Pandora Review In Linux Format

Actually, I've checked back with the magazine and what's on tuxradar is the whole thing, pretty much word-for-word.

It looked like more on the printed page.

Prometheus said:
Even in shortened form, it's a massive improvement over the "Green Park Holdings" Wiz one, though. :)

True, but it's really not doing the ingenuity of the Pandora any justice. They could have tried a little harder - they are after all being paid for this and it's being printed in a well read magazine.

Dave1234 said:
Actually, I've checked back with the magazine and what's on tuxradar is the whole thing, pretty much word-for-word.

It looked like more on the printed page.

Wow, that's even worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe we should contact them to get them to do a proper review with a real pandora if it's as bad as you say... then again, it's technically an unfinished product with it's higher-end features currently disabled... so no review will REALLY do it justice at this point...

Nova said:
True, but it's really not doing the ingenuity of the Pandora any justice. They could have tried a little harder - they are after all being paid for this and it's being printed in a well read magazine.
Oh, I quite agree.

Compared to the aforementioned Wiz review, and to the piece about DSLinux (I don't know if anyone here saw that one, as it was a couple of years back, but it involved claims that installing DSLinux voids your Nintendo DS' warranty and prevents it from playing DS games - if you've used it, you know that it isn't installed at all and that some DS models can't be flashed anyway, and it's run from a microSD card :p ), I'd still have to say it's good, though. :p

I haven't heard back from their editor, incidentally, but I guess that's moot since the review is now on Tuxradar.

I can't remember them ever giving a hardware review more than one page.

In any case, it's not like it's a negative review, just a brief one.

Dave1234 said:
I can't remember them ever giving a hardware review more than one page.

In any case, it's not like it's a negative review, just a brief one.

It's not even a review, it's more of a preview, there's very little personal opinion, apart from hurr durr, it's harder to use than the Wiz.

Did OP even provide them with a unit, or is this all assumption?

Nova said:
Did OP even provide them with a unit, or is this all assumption?

You'd imagine they'd have taken their own photo if they'd actually got one, the pic on the site is just lifted from these parts isn't it? Does the magazine use the same picture?

Ah, lovely! I just had an e-mail from Linux Format's editor, and he's provided me with a PDF of the article as it appears in the magazine (as well as a mention of the TuxRadar link). :) It's much more interesting seeing it with the pictures, captions, and the like. I've just fired a note back to ask if it would be ok to post it here.

Dave1234 said:
The ultimate open source gaming device, but only seriously dedicated geeks need apply.

Now I want that on a tee-shirt.

7/10 of value? Compared with what else out there? Even buying later (that some) in dollars with a crap exchange rate it's still unbelievable value for a UMPC. I guess so unbelievable that Linux Forum didn't believe it.

Just read this in the mag and I wasn't really impressed.

I don't understand how they can say things like..

"The open nature of the machine means that a potentially limitless number of applications could be created for it."

"The Pandora's excellent D-pad makes retro gaming on the go a real pleasure."

"The D-pad and ingenious low-profile analogue nubs are great.."

"The main focus of the Pandora is gaming, though. It offers a smorgasbord of retro goodness.."

Then give it 7 out of 10 for Value for money. They didn't even mention the 10+ hour battery or the exceptional 99db signal to noise ratio sound quality :angry:

8 out of 10 is a good first score though, with that Pandora being an older version with the drilled buttons etc. and the software not being as complete as it is now :)

Good news! I have most graciously been granted permission to post the PDF version of the review here.

You can grab it from here.

Many thanks to Paul Hudson, the editor of Linux Format, for allowing this. :)

Thankyou. :) But, all credit to Mr. Hudson who allowed it to be posted in the first place.

Heh, well, thanks, then. :) It was fun, I hope it goes this well if there's any need to contact a magazine again.

As it may look weird that only 7/10 for price, it is not surprise for me. I wrote bachelor thesis about Pandora. It was mainly aimed on Pandora as productivity tool. I detailed describe HW and SW. Test capabilities of AbiWord, GNumeric etc. At last I made assumption that Pandora can be use as serious productivity tool. My opponent was satisfied and has only one question - what is price for Pandora, for Sony PSP and for Nintendo DS :)

So, reception of Pandora's price will be derived from angle of view every individual person. If (s)he takes Pandora only as toy, then (s)he can see it as expensive. I never buy xbox360 (for example) because it is very expensive for me, and then I must buy relatively expensive games (especially expensive in comparison with monthly income and cost in our country). On other side, Pandora cost me about one half than my first palm (Handspring Visor) and my second PDA Pocket Loox N560. Pandora is still cheaper than comparable PDA which still doesn't have gaming control nor standard USB A (host) connector. If someone take Pandora as productivity tool, than Pandora is quite cheep.

Back