Pandora Pandora-psp

JayFoxRox said:
One thing which won't be happening in the near future is Atrac3 though (If you can find some open-source code for an Atrac3 PSP Music player message me and I'll see what I can do).
Is there some reason ffmpeg won't work?

http://git.ffmpeg.org/?p=ffmpeg;a=blob;f=libavcodec/atrac3.c

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh I looked at ffmpeg again while writing my reply but I wasn't able to open puzzle bobbles bgm0?.at3 nor any other PSP at3 I have on this computer. I only got the sample *.rm files to work which are provided by the mplayer homepage.
Its probably (or should I say hopefully?) only a container format issue but this must still be fixed first.
If someone writes a small sample for me which plays some PSP at3 I would look into adding this to Pandora-PSP. If no-one does it I will probably check it out myself once the emu got more stable. There is no reason why I should add features like this into the emulator if it can't run any commercial games because most homebrew uses other formats anyway.

---

<Moved to Pandora-PSP Blog>

JayFoxRox said:
jonlad1 said:
Hey JFox, do you have a Paypal account that we could make donations to? I'm sure there are many of us that would like to make a donation to thank you for your fine, fine work.....

Do you expect the emu to work at a playable speed with sound?

Yes, I have paypal, contact me if you want to donate.
However, I don't see any point in accepting donations yet. Remember that donating (money) is not supporting the project directly and so far you got nothing from this except for some small bits of information etc.
I already start "scam" discussions coming up ;)
You can still donate though, but think about it twice before doing so.
I will probably set up a list of items which would possibly aid development (some games are on top of that list, a new mini-usb cable (I need at least 2 of those (PC / PSP, PC / BeagleBoard), but I only have one), an active USB
hub, usb to network adapter, new SD card dedicated to the BeagleBoard oh, and mabye a domain?).
Ofcourse it would be good if people could just sent me their old hardware which they don't need anymore which is on the list or if they would support by helping in general.

But don't even try to bribe me :p
I won't get XYZ running only because you gave me 5 euro.
For now free, open source homebrew has priority.

Sound had to be removed for now because the OpenAL library doesn't seem to work on my new computer for some strange reason. But audio worked a VERY TINY BIT before and will be re-added once OpenAL is working again.
One thing which won't be happening in the near future is Atrac3 though (If you can find some open-source code for an Atrac3 PSP Music player message me and I'll see what I can do).

Wow, I was only asking to donate because you are putting so much time in. How was I trying to bribe you?

I'll send you a mini USB cable then :)

He was just kidding, hence the smiley. :D

Also, his post wasn't directly responding to you, it was a post to anyone who's thinking about donating. He's just saying that he won't make the emulator compatible with a certain game/whatever just because you donated and then asked him to.

I recon there should a Hall of Fame for people who manage to develop great software or do something big for the Pandora rather in addition to giving them donations.

PM me an address anyways and I'll see what USPS says. Can't imagine paying import taxes if it's a gift and not an order from a company.

I'm more comfortable with item vs money donation. So I know you're not blowing it on cocaine/bagels/*insert habit here* lol

@Shaun like a Pandora achievement board? haha I'd say yes!

Shaun. said:
I recon there should a Hall of Fame for people who manage to develop great software or do something big for the Pandora rather in addition to giving them donations.
Isn't that what the GP32X Guru status is for?

Aninhumer said:
Shaun. said:
Isn't that what the GP32X Guru status is for?

Just replace the words "the Pandora" with "any homebrew system" and yes, it's exactly what that status is for.

-God Ginrai

Neko said:
JayFoxRox said:
Is there some reason ffmpeg won't work?

http://git.ffmpeg.org/?p=ffmpeg;a=blob;f=libavcodec/atrac3.c

Rockbox has an fixed point atrac3 codec (modified version from ffpmeg's libavcodec) and also has some nice arm optimizations (including assembly).
http://svn.rockbox.org/viewvc.cgi/trunk/apps/codecs/libatrac/

Some optimization patches:
http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/10565

The atrac3 decoding speed of svn implementation (r22519) is very slow. It needs about 165MHz on PP502x (138MHz are used for the iqmf filterbank) for realtime decoding.

This patch introduces some optimizations:
1) ARM asm for fixmul16, fixmul31 and fixmul32 -> realtime decoding @98MHz
2) minor loop unrolling in dewindowing -> realtime decoding @97MHz
3) ARM asm for whole matrixing -> realtime decoding @92MHz
The patched iqmf synthesis is more than twice as fast as the svn version.

I'm wondering wether this includes PSP AT3 support though because I think it is atrac3 plus. I don't really know the difference to atrac3 (Honestly, I know almost nothing about audio and audio codecs, all I did so far was using 4klang and using some codec librarys for my TeamSpeak client ;) )
I'll just create a "research" file and add all the atrac3 related stuff from this thread to it for now.

---

<Moved to Pandora-PSP Blog>

So hows the emulator coming along? I would really love to get Pandora and play some of my favorite psp games.

Follow JFR's blog link above, he has posted a couple of things there since he last posted in this thread.

Just don't expect game compatibility lists or anything like that at this early stage. ;)

Nerdy3.14159265 said:
So hows the emulator coming along? I would really love to get Pandora and play some of my favorite psp games.

That won't happen. The day you get the Pandora in your hands won't be the day when you can play your "favorite psp games".

First of all the it depends on when I get my Pandora and after that it will probably be a few days until I have a release version which I can upload because I'm sure I won't have the time to look for Pandora specific bugs all day long (Pandora controls, Wifi for debugging, Packing a PND, ..).
(This will probably change if the project goes open-source before the Pandora is shipped)

I'm still rewriting the emulator which is a long process, but it greatly simplifies the whole codebase.
This time threads get a higher priority and I split hardware (For example, I have multiple ways of accessing the emulated Pandora serial port and can have different renderers) and firmware.

The firmware is now doing the hardware access by calling my hardware functions.
Some functions are loaded from the original firmwares PRX files as all they do is parsing files or calculating data, those must be decrypted and you need a PSP to legally obtain them. However, there will be dummy functions which make the emulator work and skip non-critical parts and I will rewrite the most important functions so they are optimized and everybody can use the emulator.

My PSP was stolen the day after I got Dissidia, and have filed a police report for it, despite the fact that it won't do any good.

All that aside, what would your estimated projection be of emulation capacity? Do you believe it feasible to reach upwards of 85% in a final build, or would more likely end up as a proof of concept for loading PSP homebrew?

i have a psp, and never play games on it, but i love the games it has. its just...some negative thing about the psp that stops me from using it. I guess i want multitasking stuffies around, thats why i use my iphone so much. Im sure il play all those psp games again when i have a pandora.

But i think its a long road to go.

But i want to give JFR my compliments, for starting and till so far holding this project for some of his free time. Its the most hard project on the whole scene, in terms of effort and coding. (with one exeption: the pandora project itself)

I have a PSP-1000. And the shitty LCD stops me from playing.

can i ask a stupid question here rather in another post... playstation 2 emulation is a no go area? correct?... would the tech in the pandora be able to cope with it? my thoughts are no but someone please inform me just this once :D

Trevsweb said:
can i ask a stupid question here rather in another post... playstation 2 emulation is a no go area? correct?... would the tech in the pandora be able to cope with it? my thoughts are no but someone please inform me just this once :D
No Go 2: Hyper Not Working Edition, The Failure Edition.

Or something like that.

Back