Pandora outdated?

the main thing im reading here, is that the pandora is outdated, but not comparable. and thats why me, and many others here will still pick a pandora over any 1.3ghz smartphone

If it were comparable, it would be outdated.

Exactly, a netbook would fit in there easily.

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for highlighting that there are no other practical options, guys. ;)
The most practical option IMO would be a notebook or desktop computer.
For those with capacious pockets! :p
Pockets? Ah, for when i would have to work on the go. If i wanted to work on the go, i guess i would go for a device which fits my pockets and has the best keyboard. Which would certainly not be the Pandora, rather one of the old Psion devices. Man those things had good keyboards. The Pandora's is not bad, but certainly there are better options for productivity.

But back on topic: Outdated would mean it cannot perform tasks expected from a state of the art device. Since this is not the case, i do not think the Pandora is outdated.

This whole discussion is a bit pointless, since it is more a question of the definition of outdatedness. Everyone has to decide for theirself which tasks they expect to be performed by a handheld computer. It really is quite pointless to argue about what the Pandora can or cannot do. It either suits your needs or it doesn't, and that should be the criterium if you want to buy it or not.

thanks for highlighting that there are no other practical options, guys. ;)
The most practical option IMO would be a notebook or desktop computer.
I know I said I had no more to say, but evidently I should have been more clear. ;) My meaning (and I had hoped it would be readily obvious) was: There are no other practical options for a pocket-sized writing device that are currently on the market and that can act as an entire standalone computer. (Even the Sharp Netwalker only has a three-hour battery-life. :( )

If there are any, please, show me! I would love to see what else in this vein is out there! (I don't mind a lack of gaming controls in these other options - I just want to see these current palmtop computers that are so frequently hinted to be out there, but which I have yet to find. :lol: I'm not being facetious here, I am genuinely serious - I would like to weigh up the Pandora against other competing, readily-available palmtops.)

This whole discussion is a bit pointless, since it is more a question of the definition of outdatedness. Everyone has to decide for theirself which tasks they expect to be performed by a handheld computer. It really is quite pointless to argue about what the Pandora can or cannot do. It either suits your needs or it doesn't, and that should be the criterium if you want to buy it or not.
Agreed. But this fact doesn't seem to stop those topics every once in a while where someone will pop up and claim that "to get the best experience", we should all be buying a new multi-core mobile telephone every three to six months (and yes, that really has happened here)... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I do a lot of lurking so the tension tends to build and build inside until finally I'm like "ARRGH I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!! MUST... POST..." so this is gonna be a little bit tongue-in-cheek but hopefully it'll get the point across.

What I see here is this:

For some people, the Pandora is not actually the device for them.

OH WOW... how strange is THAT??!?!!!!1!? ...I guess? :rolleyes:

No... wait! That's not strange at all!!! Everybody has different wants and needs in their gadegtry so OF COURSE the Pandora is not gonna be the ideal device for everyone.

Now what IS strange, and actually VERY strange to me, is that these people, the "for-whom-the-Pandora-does-not-fulfill-their-every-gadgetry-need" so to speak, are here... on the Pandora forums... telling us about how much they think the Pandora sucks... the very same Pandora that doesn't suit their needs.

Ya know, when I was shopping around for a car and I got a Honda instead of a Toyota I didn't then proceed on over to the nearest Toyota dealership or fan forums to tell them all how much I think Toyotas suck compared to Hondas... no, instead I'm content knowing that the Honda was the right car for me because I took my time comparing features and whatnot to see which car fits my needs best. Note the emphasis on what I think and what are my needs... because these are all things of opinion, taste, and personal needs.

To make a somewhat more relevant analogy, when I was shopping around for a pocket computer in the mid 2000's and I was deciding between things like the Samsung Q1, the Nokia N810, or the Raon Digital Everun Note I wound up choosing the N810 since it suited my needs and budget best for the time. You can probably guess where I'm gonna go next, eh? Yeeeep, that's right I DIDN'T get on the Samsung or Raon Digital forums and tell them all about how much fail their product was full of! A-maz-ing!!! Is it weird that I don't do that? Am I missing out on something here?

