Pandora Review in Linux Format.

Wild_Duck

Website
Visit site
In Linux Format magazine issue LXF157 there is a full page review of the Pandora.

It scored 9/10 for features, 9/10 for performance, 8/10 for ease of use and 7/10 for value.

"A very impressive handheld device, albeit a very niche and a tad expensive one"

static.gif

The last time they ran an article on the Pandora, I dropped a note to their editor to ask if we could share it here, and they most graciously provided me with a PDF of it. Perhaps it's worth someone doing that, here, too?

Last edited by a moderator:
The last time they ran an article on the Pandora, I dropped a note to their editor to ask if we could share it here, and they most graciously provided me with a PDF of it. Perhaps it's worth someone doing that, here, too?

Would be nice...

Linux format is my favorite magazine, I think. It's too bad it's so expensive...It's really like the Pandora, when you think about it.

i just skimmed through the march and april issues. am i missing something here?

^If I recall from my economics classes correctly, Value is a measure of utility over price.

If an openPandora with a keyboard scores 7/10, how does any locked-down, touch-centric smartphone score any better?

If an openPandora with a keyboard scores 7/10, how does any locked-down, touch-centric smartphone score any better?
To be fair, the Pandora may do more than most people need, too. You could get a DS Lite with a good handful of games for significantly less money.

I love my Pandora with all my heart.

To be fair, the Pandora may do more than most people need, too. You could get a DS Lite with a good handful of games for significantly less money.

I love my Pandora with all my heart.

With that logic, a multipack from a supermarket is worse value than a drink bought from a vending machine because I don't need 8 of them. or something?

Because the Pandora filled/fills a particular niche that doesn't exist but is capable of more. If you take the obvious target Retro gaming into account and nothing else its capable of doing. Its overly expensive for that one purpose compared to things like the caanoo dingoo etc. Even considering its performance and ideal controls.

Considering it also being capable of doing more then puts it in the area of non competition. So there is no price point of reference except net books which are similarly priced for performance and function if not being under priced in that regard.

It just all depends on how you look at it and what you use it for.

I got an expensive 4 wheel drive SUV that drives me to work and gets groceries. A way I justify that price is that I know I can haul equipment and go offroading if the situation arises.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

With that logic, a multipack from a supermarket is worse value than a drink bought from a vending machine because I don't need 8 of them. or something?
Yes, actually. There's been a few studies where people actually lose money when they buy in bulk because the per-ounce savings don't mean much when you throw half of it out.

As a player of video games, if all you want to do is play Chrono Trigger and a couple Mario games, a Pandora is overkill, and a DS would be probably just right.

But both markets exist, and the people who buy and use their Pandora do get their money's worth out of it.

Yes, actually. There's been a few studies where people actually lose money when they buy in bulk because the per-ounce savings don't mean much when you throw half of it out.

Does value depend on how much an individual wants the product?

Does value depend on how much an individual wants the product?
Possibly, though it may depend on the definition we use.

Again, it's less about everything a device can do, and more about everything that I want it to do that it can do (if that made any sense). If the supermarket offers me five gallons of milk for the price of three, sure, I'm making a killing on the per-ounce value of the milk. But at the end of the day, if I only drink one gallon of milk before the rest spoil, I really only got one gallon of milk for the price of three.

Back