Collected Pandora Specs & Comparison

chad78

Website
Visit site
Someone was asking for a single page of specs - and didn't know there already was one - since the original thread has been buried on page 2 for a while - and since the name was a bit misleading, since it had evolved so much - I created a new thread.

The more complete specifications here: (AireTamStorm)
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=df9b28k5_...b27fw&hl=en

Modified from AireTamStorm's other spreadsheet at:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=df9b28k5_...brtcv&hl=en

Current Editors:
AireTamStorm (the originator)
Chad78 (me)

If you have something you'd like to add, or a correction to make - please become a contributor, (there's a link at the bottom of the document to request to be able to edit the document - Google account required, I think)

Last edited by a moderator:
norm said:
one thing to correct, neither the 701 or 900 model eee pc's have bluetooth AFAIK
Thanks - I forgot that my summary was outdated and had be integrated into the main document - so it's all in one now (and that fact was already corrected there). So I just removed the link to the obsolete document.

Correction:
Asus eeepc 900 internal storage is 20 gigs for linux version and 12 for xp.

Suggestion:
the aspect ratio of 5:3 should not be bold as it is an opinion.
10 hours is the max battery life for DS but minimum battery life for pandora

magicman5421 said:
chad78 said:
Aki said:
You could add the DS lite weight - 216 grams.
Sauce? :D

?

That's "Source?" in some southern accent I think.

I really haven't had the time to get to this, I got my PSP modded to see what can run. I'll start updating the emulation sheet here soon. You've added a ton of into (great job btw), hopefully we'll get this finished here soon.

Added the newly announced BLUETOOTH to the Pandora! It's kicking major butt all on fronts, now!

notaz said:
Just for completeness, PSP chipset is called "ALLEGREX".
Added - do you have a source for that? We just like to be able to cite something.

Thanks for the compilation, chad, good stuff to brush up on! :p

But could someone please explain to me how the EEEpc and other subnotebooks are even remotely similar to Pandora? I don't get it. To me, it's like comparing, say, the PSP to a MacBook. Sure, many of the functions of the two overlap, but each are tailored to very different uses overall. Is there something I'm missing here?

CronoTriggerfan said:
Thanks for the compilation, chad, good stuff to brush up on! :p

But could someone please explain to me how the EEEpc and other subnotebooks are even remotely similar to Pandora? I don't get it. To me, it's like comparing, say, the PSP to a MacBook. Sure, many of the functions of the two overlap, but each are tailored to very different uses overall. Is there something I'm missing here?
Yes, you are missing that many people *have* compared the Eee PC to the Pandora. With many people making that comparison - it seemed like a good idea to start the comparison chart. And, I didn't start the sheet (or do most of the work) - that honor goes to AireTamStorm.

Here's the thing. People see a clamshell subnotebook computer and they instantly think Eee PC - add to that the fact that the Pandora is under $500 and runs Linux - the ties are strengthened.

It would be like coming out with a touchscreen phone any time after the iPhone. Whether or not there was any other basis for the comparison - that's the comparison that will be made. It doesn't matter if your design predates even the rumors of the iPhone - or that your phone has half the features at 1/4 the cost - or twice the features at half the cost - or a QWERTY slideout keyboard - or runs Windows Mobile - or is slate green.... It will be compared to the iPhone every time.

There are similarities, like I said, subnotebook clamshell design, QWERTY keyboard, WiFi, Linux, under $500, has had the label UMPC applied, SD card slots, USB slots, same resolution (at least for the 700 series of the Eee PCs), can run desktop Linux, but is not meant to replace your desktop (or, in most cases, your laptop either), etc.

But, you are correct to say that there are many differences. One is closer to a full-sized laptop/keyboard - the other fits in your pocket. One has built-in game controls - the other is not built for gaming at all. One has a touch screen, the other doesn't....

Really, I think the Pandora is most closely related, (I know there's a better word for it, since it's not from the same company or anything... most similar to? I dunno), the Nokia Internet Tablets (N770, N800, N810, N819 WiMax Edition). At least far more closely than to the Eee PC. Similar size, same CPU architectures, same screen resolution, similar size screen, both run Linux, both (could) run Maemo, thumb keyboards (when present), touchscreen, BlueTooth, SD Card as main memory, open source software, open platform, D-Pads....

I think it's far more similar to the N800 than the PSP.

And, also, I do understand your point. The Eee PC and the Pandora have different purposes, different target audiences, different pros & cons - but they are similar enough to compare. And since so many people (there's another thread on the front page of this very forum right now where someone is torn between the two) are asking why have this when you can have that - the comparison chart was born.

Personally, I'm plan on having both. :)

Here's that thread I mentioned. "I Cant Decide!, Pandora or Eee 900?!?!?!?"

EDITED: Must really learn how to spell: similar.

I'd agree with those statements 100%. I see why people make the comparison, because of the similarities, I just think it's a silly comparison to make. I mean, I'm typing this right now on my EEE, and looking at it, I could never see it as anything more than a small laptop that I can throw in my bag for school and web browsing, whereas when I look at the Pandora, I see far more open-ended possibilities from a gaming standpoint.

By the way, chad, it's ironic that I find you here, as I've been a long-time subscriber to your YouTube videos. Keep 'em up! :p

Hi Chad.

I have read these threads and the docs a few times (good work to you and others, by the way) and the thing that keeps standing out is that if anybody came to these forums and compared Pandora and the Nokia tablets they seem very similar. Is there any way for the summary sheet to help emphasize the brilliance of Pandora? This may help for the future / marketing etc as I'm sure people will still be looking at this doc for months.
I don't think any of the comparisons are meaningful, but that is because I know I want a Pandora.

it's also ironic that I find you here, CronoTriggerfan, It's me, Kyo from benheck.

Anyway, very nice table.

Back