My hobbies include things like hardware hacking, DIY, making things with my hands (robots), making things with my words (programming), designing and building electronic circuits for all sorts of mayhem, cars, airplanes, etc... basically things that are electrical, mechanical, or kinda sci-fi artsy in nature are my key interests. You know what's NOT my hobby? Collecting butterflies is NOT my hobby. In fact I can see some things that I could seriously object to about collecting butterflies like the killing of a beautiful creature and whatnot... but you know what I DON'T do? I DON'T go onto butterfly collecting forums and bitch at them about how much their hobby sucks and how they're all a bunch of murderers... no, because normal people don't DO that.

So hey guys, you know who you are, would you mind leaving me and my linux-geek/retro-gaming/hardware-hacker friends alone now? Thanks! :D :D

Oh, and for the record... as someone who has been on board for this project since before you could even preorder, and as someone who has always aspired to take on such types of insane projects myself both in the past and in my future (so in other words, the type of hobbyist hardware/software tinkerer that the Pandora is suited for)... I just gotta say that it REALLY fuckin hurts when you guys come on here and rub the salt in my wounds before you shower me in your urine... do you KNOW how fuckin long I've been waiting for my DREAM device? Do you even UNDERSTAND the kinda unheard of feat we're pulling off here? Do you even KNOW what it feels like to be eternally separated from your one and only??!?!? Are you REALLY the kinda person to kick a man when he's already down, helpless and broken in the gutter?

I'm happy to support a social system which takes care of the poor people and of people that are ill or are suffering from diseases, even if that raises the price.
You mean, producing in germany, which is one of the 10 % richest countries, which own 85 % of global wealth, is a fair trade?

Why not select a company in india or china which treats employees well? I think this is a way to "take care of the poor people"!

What is "poor" in germany compared to "poor" in china then?

regards from india

it good for the german/european econemy which is a good thing.

More and more production is going overseas which is never good for local econemy.

no offence to india or china but i think producing locally is always win win (except for the priceS, but the quality is worth it).

Why not select a company in india or china which treats employees well? I think this is a way to "take care of the poor people"!

I would love to.

But how can I tell whether the company treats their employees well?

I can't be there and check this all the time.

Also, as the Pandora PCB is not easy to produce, I regularly visit the production company.

I've been there five times already.

I can't possibly come over and help out if there's a production issue, if the company is thousands of kilometres away...

Besides, within the last half a year while moving the production to Germany, every Chinese company involved (cases, LCD Cables, TV Out Cables) had huge delays whereas the companies in Germany and Turkey didn't miss a single deadline.

I've really lost my confidence in them as well.

What is "poor" in germany compared to "poor" in china then?

regards from india

Germany has a social system that TRIES to be as fair as possible (it's not always working well, but that's impossible).

There are few rich people in Germany, some poor ones but most of them are inbetween.

The poor ones usually are being taken care of. They get money from the government to ensure a certain quality of life (like paying the rent for a room, food, etc.).

Is that the case in China?

AFAIK there are mostly rich and very poor people, who can hardly afford to live.

@Mitosis : I agree so much!

I've also experienced this kind of things on other forums. That's mostly because the creators of the pandora are on this forum. The proximity is a great things for most of the users, But it's also a curse because some people thinks they constantly need to tell the OP team how they should have done things.

For the comparison with the cars, you don't tell the seller nor the users of the cars what you like / dislike from the car. But perhaps if you had met the ingeneer you would have talked with him about your experience with the car.

Here it's the same, but like everywhere, some persons tell the things in a constructive manner and some other, absolutely not.

If The op team didn't read this forum, nobody would tell bad things about the pandora, but I think it would be a great loss. Personnally I like very much that we share this project with the creators of this device :)

Why should it be though? This is an editorial, and from a pretty biased source. Hardly an impartial analysis. At the very least I'd prefer if the post was referred to as a discussion about whether or not Pandora is outdated, instead of a description that's basically given just for ED's opinion (and those who agree with him).

More than that, I don't think focusing on apology (look up "apologetic" if that's not clear to you) is really the best way to promote a positive image for the device. The only people this really benefits are those who already agreed with it but wanted to feel better about it. Everyone who doesn't agree will continue to not agree and see OPT and the community as more interested in making excuses than addressing their concerns.

I thought today's dilbert fit some of the conversation going on here eerily well:

152554.strip.gif

Back