Pandora for children

Faible is a german word for addiction predilection or partiality. hmc is from germany afaik, so maybe he mixed it up a bit.

Actually Faible is a french word. I do not think it was german in the first place, it was probably imported from french like so many others recently.

So, Sony, you have learnt french and german at once :)

In the mean time, I'm almost ready with the packaging of GCompris. It will be a quite big download (around 150MB or so), mostly due to all the localized voices. I could try to package each localization separately if size is an issue for anyone, but that's a bit tricky to do in the PND system so unless requested otherwise, I'll just make the big PND. Another option would be to make a slimmed down PND that includes only the "biggest" languages (English, French, German?).

I'm currently tracking down every last dependency (there are quite a lot of those, some "hidden" because they are optional - everything will compile just fine without it - and the activity itself will try to load it, e.g. gnuchess for chess and gnucap for electrical simulation). There will still be some minor but possibly irritating issues left when I'll upload the PND, I currently do not know how to fix them. No real big problems though.

The quality of the GCompris educational suite is quite remarkable by the way. With this addition, the Pandora is going to be suitable for every age group from 2 years up :)

This is great! Thanks for taking the plunge, wb!

I'd vote for making several stripped-down packages, as 150MB is quite a lot.

How much space does one voice take up? Do they all take the same amount or magnitude of space?

Idea: one package with the 3 or 4 most important voices (maybe make a poll here on the boards, to find out what's most demanded), and one package with all the remaining voices (both packages including the main program, too)

This scheme would probably mean the least efforts on your side, and least probability for problems on users' side, while still providing relatively small package size.

Daniel

A couple of options come to mind here..

You could make a number of installer PNDs (for a language or group of languages) that just dump the selected voice files in appdata...

If you want to keep the voice files compressed you could bundle them as squashfs filesystems and setup the runscript to mount one containing the desired language.

- Neelix

I suggest moving the discussion about GCompris to this thread:

so discussion here can continue on other aspects of how children can use the Pandora.

Back