Pandora Os

Status
Not open for further replies.

fragmage

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Is there any news about the OS the Pandora will be running?

I've been lurking around for quite a while now and I'm wondering what the OS is going to look like.

I guess they know something about it since the pre-orders are starting the 30th right?

FragMage said:

I've been lurking around for quite a while now and I'm wondering what the OS is going to look like.

I guess they know something about it since the pre-orders are starting the 30th right?
It will be based on Linux 2.6.26, with a graphical interface consisting of an improved version of GMenu2X on top of kdrive.

All this has been discussed a lot, but one thing I don't think has been made public - will we have access to a real bash shell, or busybox as has been demonstrated on the dev boards?

Last edited by a moderator:
FragMage said:

Lips seem firmly shut on the whole issue. However a simple menu system "better than the GP2X's" had already been developed when a poll was raised asking whether dev units (and money?) should go towards getting more emulators running or developing a kick-ass front end. Kick Ass front end won, so I guess something pretty special is being developed. I hope it's along the lines of Chad's concept.

EvilDragon said:
Yep, the BASIC GUI will be running on kdrive with an enhanced gmenu2x (you can do semitasking, i.e. use some hotkeys to switch from one fullscreen task to the next one).

There will be an advanced GUI available where you can use multiple windows on one desktop. But first we'll concentrate on the basic GUI since this is more important for most people here.

After that, we'll start working on the advanced GUI.

Tom` said:
All this has been discussed a lot, but one thing I don't think has been made public - will we have access to a real bash shell, or busybox as has been demonstrated on the dev boards?
I would also like to know the answer to this question. I hope the answer is yes.

Something similar to the EeePC would be ideal and sounds like its what's happening.

Simple mode like gmenu2x would be great but live it lots of options, I like options :)

Will be interesting on how it works out, I guess anyone who has seen gmenu2x has a good idea how 'simple mode' will work and look, thats a good thing.

I will be interested to see what advanced mode is like, is it a full desktop experience like windows/kde etc etc or a more techy/geeky simple mode with shell, cpu/mem/sd space stats, windowed apps etc

zxxgp said:
Tom` said:
I would also like to know the answer to this question. I hope the answer is yes.

Even if it uses BusyBox (less space, less resources, so I wouldn't be suprised), you can quite easily install bash in less than a minute and run that when you need to.

Pleng said:
Lips seem firmly shut on the whole issue..
I dont think they really have anything ready, I think the hw delays put them behind.
I know where the kdrive is coming from, but I havnt read anything about gmenu2x on top of it.

Pickle said:
Pleng said:
Lips seem firmly shut on the whole issue..
I dont think they really have anything ready, I think the hw delays put them behind.
I know where the kdrive is coming from, but I havnt read anything about gmenu2x on top of it.

I think they said "based off of gmenu2x" I can look it up if you don't want to.

I usually find a post by ED or Craig and then use the "view all posts by this user" option.

Or start in the sticky "official dev updates" thread.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...mp;#entry641837

EvilDragon said:
Yep, the BASIC GUI will be running on kdrive with an enhanced gmenu2x (you can do semitasking, i.e. use some hotkeys to switch from one fullscreen task to the next one).

There will be an advanced GUI available where you can use multiple windows on one desktop. But first we'll concentrate on the basic GUI since this is more important for most people here.

There you go, enhanced Gmenu2X (too be fair the gmenu2x was pretty similar to the Eeepc GUI, as far as I can tell).

Gmenu2X was pretty darn functional, if it is the standard GUI it will just make the system that much better. I hear that it could do framebuffer SDL instead of X/kdrive, but they have an accelerated kdrive binary blob, so why not use it?

Don't make me look that up, use Google.com with site:gp32x.de in the search string. Maybe search X kdrive pandora or something like that

I wonder how Debian like the OS will be. Sure, there will be a custom kernel, but will there be aptitude to install software from the debian repositories? Or will there be a Pandora repository?
How far away will Pandora OS be, from my Dektop Debian?

However, looking forward to September, 15th B)

der_kaim said:
I wonder how Debian like the OS will be. Sure, there will be a custom kernel, but will there be aptitude to install software from the debian repositories? Or will there be a Pandora repository?
How far away will Pandora OS be, from my Dektop Debian?

However, looking forward to September, 15th B)
There will be something akin to a Pandora repository, we were told long ago. As for if it has aptitude, I have no idea.

And I'm looking forward to my Birthday, too. ;)

-God Ginrai

nubie said:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...mp;#entry641837

EvilDragon said:

There you go, enhanced Gmenu2X (too be fair the gmenu2x was pretty similar to the Eeepc GUI, as far as I can tell).

Gmenu2X was pretty darn functional, if it is the standard GUI it will just make the system that much better. I hear that it could do framebuffer SDL instead of X/kdrive, but they have an accelerated kdrive binary blob, so why not use it?

Don't make me look that up, use Google.com with site:gp32x.de in the search string. Maybe search X kdrive pandora or something like that

thanks for the quote, i would like to see some progress soon its getting close the ship period.

Kloplop321 said:
there will always be support for a DOS-like interface :)
in other words BASH
I'll assume you didn't know the term "CLI (Command Line Interface)". Saying that BaSH is "like DOS" will get you flamed to hell, so be careful next time.

Get real guys! A lot of people grew up on DOS, so it's their point of reference. Try telling kids now that the equivalent of Windows used to be a command-line interface, and watch them screw up their face in confusion at the very concept.

The problem here is that the DOS CLI is outdated and people assume any CLI is old and useless. bash is one of those modern CLIs that can do pretty much anything a graphical interface could do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back