Pandora Insurance Plan

teknotoast

Still Fresh
I am aware of the 1 year warranty for manufacturer defects. However, sometimes in life, things happen that aren't manufacturer related, which cause you to not have function of your pandora, for example: theft, fire/water damage, small children/pets, electrostatic discharge, nuclear war, etc. These things (generally) are impossible to repair. Would it be possible for OpenPandora GmbH to start a protection plan that covers those sorts of incidents?

A couple ideas I had was that it would be a minimal monthly cost due up front for the month of coverage (say, 5 - 15/month), with the option to pay the entire amount yearly. You're covered for the time you pay, but if money is tight and you don't think you can pay, the company just won't cover you, and when you can resume coverage, you are able to without hassle. Whether or not a deductible applies depends on the amount of money you've paid into the plan (if you've paid more into the plan than the current OpenPandora GmbH value of your unit, then yours could be replaced at no cost.

I'm not sure what the laws are in Germany regarding this sort of thing... Is it technically insurance? If it is then it's probably governed by a whole other set of laws and regulations.

Anyhow, just throwin that out there, feel free to throw it back at me. :D

Perhaps I'm being a bit dim, here, but is there not perhaps some plan that already-established insurance firms might offer that would cover this?

..., nuclear war, etc. ...

Do you have special plans? :D

Don't use your nuclear weapons together with your Pandora.

An insurance sounds nice.

10€ for one year...If thre's no official insurance perhaps I could seriously think about it. Easy money for me and easy Pandora use for you.

Some special insurance for non-warranty issues.

I don't think a lot of people will damage their Pandora.

I don't see this working.

Instead - keep on putting money aside on a regular basis, if you can... Then just buy a new Pandora if you need to. If you're thinking of getting a new Pandora for less than the cost of a new unit via paying insurance to OPT... It could potentially be really bad for OPT.

Getting an external insurance company to buy you a new Pandora is fine though. ;)

Instead - keep on putting money aside on a regular basis, if you can... Then just buy a new Pandora if you need to. If you're thinking of getting a new Pandora for less than the cost of a new unit via paying insurance to OPT... It could potentially be really bad for OPT.
The practicality of insurance is that, for every 100 people that pay $5 for insurance, only one of them actually needs to use it. So for this to work, OPT would need to do a lot of risk analysis, and come up with a volume and price that would work. I'm guessing no matter what risk they arrive at, the volume just wouldn't be there, though: not many people would be interested, I bet.

Your best insurance is EvilDragon:

You have his E-Mail so spam him until he repairs your Pandora. You can also tell him such a sad storry why your Pandora is down and why you can't get a new one. :D

(Now he'll kill me ;) )

I'm in the 'can't see it' group as well.

Warranties and extended warranties can be provided by manufacturers with relatively low risk because they understand their devices components and the quality in their manufacturing processes etc.

Insuring against theft / fire / end user stupidity would involve much higher risk. I know that my phone provider offers this kind of thing for $9 a month, but they have many thousands of customers on these plans plus the general service income and profits on the handsets. It's a risk that they can safely manage with a customer base that size combined with a huge income (and even then they charge $9 a month).

Like others have mentioned, I think that you would be better off listing it specifically on a policy through an insurance provider or putting your own money aside as insurance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back