Release Pandora System Info

_wb_

Microbe
Staff member
Ridiculously accurate battery information, so you can actually see exactly how fast the battery is (dis)charging and exactly how many micro Ampere hours it has left. Also contains a simple CPU usage monitor (including info on power-saving C-states), and a simple SD card free space pie graph display.

screenshot1.png

The information is extracted from /proc and /sys and from the output of "df". No root privileges required. The battery meter does a small amount of interpolation between two updates of the charge/energy gauge, which is only updated every few seconds (while the meter updates every half second). You can also check your battery health.

Thanks wb, excellent contribution as usual ! I love this ! I was actually planning to do a small app for storage monitoring but maybe there is no need to do one anymore :)

I rated it in the repo as well.

Good to hear you like it :)

I don't really have any further features planned for this, but if there are feature requests (or of course bug reports), I'm of course open to suggestions. I'm not gonna implement things like top (process monitor) though, you should really just use top or one of its more graphical variants.

Also I would be interested in the battery health vs number of recharge cycles graph for the Pandora battery, if you have an old battery feel free to share that information. The info for my own battery is in the screenshot: 91.25% after 59 cycles.

Also I would be interested in the battery health vs number of recharge cycles graph for the Pandora battery, if you have an old battery feel free to share that information. The info for my own battery is in the screenshot: 91.25% after 59 cycles.

Mine is 91% after 38 cycles... looks like I have a slightly worse one than yours :)

if there are feature requests (or of course bug reports)...

Not really a feature per se, but I'd like to suggest design improvements (appearance).

Maybe I should PM you for this.

I've noticed that the battery health percentage can go up by doing full recharges (keep it plugged in even if the battery taskbar app says 100%, until my app stops reporting a positive current flowing in).

Looking forward to a PM (or just a forum reply, it's up to you) with appearance suggestions!

when reading the title, i had a flashback from gamescom.One guy was asking me to open the system/hardware information in system config, because he wanted to see the relevant info, like on his windows pc. I told him that no comparable GUI-thing existed on a linux system and he was shocked.

Damn, we could fake such a dialog, telling it was a 4Ghz Core i7 with 8GB RAM and sell millions :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is pretty cool, some ideas:

• show free NAND space - some people manage to fill it up, this would be quick way to check for that
  • 4V after CPU clock looks weird, actual CPU voltage is ~1.2V, 4V is for battery I guess? You can find actual CPU voltage at /sys/class/regulator/regulator.*/*, where name is vdd_core

more cool things to add if you are still in this mood, in new pages perhaps?:

• RAM information from /proc/meminfo, perhaps a graph with different colors for cache, free and buffers
  • some /proc/interrupts visualization would be cool

static info page:

• firmware version from /etc/op-version
  • uname() output
  • /proc/pvr/version - SGX driver and chip version
  • IP and MAC if wlan0 is up

Last edited by a moderator:
Free NAND space: easy to do if you're running from the NAND, but in the case of running from an SD card, I'd rather not have to mount the NAND just to show that. But I could of course just make it a bar showing free space on /

The voltage is the max OPP setting, it's 3V by default but if you're overvolting it can be 4V or 5V. I thought it made sense to show that number, but maybe I should somehow make it more clear what it means.

Maybe I could add a little RAM bar in the CPU or Storage screen, I dunno which one makes most sense (it is a kind of "storage", but it's closer to the CPU in some way).

Interrupts: I don't really understand what most of that stuff means, so I would have to spend some time learning about it before I can attempt any meaningful visualization.

Thanks for the ideas for the static info page. Wifi stuff isn't static though, maybe that should be a separate screen with some network statistics and graphs.

Currently I don't have a lot of time to work on this (I'm at a conference in Budapest for the next few days, and next week will be quite busy too), so if anyone wants to hack in some additional stuff, feel free to do so (the sources are in the PND as usual) and send me the patches :)

Still OPP number is not voltage, and V associates heavily with volts to me.

Oh and forgot to mention, /sys/devices/platform/omap_hsmmc.*/mmc_host/mmc*/mmc* contains interesting info like manufacturer, date, serial of the SD card.

I should learn more about what OPP actually means, I was assuming that was the max voltage or something like that. What would be a more correct way to display that number? (or is it not that relevant and should I just get rid of it?)

Thanks for the pointers to the SD card info, I might include some of that.

Free NAND space: easy to do if you're running from the NAND
Keep in mind that the free space values of the NAND given by the system are just pessimistic assumptions, the transparent compression makes reliable values impossible.

Does it give the actual free space? (this would correspond to the pessimistic (but true for average but atypical data) assumption that no compression can be achieved for the data you're going to write) Or does it assume some small compression factor to compute the remaining free space?

I didn't even know the NAND was using a compressed fs, I nearly never use it anyway.

I didn't even know the NAND was using a compressed fs, I nearly never use it anyway.

The NAND is useful for the installation of fonts/libraries however. Like for the japanese language support, it basically needs to be installed in the NAND so that you can use it no-matter if you switch cards or not. The NAND is also used for Midi installer (timidity) I believe.

Great tool, thanks!

Here is the info for my quite old battery: 88.49% after 412 cycles

Back