Pandora Vs Eee Pc Specifications

lubidog said:
javaJake said:
...then how do I decide which one I should buy? ;)

There is some sort of comparison, folks. Just a matter of figuring out what I'd think. This sort of thing would be nice to show people and say "Hey look, it really is better."
Better at doing what....?
Jakey, makes no sense! It's like saying "Shall I buy a pandora or a hoover?"

Ummm.. that's not a very good analogy.

Last edited by a moderator:
javaJake said:
You decide what you want you want it for, then look at all the information and decide which best fits your requirements.

There is some sort of comparison, folks. Just a matter of figuring out what I'd think. This sort of thing would be nice to show people and say "Hey look, it really is better."

Better relative to what? If you want to write a lot of documents and just play a few simple games, the bigger keyboard and screen may be better, what would you care about "better" pixel shading?

If you want something that fits in your pocket, being smaller is better.

Adventus said:
what a joke. you can't say the Eee PC CPU is only slightly faster. And where did you get the DMIPS value for the CPU?

Also why is the Pandora awarded the GPU prize? Sure, it's more advanced, but at maybe half the performance.

Sure, they can be compared, but this is an obvious distortion of a fanboy.
Yea i agree, Its hard to compare the GPU & CPU performace. The GMA doesnt have HW T&L/vertex shaders.... so thats emulated in software incuring a greater cost to the CPU. Then theres the fact that the eee cpu & gpu share the same Bus & memory. Is this the same on Pandora? Or does it have a dedicated bus.
The bus used for the GPU on the Pandora is so dedicated that it's into the CPU itself! ;)

Pandora uses OMAP from TI, OMAP family are SoC. Do you know what means SoC? System on Chip, it means the complete system mostly on the same chip (with some exceptions like RAM, wifi and others...).

The comparisons are pretty insane and laughable imo, one is a 'handheld' unit and the other is a small laptop end of....one you can hold in your hands the other you sit on the table or your lap! Try holding and playing a game on your laptop in the palms of your hands!
If you want a laptop you might as well get a much better spec one for £299 than an Eee, plus much bigger 15" screen, higher res more ram, windows WOW!

Lock this thread if I were you, it truely is laughable! :rolleyes:

Plus coming up next week my comparison between a Sinclair ZX1 and Supervision - which one has more power per game ratio!

I'm not entirely certain about certain aspects of the spreadsheet - most notably, it seems very unfair to judge the CPU on it's performance per watt, assuming (as is the case) that battery life is later taken into account, which it is.

If you want to take that into account, by all means do, but do it as a separate figure. Call it "portability and power efficiency rating" or something. Calculate it by, say, taking some rating of the CPU (whether MHz or Dmips - neither are great as I understand it), multiplying by the low-end battery life, and dividing by how much bigger than a DS-Lite (or whatever your "ideal size" is reckoned to be - bigger deviation = lower score) each are.

The thread is, however, legit - AirTamStorm has stated that this is a work in progress spreadsheet; it is - but it's worth having the specs side by side so long as they are accurate. It's just that there's some subjectivity here which probably shouldn't be there.

Viking said:
WOW!

All I wanted was to get enough people to complain so the Pandora would get a better screen resolution. >_<

YOU HEARD ME CRAIGX! GIVE PANDORA A HIGHER RESOLUTION!
Considering that the resolution is basically the same as the PSP, why are you whining for more resolution.

Here's a hint:

More resolution means more transistors to push the pixels to the screen fast enough.
More transistors means more current drain and more heat.
More transistors means more juice is needed to power the beast.

With the current level of tech, it's not practical to jam "higher resolution" into this small of a device. Troll all you want for it- it's just not going to happen in anything less than that eeePC 900 in size right at this time.

quartercast said:
lubidog said:
javaJake said:

Better at doing what....?
Jakey, makes no sense! It's like saying "Shall I buy a pandora or a hoover?"

Ummm.. that's not a very good analogy.

Why? They both do different things, or are primarily designed to. Maybe I should have said "Shall I buy a pandora or a laptop...?"?

And the thread is valid cos people keep banging on about the two together.

I'm not too sure that the comparision between the Eee and the Pandora is so out to lunch. Games were not what got me excited about this product to begin with. It was the capabilites and flexibilty of a portable device. My job involves alot of travelling, and it would be nice to have a portable media player, web browser, email client, note taker, and something to play games on once in a while too. The Eee and the Pandora both have the potential to do these things, and I even considered deciding between the Eee and the XO-1 (Ebay!). After finding the Pandora, I find that it suits my particular needs better than the Eee. I would prefer the longer battery life and the multimedia horsepower that the Pandora promises, and also it can do the "other stuff" with ease.

It also makes me flinch everytime I see someone imply strongly that the Pandora is Only Meant For Games. It isn't. It was also meant to be a cheap, powerful, and portable Linux based mini-computer. Hell, you could slap a USB GPS antenna, and with the right software, you also have a GPS with a kick-ass battery life.

Both the Eee and the Pandora are extremely flexible, but I think that the Pandora has got better guts where it counts.

AireTamStorm said:
PLEASE help me edit this document to a much more neutral and refined resource so that the people who are looking for information regarding both devices will have one. Become a collaborator.
I'd be happy to - how do I do that?

chad78 said:
AireTamStorm said:
PLEASE help me edit this document to a much more neutral and refined resource so that the people who are looking for information regarding both devices will have one. Become a collaborator.
I'd be happy to - how do I do that?

