Collected Pandora Specs & Comparison

Kyosys said:
it's also ironic that I find you here, CronoTriggerfan, It's me, Kyo from benheck.

Anyway, very nice table.

Yo Kyo, sup man? It feels so weird being here, no mod powers to throw around and abuse... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow when you see the comparisons of prices side by side Pandora is going to have to really prove itself considering the brand names products always drop yearly in price.
I can't believe NDS has a NeoGeo emulator with only 4MB of ram.

TaG said:
if anybody came to these forums and compared Pandora and the Nokia tablets they seem very similar. Is there any way for the summary sheet to help emphasize the brilliance of Pandora?
I think it comes down to the built-in gaming controls. Pandora has a (proper) Dpad, two analogue sticks, two shoulder buttons and 4 proper face buttons, along with start/select and others. IMHO that is an absolutely fundamental difference and is why I would choose the Pandora over any other handheld device.

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
are the nokia tablets web browsers good? do they play stuff like flash?
will firefox3 port to pandora be able to do everything the nokia tablets can?
thx
I use several different browsers on my N800, these days mostly links2 with graphics support for more light weight web pages, but also xulrunner + mybrowser (gecko 1.9 engine, same as FF3), midori (webkit engine, like Safari), epiphany (also using webkit), and sometimes microB, they all work well enough for me, except when I load a ton of crap and run out of memory..

Flash works fine with xulrunner, and the default browser (microB), I haven't bothered trying to get it working anywhere else, since I rarely care to use Flash.

Supposedly the next ITOS release (diablo) has a faster Flash plugin.

A Firefox 3 port on the Pandora should be able to do everything the tablets can, just faster :)

If you've got the EEE PC on there, you might also want to add the upcoming MSI Wind, which looks to be far superior. (Meaning far superior to the EEE, not the Pandora.)

Windows or Linux, 1.6Ghz Atom, 1GB RAM/ 512 MB, bluetooth option, 1024x600 10" screen, 3hrs battery on the 3-cell battery, 80GB HD, webcam, 802.11b/g.

$400 for the Linux, 512MB/ No Bluetooth option.
$550 for the Win, 1GB/ Bluetooth option with a 6-cell battery.

Hm, also the N810's original RRP was US$479.99 -- it's now available for under $400, but still, it's more expensive than Pandora -- I was under the impression it was a fair bit cheaper!

thx for the reply, dblank!
and thanks to chad78, for this great topic!

btw, I don't agree the psp media player is Limited (while dslite modded is Yes)
same with card reader, where psp is Limited and pandora is Yes. (both should be Yes, or else pandora is limited since you only read 1 media kind, having 2 slots don't prevent it from beeing considered limited)
and the gp2x @ 161g is certainly without the batteries, right? the fair would be to list the average size with batteries also

GunPei2X said:
TaG said:
if anybody came to these forums and compared Pandora and the Nokia tablets they seem very similar. Is there any way for the summary sheet to help emphasize the brilliance of Pandora?

I think it comes down to the built-in gaming controls. Pandora has a (proper) Dpad, two analogue sticks, two shoulder buttons and 4 proper face buttons, along with start/select and others. IMHO that is an absolutely fundamental difference and is why I would choose the Pandora over any other handheld device.

Agreed. And that it's designed with open source principles so that you really can do what you want with it. As I see it, you, I and many on these forums understand pretty much what the Pandora is and also what it probably isn't. But that's not the purpose of the document. I think it would be great if somebody could sum that up in the document.

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
Sorry if I am wrong on this because I rarely use the PSP for media, but can't it only play one format of video (at least in unmodded state)?

same with card reader, where psp is Limited and pandora is Yes. (both should be Yes, or else pandora is limited since you only read 1 media kind, having 2 slots don't prevent it from beeing considered limited)

Pandora could probably plug in a USB card reader to read any type of card. Maybe "limited" was also referring to the Sony Memory Stick being smaller capacity and more expensive than SD?

btw chad, I think iPhone's gaming controls can now be listed as "extra purchase" after craigix's "other project" -- http://www.icontrolpad.com/

CronoTriggerfan said:
By the way, chad, it's ironic that I find you here, as I've been a long-time subscriber to your YouTube videos. Keep 'em up! :p
Cool! Thanks! Glad you like them. But, I hope you don't like.... BUTTERMILK RANCH!!!

