Pandora Ui Mockup...

We just need to make sure that whatever it is we can get to as much power and memory as needed for apps.

If you have some weird hack running in the background and your game freezes or slows down randomly while some background task accesses the CPU that will ruin it.

Remember, no matter how powerful you think the hardware is, someone will always push it to the limits. I can see something like a 3DO, PSX, or N64 emulator needing all of the power it can get. It would be a bad choice to have those run with poor framerates just because you are running some bloated OS. They just need to keep this in mind.

Chip said:
By "More advanced", I believe he means a full windowed desktop like Ubuntu. Some people expect to use their Pandora as a laptop replacement, and a proper desktop GUI works best for that. The "simple" UI is the priority, but you shouldn't think that anybody is going to quit working on alternates once it's done. The more options, the better.
err Ubuntu is not a windows manager it's a variant of Linux - an entire OS with gnome as desktop environment. XFCE which is used in Xubuntu is much lighter and thus is more suitable for :pandora1: . XFCE is a standalone desktop environment that can be installed on any OS which meets certain criteria (Like freeBSD for example). You don't have to run Xubuntu or Debian to use XFCE, I'm sure it's possible to run XFCE on the current Pandora OS, though to my taste Ubuntu arm port will be a) quite useful and b ) will advertise :pandora1: in the eyes of non-geeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the reason for N64 emulation being so much more power-hungry than previous consoles? It's not like the N64 was a very powerful console - heck, the DS can do N64-level graphics.

mazza558 said:
What's the reason for N64 emulation being so much more power-hungry than previous consoles? It's not like the N64 was a very powerful console - heck, the DS can do N64-level graphics.
But it`s not actually emulating the N64 though, Is it, Which is a completely different thing altogether.

Trooper

What I want to know is what is wrong with a GUI like the Nokia Tablets? I know a full XFCE, Gnome, or KDE Desktop is possible, but considering the size of the screen wouldn't something Matchbox based just be more effective? After all, it was made with this type of device in mind.

Personally, I like the Ubuntu Mobile GUI with the large icons with the left and right arrows on either side. Which could then launch sub menus, such as gmenu2x, linuxdistro, console, media player.

Well I would like more than a manager/menu that the PSP has within a year after launch :)
but a menu style like that would be acceptable at launch.

mazza558 said:
Mostly because all of the work was done in hardware on Nintendo special chips.

It is by no means the hardest console to emulate, or the most difficult (PS2?), but it was pretty darn quick, I think it ran at 66mhz and had a 100mhz specialized DSP and 3D engine. The PSX ran at 33mhz and had no 3D capabilities (It had a triangle engine, but couldn't properly render perspective textures).

Thanks for all the cool GUI infos guys.

If Kdrive is accelerated by the hardware and an optimized binary blob then I say use it. It can't be that bad.

As far as "multi-tasking" is concerned, as long as apps that need full access can kill dumb background tasks that is OK.

The shipping GUI is pretty important, but if we are going to choose to load a menu or a multitasking environment, I think the choice should be made before kernel load in the boot code. And/or the ability to switch between the desktop and menu at any time (or choose which loads as default in the settings).

I don't mind X11 accelerated on kdrive at all, if it is fast and stable then why hate it? I am glad to see there is the option of running the menu on SDL as well, options are good.

EvilDragon said:
Yep, the BASIC GUI will be running on kdrive with an enhanced gmenu2x
Superb, Gmenu2X is one the finest bits of code for the GP2X, it's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to be used as a default front end for Pandora.

My only gripe is that we (the community) haven't seen a preview of it in action on the Pandora yet.

Megamixman said:
What I want to know is what is wrong with a GUI like the Nokia Tablets? I know a full XFCE, Gnome, or KDE Desktop is possible, but considering the size of the screen wouldn't something Matchbox based just be more effective? After all, it was made with this type of device in mind.
Will porting be harder with non-standard window manager?
Edit: And by the way Gnome is not a window manager but rather is a desktop environment. The default window manager for gnome is metacity but you can use matchbox with gnome.

_VWV_ said:
Megamixman said:
Will porting be harder with non-standard window manager?
Edit: And by the way Gnome is not a window manager but rather is a desktop environment. The default window manager for gnome is metacity but you can use matchbox with gnome.

It complies to Freedesktop standards..... It just doesn't enable all the features like having multiple windows overlapping each other. It in effect allows 1 window to be up at any one time and switching windows is in effect minimize and maximize. This is the same WM that Maemo uses. Ubuntu Mobile and Moblin also use Matchbox as their WM. You don't have to worry about anything special. Write your application, and just understand that any 1 App can have focus at any one time.

I know Gnome is not a WM, but it seems that quite a few people here think that Linux equates to a full DE like XFCE, Gnome or KDE. Also, I don't think a full Gnome environment is a good idea even if you use matchbox. The slimmed down Gnome Mobile environment that Ubuntu Mobile, Moblin, and Maemo use is a far better alternative.

Back