You're on the collaborator list.

I've done a ton of updates, removed the bolding and underlining UNTIL EVERY DEVICE IN THAT FIELD HAS A SOURCE. If you're a collaborator, put your source below in the notes section, with your name after it.

I've asterisked all the fields that do not have sources.

Edit: @Tobriand: Removed all the bolding for the time being. Perfomance per watt seemed like a better comparison because of the ultra-mobility of both devices, but we'll leave that to debate here on the forums.

Remember guys, just like the CPUs can be directly compared through performance, their power usage is important as well, as it has an effect on how long you can ultimately use the device away from power.

There are many ways to compare any number of things to eachother, and we need to find the most neutral approach to it, taking into account performance, power usage,
efficiency, and most importantly how it will affect the user. If there is an uncertainty on how we should compare any of the specifications, please discuss that here.

Parkydr said:
If you want something that fits in your pocket, being smaller is better.
There's a good start! Compare sizes. Let the reader decide what's better for their use, but at least show which is mostly better. :)

Timmy said:
I'm not too sure that the comparision between the Eee and the Pandora is so out to lunch. Games were not what got me excited about this product to begin with. It was the capabilites and flexibilty of a portable device. My job involves alot of travelling, and it would be nice to have a portable media player, web browser, email client, note taker, and something to play games on once in a while too. The Eee and the Pandora both have the potential to do these things, and I even considered deciding between the Eee and the XO-1 (Ebay!). After finding the Pandora, I find that it suits my particular needs better than the Eee. I would prefer the longer battery life and the multimedia horsepower that the Pandora promises, and also it can do the "other stuff" with ease.
That's what I've been trying to say. :p

Svartalf said:
Viking said:
WOW!

All I wanted was to get enough people to complain so the Pandora would get a better screen resolution. >_<

Considering that the resolution is basically the same as the PSP, why are you whining for more resolution.

Actually it's almost double the PSP resolution, 480*272 vs 800*480.

craigix said:
Svartalf said:
Viking said:
WOW!

Craigix, have you been doing your math?

480*272=130560
800*480=384000

It's almost three times the psp resolution.

chad78 said:
I updated the spreadsheet with more info about the Eee PC - especially the 700 model.
Thanks, cite a second source if you can.

Anybody with a good link to some GMA 900 or PowerVR SGX info please post your sources here or become a collaborator. Thanks ahead of time.

I personally think that this is a fair comparison, it is kinda like comparing a laptop to a desktop. There are things you just cannot do with one that you can do with the other, but there is a whole ton of overlap.

Timmy said:
It also makes me flinch everytime I see someone imply strongly that the Pandora is Only Meant For Games. It isn't. It was also meant to be a cheap, powerful, and portable Linux based mini-computer. Hell, you could slap a USB GPS antenna, and with the right software, you also have a GPS with a kick-ass battery life.
Heh... Indeed. And even THAT description falls flat on its face short of what this thing is probably capable of.

Forgive those that think that the Pandora "Is Only Meant For Games". They're wearing blinders not entirely of
their own making or fault really. Look around you in this forum. What forum is this? The GP32 forum.

The forum for the first and second effectively open sourced OS target platform for handheld gaming.
The home of homebrew game development that doesn't need to hack around the damn console to get there.

To many, the Pandora is just the next generation of that lineage of devices. It is that- but many haven't the
background or experience to think past just the gaming aspects of the device. All they see is the souped up
GP2X machine- and again, they'd be right in that thinking. But they've not all twigged onto the fact that the
Pandora is really a UMPC, tuned for the purposes of gaming first and foremost without scrimping
much at all on the UMPC abilities

AireTamStorm said:
Thanks, cite a second source if you can.
Added more info - and 3 more sources. Removed a lot of * added Audio category.

craigix said:
Well... Forgive my error, CraigX. Not owning a PSP or DS (Heh... My EX saw to that story...and for some 8+ years of it at that... >:) )...I was being cautious. ;)

So, as someone pointed out- nearly THREE times the resolution of the PSP.

WVGA's actually a NICE resolution, really. I've been playing Zelda: Twilight Princess at 480i- and it's VERY nice
and immersive. Why people think that high resolutions and all mean better immersion, is beyond me. UT2k4's
more immersive than UT3 for all of it being intrinsically an eye candy update of the same engine. UT2k4's more
fun to play than UT3 from what little exposure I've had of it, not being able to buy a Linux version as they
promised us.

Eye candy, in and of itself, does NOT make for a game. So far, there's only been a couple of PS3 titles that've caught my attention and most of the 360 titles just don't interest me much.

Besides, I still stand by my claim here. More resolution means more transistors. What we're seeing here is the peak performance space. Higher resolutions past what we're seeing here with Pandora means higher power consumption or lower gaming capabilities. In a handheld, more juice means hotter running, less runtime to play with. A full-on laptop makes more sense for anything past this one right at the moment- and the eeePC isn't that class of machine yet.

Svartalf said:
More resolution means more transistors. What we're seeing here is the peak performance space. Higher resolutions past what we're seeing here with Pandora means higher power consumption or lower gaming capabilities.

On top of more transistors it also requires more memory bandwidth, which leads to extremely wide data paths and expensive RAM.

Back