Ok... Self referential humor will be kept to a minimum. But, seriously, thanks for watching. :)
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
thanks to chad78, for this great topic!
np
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but my PSP will only play movies that are especially formatted for the PSP. At least that's all I've gotten to work on them. Plus, the number of formats that the PSP can play is very limited, when compared to MPlayer, VLC, or even Windows Media Player. That, added to the small screen, is why "limited" seemed appropriate. Make a good argument, and I'll change it.
same with card reader, where psp is Limited and pandora is Yes. (both should be Yes, or else pandora is limited since you only read 1 media kind, having 2 slots don't prevent it from being considered limited)
It's limited because it's an expensive propriatary format. It's not that the Pandora has two slots and the PSP has one. It's that the Pandora can accept SD, SDHC, MicroSD/Transflash, MiniSD, MicroSDHC, MiniSDHC, and possibly MMC. The PSP can only accept Memory Stick Pro Duo, and MicroSD through an adapter - at least that I'm aware of. Again, I'm open to being proven wrong.
and the gp2x @ 161g is certainly without the batteries, right? the fair would be to list the average size with batteries also
I don't know about the GP2X - that's all AireTamStorm's department. I've never seen one in real life. But, if it runs off of batteries - it makes sense to add the weight of the batteries, since you obviously have to hold those up, too, when you use it. If you can give me a source with that info - I'll be happy to add it.
GunPei2X said:
Hm, also the N810's original RRP was US$479.99 -- it's now available for under $400, but still, it's more expensive than Pandora -- I was under the impression it was a fair bit cheaper!
N800 = $179 - $249 depending on where you shop. No GPS and no physical keyboard on the N800, though.
GunPei2X said:
Sorry if I am wrong on this because I rarely use the PSP for media, but can't it only play one format of video (at least in unmodded state)?
True - and, in my experience, modding hasn't changed that.
Pandora could probably plug in a USB card reader to read any type of card. Maybe "limited" was also referring to the Sony Memory Stick being smaller capacity and more expensive than SD?
True. I wasn't thinking of the USB card reader, though. If I were, I'd have to list that as "extra prchase". I was thinking of the size / cost factor.
btw chad, I think iPhone's gaming controls can now be listed as "extra purchase" after craigix's "other project" -- http://www.icontrolpad.com/
Done.
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
are the nokia tablets web browsers good? do they play stuff like flash?
will firefox3 port to pandora be able to do everything the nokia tablets can?
Full flash support on the N8X0. I watched YouTube on my N800 all the time.

Actually, the Flash support on the Pandora is *likely* but not guarenteed. but since the Flash format is open now, it's very likely.

Plus, the full version of Firefox 3 will support all (Linux compatible) extensions. Unlike the microB browser on the Nokias - that only supported a select few that were ported to that system. (Fortunately, the most important ones - AdBlock, FlashBlock, and GreaseMonkey - were the ones that were ported.)

chad78 said:
N800 = $179 - $249 depending on where you shop. No GPS and no physical keyboard on the N800, though.
That sounds like a much better deal to me.

Will Nano be available on the Pandora?

And should it be noted that one could use Pictochat to temporarily make notes(until Pictochat is exited or the DS is turned off)?

Also Gamecubes are dirt cheap, at least in the states(29.99 used at EB).

Edited for a minor grammar mistake.

KRH said:
Will Nano be available on the Pandora?

Why would anyone want that ugly thing? It should run AbiWord or something like it. Yikes. It's like a bastard son of WordPerfect 1 from hell by way of the 1980s.
And should it be noted that one could use Pictochat to temporarily make notes(until Pictochat is exited or the DS is turned off)?
Having tried that myself in the past - it's worthless. Repeating the note to yourself over and over and over again out loud is far more effective.
Also Gamecubes are dirt cheap, at least in the states(29.99 used at EB).
Um, ok. That's true, and it's an interesdting fact, but what does that have have to do with what we're talking about? No one is comparing the Pandora to a non-handheld console. Plus, that's the used price. You can get used systems/devices at all kinds of prices if you look around long enough. I've been given a Dreamcast before from some guy who just didn't want it anymore. That doesn't mean the Dreamcast is free. I just don't understand where that came from.

Sorry,I was Just ranting off everything I noticed missing in the spreadsheet.

Edit:Sorry,I was looking at the wrong chart when I brought up the Gamecube,Thank you for making me aware of that.

I chose Nano because it seemed to fit the category of note-taker and was certainly under system requirements.

I've never actually spent more then 5 minutes with a DS, but figured it was at least a potential function.

By the way, since the Eee PCs got Game Pads listed should the Pandora also get Game Pads listed? Sorry if my previous post was a bit stupid.

