Release Pandora Image Viewer

Oh cool,plz dont forget to add a "delete File" Key for Viewing and sorting Images ;)

Great,cannot await your PND :D

I didn't know about Viewnior, but I just tried it. It took about 20 seconds for my little benchmark, which makes it the best viewer currently available on the repo afaik. But my viewer is still 4 times faster ;)

My viewer supports everything SDL_Image supports: BMP, GIF, JPEG, LBM, PCX, PNG, PNM, TGA, TIFF, WEBP, XCF, XPM, XV.

It is however particularly optimized for JPEG. It'll probably still be faster than the other viewers for those other file formats, but not by such a big factor.
How about you try it on the other formats?

I didn't know about Viewnior, but I just tried it. It took about 20 seconds for my little benchmark, which makes it the best viewer currently available on the repo afaik. But my viewer is still 4 times faster ;)

My viewer supports everything SDL_Image supports: BMP, GIF, JPEG, LBM, PCX, PNG, PNM, TGA, TIFF, WEBP, XCF, XPM, XV.

It is however particularly optimized for JPEG. It'll probably still be faster than the other viewers for those other file formats, but not by such a big factor.
How about you try it on the other formats?
Any of those in particular? I'd rather spend time implementing stuff than running various benchmarks, but if there's a particular file format you want to see results for, I could try it for you. Or you could just wait for the repo release and test it yourself :)

• Only supports full-screen, not windowed. In my opinion, that's the only thing you need anyway, especially on a small screen like that of the Pandora.
No hope to persuade you otherwise ? While your right, the Pandora is a multitasking capable system, which is handy sometimes.
Please add file associations.

So that when I double click in the file manager your PND will be able to start up directly.

It's pretty important I think.
This could be tricky, as this would need an extra script that registers the association in the system.In theory this should be handled by the whole pnd/pxml system, but got never implemented (afaik)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Only supports full-screen, not windowed. In my opinion, that's the only thing you need anyway, especially on a small screen like that of the Pandora.
No hope to persuade you otherwise ? While your right, the Pandora is a multitasking capable system, which is handy sometimes. 
Windowed mode cannot be combined with using the hardware scaler to do the hard work, and it would also mean the colors were limited to those of X (only 16-bit on default firmware). Also notaz' SDL does not support windowed mode.

It should still be possible to "multitask" by minimizing the viewer (with the Pandora button) and alt-tabbing to other programs - however the nubs are stuck in joystick mode while the viewer is running, I don't see an easy way around that.

Please add file associations.

So that when I double click in the file manager your PND will be able to start up directly.

It's pretty important I think.
This could be tricky, as this would need an extra script that registers the association in the system.
In theory this should be handled by the whole pnd/pxml system, but got never implemented (afaik)
No, it's implemented from the beginning.

With one of the SuperZaxxon updates it's now finally supported by the firmware.

There's a thread here how to do it.

It's has to be added in the pxml, no scripts.

For what it is worth, there does seem to be zlib versions knocking around with NEON support. I am not sure how much time is spent inside zlib whilst decompressing PNG files, but it feels like it should be a reasonable amount. I haven't performed any testing yet.

I wonder whether anyone on the boards could optimize the libpng implementation further? It possibly could be part of the optimizing coding challenge that Exophase suggested. No idea if there is any realistic opportunities for further optimizations.

Ah interesting with that File Associations.

Have you a Link?

I did not found it yesterday evening.

Maybe i get this with PanPlayer2 work,that would be a cool Feature ;)

And ontopic:

I am very curious to that Picture Viewer,maybe you can build in a Thumbnail Option?

Ah interesting with that File Associations.

Have you a Link?

I did not found it yesterday evening.

Maybe i get this with PanPlayer2 work,that would be a cool Feature ;)

And ontopic:

I am very curious to that Picture Viewer,maybe you can build in a Thumbnail Option?
Just check the pxml docs for the file associations. 

I don't have a lot of time, so I will be short.

Thumbnails: not anytime soon.

Rotation: not anytime soon.

Deletion: OK

Share (eg email): maybe

File associations: probably, where's the relevant thread again?

PNG files: already faster than other viewers, will optimize further. Currently zlib is the bottleneck, will try to find a faster one.

where's the relevant thread again?
PXML docs on the wiki should now reflect how to do it. It's very simple, just declare the file types in PXML.

Deletion: OK
Please add a trashcan function or a double confirmation before deletion to avoid unfortunate "forever deleted" issue :)

Thumbnails: not anytime soon.
If you don't want to deal with the thumbnail creation yourself you could use an external script to generate thumbnails. Many of them on github.

I can live with it being fullscreen - suits the task well. Thumbnail browser would be excellent though.

D.

I'll probably deal with the thumbnail creation, rotation, RAW conversion etc. by including a copy of ImageMagick or something like that. It will probably happen at some point - I want those features myself too, so I'll find the motivation. Just not in the first release of this thing, and probably not in the second one either. I don't want to be too ambitious for the first release, or else the first release will not happen before 2015 ;)

The delete button will just mark the images for deletion, then when you exit the program some zenity script will ask you if you really want to delete those images. At least that's how I plan to do it now. Same with the "share" feature: it'll just mark images as "do something with this", and then it passes the filenames to a script that does whatever you want with those filenames.

this might turn out to be the perfect companion for grabicasa. ive been disappointed by all of the available image viewers (for the reasons given by _wb_).

raw image (especially the nikon brand) support would be nice, as i only take raw images and it would spare me from converting them before.

but then again: the pandora's screen is not a whole lot bigger than the screen of my cam and i'll edit and manage the pictures on a real computer anyways, so...

very looking forward to your release :)

I've recently found that OMAP can do rotation for you for free, if anyone has some ideas how to expose this sanely through SDL API it could be added.

Or you could drop SDL and use the scaler layer directly.

One thing I value in an image viewer is the ability to show a rotated view of the image without changing the image file, so I'd really like it if that could be worked in somehow. :)

- Neelix

I've recently found that OMAP can do rotation for you for free, if anyone has some ideas how to expose this sanely through SDL API it could be added.

Or you could drop SDL and use the scaler layer directly.
Cool!

I assume you need two bits to encode the amount of rotation (0, 90, 180, 270 degrees). Maybe you could use the flags to SDL_SetVideoMode? Abuse some existing but currently ignored flags like SDL_RESIZABLE and SDL_NOFRAME to encode the rotation? It's not a very sane way to do it, but if it's well documented, it is sane enough for me :)

Quick question...   Will the aspect ratio be preserved if one of the dimensions is smaller than the screen at the current zoom level?

- Neelix

Back