Pandora Ui Mockup...

icurafu said:
There was always supposed to be an x11 and FB version of the GUI.

I guess the Gmenu2x version is based on FB, which is just what I want.

Regards,

Peter
As in a desktop on X and a launcher on FB (SDL?), two seperate programs?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gmenu2X-like UI is going to work on top of a lightweight x-based window manager (probably Kdrive). It will support multitasking, but it will not be a "windowed" interface. Whatever program has focus will be running full screen and you can switch focus between them.

At least, that's how things are looking.

Chip said:
It will support multitasking, but it will not be a "windowed" interface. Whatever program has focus will be running full screen and you can switch focus between them.
That would be perfect, if you ask me.
For gaming use, the screen resolution is more than enough.
But for laptop/PDA use, the larger the screen resolution available is, the better.

icurafu said:
Sounds Great. Do you know if they are still going down the x11/FB mode select option?
I'm not entirely certain how these things work, but I'm under the impression that the X server is just a process that can be killed on command when a program needs unrestricted access to the FB. I would think the OS would re-initialize it when that program closes, or maybe the program needs to reinitialize it before it quits. You'd need to ask somebody with more Linux knowledge than I for a more accurate answer.

X11 can indeed be killed - it's just another process after all. I'm under the impression that to get FF3 running, X11 also needs to be running. This means the best thing to do is to probably have a 2-button menu at startup using the Kdrive/GPXmenu thingy, which would boot very fast, especially from flash. Look at the DS as an example - we could have a "full desktop mode" button which launches X11 and a lightweight DE (such as LXDE/XFCE/Openbox etc), which would look like a desktop interface. This is where Firefox could be used.

The other button would keep using GPXmenu and give access to gaming stuff.

I still disagree about X11. Kdrive is tiny and a gpxmenu couldn't be much smaller anyway. At most a custom desktop environment (based on efl or like gpxmenu), but killing X11 will most likely never be necessary.

However, runlevels could be used for killing and restarting X11. A program changes the runlevel and X11 quits, then whatever else can start. At the end, the runlevel can be restored.

gmenu2x is an SDL program, and can run in framebuffer or under X11.

AFAIK, by default the pandora will launch kdrive (very light, fast X11 implementation designed for mobile applications), and run gmenu2x (very small, powerful launcher originally designed for the gp2x) on top of it. This is needed for the OMAP's hardware graphics acceleration to work, as the driver is only provided as a binary blob and a kdrive interface.

From the basic gmenu2x interface, you'd the be able to launch any games / emulators / applications you want, or drop out to the window manager / desktop environment of your choice.

parag0n said:
gmenu2x is an SDL program, and can run in framebuffer or under X11.

AFAIK, by default the pandora will launch kdrive (very light, fast X11 implementation designed for mobile applications), and run gmenu2x (very small, powerful launcher originally designed for the gp2x) on top of it. This is needed for the OMAP's hardware graphics acceleration to work, as the driver is only provided as a binary blob and a kdrive interface.

From the basic gmenu2x interface, you'd the be able to launch any games / emulators / applications you want, or drop out to the window manager / desktop environment of your choice.
To the extent that I understand the situation, this is an accurate depiction of how it will work.

Yep, the BASIC GUI will be running on kdrive with an enhanced gmenu2x (you can do semitasking, i.e. use some hotkeys to switch from one fullscreen task to the next one).

There will be an advanced GUI available where you can use multiple windows on one desktop. But first we'll concentrate on the basic GUI since this is more important for most people here.

After that, we'll start working on the advanced GUI.

EvilDragon said:
Yep, the BASIC GUI will be running on kdrive with an enhanced gmenu2x (you can do semitasking, i.e. use some hotkeys to switch from one fullscreen task to the next one).

There will be an advanced GUI available where you can use multiple windows on one desktop. But first we'll concentrate on the basic GUI since this is more important for most people here.

Super :) I can't stand to have it in my hands. Will there some photos of GUI (please :rolleyes: )?

Well, about the basic GUI I wanted to collaborate with the Pandora project coding it. But craigix said there wasn't enough development pandoras for me..

My GUI would have had very interesting features like it being fully customizable by the use of plugins and xml-based skins, and contextual search feature (just type and the search results will be shown on the icon grid), and more interesting things..but well...Perhaps if I buy one on the future I'll code it as an alternative GUI..or not..who knows :lol:

EvilDragon said:

Is there the need for a more advanced gui? XFCE would do fine I think. If user can launch a window manager from the basic gui, it'll do the trick won't it?

_VWV_ said:
Is there the need for a more advanced gui? XFCE would do fine I think. If user can launch a window manager from the basic gui, it'll do the trick won't it?
By "More advanced", I believe he means a full windowed desktop like Ubuntu. Some people expect to use their Pandora as a laptop replacement, and a proper desktop GUI works best for that. The "simple" UI is the priority, but you shouldn't think that anybody is going to quit working on alternates once it's done. The more options, the better.

The only problem I see with using a fully featured WM is how most of them use vertical resolution with tool bars, window titles, menus, and other things that just feel the NEED to eat another 20 or 30 vertical pixels before your applications can have at 'em.

Back