KRH said:
Sorry,I was Just ranting off everything I noticed missing in the spreadsheet.
It's fine. I'm sorry if I seemed like I was attacking. I was just confused. That, and, well Nano was just scary looking! :eek: QUOTE
Edit:Sorry,I was looking at the wrong chart when I brought up the Gamecube,Thank you for making me aware of that.
No problem. I'm actually thinking of getting one of those GameCubes - just to throw in the basement. My roommate has a Wii, so it's a bit redundant. But I'm also the guy that has a DS Lite *and* a GameBoy Micro. (Equally as redudant.) If nothing else, it's better to spend $30 to get the console and the controller than to spend $25 and get just the controller.QUOTE
I chose Nano because it seemed to fit the category of note-taker and was certainly under system requirements.
It should work. But far more powerful programs, like AbiWord, VIM, emacs, and possibly even OpenOffice.org will work, too. Also, there will be a web browser - so things like Google Docs & Spreadsheets will be a possibility. (Although they might be slow.)QUOTE
I've never actually spent more then 5 minutes with a DS, but figured it was at least a potential function.
You weren't wrong in your thinking. I just literally have tried it before, and it didn't work very well at all. The worst part was trying to decipher my tech-degraded chicken scratches when I got home - assuming the battery held, and I didn't touch the screen on the way home.QUOTE
By the way, since the Eee PCs got Game Pads listed should the Pandora also get Game Pads listed? Sorry if my previous post was a bit stupid.
You got it. It's been added (along with mouse, since that's also true.)

chad78 said:
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but my PSP will only play movies that are especially formatted for the PSP. At least that's all I've gotten to work on them. Plus, the number of formats that the PSP can play is very limited, when compared to MPlayer, VLC, or even Windows Media Player. That, added to the small screen, is why "limited" seemed appropriate. Make a good argument, and I'll change it.

i don't think the psp media player should be considered a "Yes", I just pointed it because I think the dslite modded should definitely be considered a "Limited" :p
I was just comparing both, and found it weird to see the nds better than psp at media :huh: the dslite should be No/Limited(extra purchase or modded)

DisgruntleElf said:
Wow when you see the comparisons of prices side by side Pandora is going to have to really prove itself considering the brand names products always drop yearly in price.
Well, you do have a point. (That's the reason I never bought -and never will buy- a GP2X or GP32. The big boys are cheaper, play up-to-date-games, and can emu with the best of them once modded.) But that's part of the reason for this chart. People might see the Pandora and say "I already have a PSP, and it was cheaper!" and then you show them all the stuff the Pandora can do (be a real computer) that the PSP can't (surf the web worth a crap). And, also, from the other side, people saying "Why do I need a Pandora? I can get a [Eee PC/N810/HP MiniNote] for just a little bit more." Then you show them the pocket-ability and touchscreen(in the case of the submotebooks), the better processor (in the case of the pocket UMPCs), the gaming controls and the lower price (in almost all cases).QUOTE
I can't believe NDS has a NeoGeo emulator with only 4MB of ram.
It's a Neo Geo pocket emu called "NDS NeoPop"

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
The dslite should be No/Limited(extra purchase or modded)
Compliance.

chad78 said:
Someone was asking for a single page of specs - and didn't know there already was one - since the original thread has been buried on page 2 for a while - and since the name was a bit misleading, since it had evolved so much - I created a new thread.

The more complete specifications here: (AireTamStorm)
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=df9b28k5_...b27fw&hl=en

Modified from AireTamStorm's other spreadsheet at:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=df9b28k5_...brtcv&hl=en

Current Editors:
AireTamStorm (the originator)
Chad78 (me)

If you have something you'd like to add, or a correction to make - please become a contributor, (there's a link at the bottom of the document to request to be able to edit the document - Google account required, I think)

Needs more emulator section work ; )

I'd be more then happy to work on the emu section if no one else will.

Anyways...(Waiting for editing approval)

In the emulation section what is "Atari" specifically? What are "Special Features?

The Dimensions for the GP2X are 5.65” x 3.26” x 1.34

Gaming Controls- The Pandoras Dual Analog Sticks come with a Click Function.

Inputs/Analog Controls- The GP2X F200 needs touchscreen listed on both.

Ethernet- USB Ethernet adapters exist and is likely that a hand full can be used on the Pandora.

Backlight- I remember reading that the Pandora used one of the screens in the Archos 6XX series, All of which (I think) use backlighting.

Weight- The PSP section has awkward formating.(Could just be my computer?)

Operating System- According to the other chart the GP2X can make use of Linux Kernel 2.6

Back