pretty cool. It looks like the flood of ARM devices (other than phones) is coming. Grab your board and ride the wave.

borgqueenx said:
craigix said:
The fault rate of smart devices is shocking. Really really bad QC.
i thought you'd be pretty positive when you would reply here. You did make a small video about the smart Q5 right?

I did, and I liked them until we started getting loads of them returned with faults.

torpor said:

Thank you for the post, I was actually trying to PM you just a few hours ago about this! I was debating picking up a Touchbook, but have decided against it because of your review.

It's a shame, though. The Touch Book could be amazing... I was seriously impressed with it until I found their atrocious QC and cheap parts. I still want one, but looks like I'm waiting...

Gary13579 said:
torpor said:

Thank you for the post, I was actually trying to PM you just a few hours ago about this! I was debating picking up a Touchbook, but have decided against it because of your review.

It's a shame, though. The Touch Book could be amazing... I was seriously impressed with it until I found their atrocious QC and cheap parts. I still want one, but looks like I'm waiting...
Man, this gives me an ill feeling. I almost canceled my Pandora order to get the Touch Book thinking I'd get the Pandora on the second batch. Now I'm glad I didn't. I used a netbook about the same size and decided against it, I wanted something smaller, so for me the deciding factor was the pocket factor.

Makes me sad that the Touch Book isn't that great though, I was still planning on getting one, maybe they'll make a revision that fixes all the problems. As far as the OS I think software on these devices will get better, especially the open ones, because a flood of ARM devices is coming.

Prepare the Ark of Open Source and take two of every GUI on to it.

second exodous said:
Gary13579 said:
torpor said:

Man, this gives me an ill feeling. I almost canceled my Pandora order to get the Touch Book thinking I'd get the Pandora on the second batch. Now I'm glad I didn't. I used a netbook about the same size and decided against it, I wanted something smaller, so for me the deciding factor was the pocket factor.

Makes me sad that the Touch Book isn't that great though, I was still planning on getting one, maybe they'll make a revision that fixes all the problems. As far as the OS I think software on these devices will get better, especially the open ones, because a flood of ARM devices is coming.

Prepare the Ark of Open Source and take two of every GUI on to it.

You have no idea, I almost canceled my Pandora preorder for it. I would take something that amazing over the Pandora, sorry to say. The concept is just absolutely amazing.

craig, seriously, Pandora v2... look at the Touch Book. I will personally buy 5 just to get it made.

The Touchbook, even with its problems, is still a very nice little computer. Okay, its stupid that it falls over on its ass when you put it on the table, the plastic is cheap and nasty .. but the experience so far has been a positive one. I can't tell you how happy I was to boot it up, "cd /usr/bin/ai/examples/glTeapot && make && ./teapot" .. how long has it been that you've had a computing experience where everything - I mean everything - you needed to write software for the sexy hardware, was installed *on the sexy hardware*. So, so great. I loved that, and it made me very happy to be honest.

The battery life sucks, the industrial design is atrocious (put it on a table and it falls over, wtf), and there are other issues: but the spirit of the TBOS community is strong and vibrant, and I think it will reflect very much on our Pandora experience in the future.

One thing thats very nice about the Touchbook: I'm using it to develop stuff for the Pandora. Together they'll be a very nice pair..

SmartQ7 has a GPU. There are 2D drivers for Linux, but no 3D yet. The information for writing such a driver is available, though.

Back