Pandora Pandora-psp

Very nice work. keep it up, could be near finished by the time the panda's released for all we know :) I'll be so amazed if i can play games my friends are enjoying on their PSPs without buying yet another handheld :p

:pandora1: ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if this a stupid question, but will it run commerical games?

If so, you're my hero.

'Butterman' said:

If so, you're my hero.
if i look to the hardware specs of the pandora, i can say it will never run every game on full speed.
but it is already a miracle if i could play syphon filter on 10fps.
if this would run commercial games once, i'd say the speed would start with 2fps. maby less.

i'd really like a ds emulator :D and that would be possible :)

'Butterman' said:
'JayFoxRox' said:
Its still far away from beeing able to run commercial games or full applications! This is written from scratch so there is no compatibility chart yet.
:)

I think you're under estimating it, with the numbers you pulled out of your arse. The Pandora and PSP are both RISC and from what I understand this is less emulator and more wrapper.

Let's wait and see. There isn't even a decent psp-emulator for pc available, so I don't think anyone can tell where this project is leading too.

dflemstr: Personally, I think writing a DS emulator would be alot harder right now. The PSP is well documented software wise and its been around for some time already. You can easily compile your own applications to test the emulator. We also have really good debuggers like PSPLink.

CC_machine: Yes, my plan is to have a working version out at the pandoras release day (with support for the applications which are working already through the library)

borgqueenx: No, you can't say that. Anyone who says its impossible is talking bullshit. At the same time, those who say it will work without any problems are also talking bullshit. From what I have done with the beagleboard I think its safe to say that it has the potential power to emulate a PSP at full speeds with most commercial games out there - I m not saying that this emulator will do one day. The pandora has enough ram to recompile the whole game on startup and only doing dynarec once the code modifies itself (if thats even possible with the original SDK)

Butterman: This will be an emulator. However, its split into 2 parts for easier debugging and development. The library is only a wrapper as you already mentioned, I'm post-editing the generated elf through the makefile so DMA is possible (using some dirty IPC to emulate the cached PSP memory). The library comes with the PSPSDK headers like pspgu.h which are calling the functions which are defined through *.S (assembler) files in the PSPSDK. The library implements these functions in *.cpp files. This means that if you compile a PSP sample code with the library, it will use the PSP memory addresses whenever possible (sometimes regions are reserved for special stuff in linux) and the samples code doesn't have to be touched a single time because only the real system calls are implemented.
The second part of this project is the real emulator which comes with a mips emulator, memory manager, file loader (bin and pbp for now - iso support coming soon) and the files as the library.
I do this because the system calls are well known but the Allegrex cpu doesn't have too much information (I use a mips32R2 instruction set as reference right now). I can test the samples and implement all systemcalls with debugging symbols in a high level languages. The mips emulator is also working already but it doesn't have many instructions implemented (no float instructions yet, as I said before). I can already run the cube sample through the emulator, but its still getting stuck in the crt0 code - however, the system calls are mapped correctly and I know that the problem must be in the low-level mips emulation because the sample works fine if its running in recompiled mode using the library.

conso: There is noxas pspplayer which is working extremly well from what I have heard. I only had a short look at its sourcecode though because it doesn't even work on my computer.

'JayFoxRox' said:
From what I have done with the beagleboard I think its safe to say that it has the potential power to emulate a PSP at full speeds with most commercial games out there - I m not saying that this emulator will do one day. The pandora has enough ram to recompile the whole game on startup and only doing dynarec once the code modifies itself (if thats even possible with the original SDK)
Do you say possible fullspeed 3D GTA and Ratchet and Clanck on Pandora? You would really be my hero if that is possible (You are already my hero for starting on this)

Uhm... wow... I'm not used to technical talk, so I just wanted to congratulate you and thank you for your efforts.

Great work and keep it up!

if there is no psp emulator for a pc( usally 2.ghz and 4gb of ram and goes on) i dont think there will be a full speed psp emulator for the pandora.
I just dont believe it. But i would be very happy if someone could prove me wrong. if its going into the right direction(10fps in some psp games) i would even donate the programmer of the emulator to support him, and to make it better :)

A psp emulator for the pandora, and not available for the pc, that would be awesome...but again...if no one made it for the pc, i think its impossible.

Sorry if it sounds like bullshit in your ears...

Actually, I know a guy who developed a game a while back for the PSP. Sony used some kind of wrapper/emulator in their SDK to aid development.

I'll see if I can hit him up.

Butterman: You don't have to. It wouldn't help me at all and I m not interested in the offical SDK. The PSPSDK is great and there is a great community behind it.

What I m saying is that mentioning numbers is wrong.
There are some games where the PSP sits almost idle. Also the looks of the graphics don't have much to do with the usage of the PSPs hardware.
One of the huge goals for me is to get PSP Revolution working. Another thing I would like to see is suicide barbie by TBL. And if we are talking about commercial games: For now I m working on puzzle bobble because its very small, it has the debug symbols (I still have to write a loader for that) and its not too complex graphical and audio wise (Don't expect atrac3 anytime soon neither - The only hope I have so far is running an original prx, but they might be crypted). But once pb is done I will look into GTA because I have worked with that on the PSP already (Model loader, texture loader, trainer, ...) or possibly Flatout and Outrun because I debugged them before and know how they get some things on the screen. But seeing how these game come with an intro movie thats going to be a real challenge.
I just found the problem in the crt0 btw and the cube sample gets to the GE / GU calls already - I only have to map the NIDs to my library. If anyone wants to help with this feel free to contact me, its a simple job, even for non-programmers, its just booring copy / paste.

'borgqueenx' said:
if there is no psp emulator for a pc...
Yep, there is one, and it is written in Java!

CODE
http://www.jpcsp.org/

Currently, it runs only Puzzle Bobble Pocket , but it is a nice start.

Back