Waiting For Pandora

Ian J

Advanced Member
While I'm waiting for my Pandora I thought I'd get a load of games ready to play.

I've already ripped some Playstation games (been playing on my phone using the iCP) hopefully those will work without changing the format of the images.

What version of the MAME roms would people recommend?

Which of the PND resources would I best using from the Pandora to download straight onto it?

Many thanks for everyone's help with this.

Ian

I've already ripped some Playstation games (been playing on my phone using the iCP) hopefully those will work without changing the format of the images.
What format are they?

What version of the MAME roms would people recommend?
My understanding is that, to get the best of what's currently available, you'd need ones for MAME4All (which uses a modified version of the set from MAME 0.37b5), and MAME 0.106. You can guess which Pandora MAME versions those go with, no doubt. :p

Which of the PND resources would I best using from the Pandora to download straight onto it?
Well, any of them, really, but you'll find in the menu - at least if you're using Hotfix 6 - an entry titled "PNDStore". This pulls directly from the repo (as linked to at the top of the forum - you might want to go and have a look around there, if you want to make a mental list of what you'll be installing first). This is probably the quickest route.

I hope this helps some. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
as mentioned above mame uses rom set 0.37b5, there are plenty of converters if your roms are currently the wrong set. also ive found the panda plays almost every format of psx game file there is, except compreced ecm.bin files.

Also i personally find downloading pnds directly to the pandora is quite a long process when compared to going directly to the repo using one of the pandoras many web browsers. i find its a lot quicker to use the repo for downloading pnds and using the pnd store to check which of your pnds are due an update.

Have fun with your panda when it turns up can assure you will not be dissapointed in the slightest.

The PSX games are .PBP created using PsGUI, all I've tried ran fine on my phone, but if required I can rip from the discs to another format.

The MAME I have on my phone uses 0.37b5 so I have the full set for that, but I also have the full set for 144u5 on my PC so can create a matching set from a combination of the 2 if required using clrmamepro.

I really fancy ScummVM to play my back catalogue of LucasArts titles.

Are there any games people would recommend I try from the PND repo? I'm going to jump straight onto Super Geometry Dust for a start.

Sorry if I'm all over the place but I'm really excited about finally getting a Pandora.

Ian

I would very highly recommend VVVVVV. You'll need to buy the game to get the data-files, though, but it's only about £3.50.

I don't know if PBP format works with PCSX-ReARMed. I just use bin/cue, myself, created using ImgBurn (a Windows program that works under WINE). With any luck, you won't have to re-rip, though. :)

It's no big issue if PBP files don't work but it would be nice as the software automatically detects the disc and names the output file accordingly.

Is there any free software on Windoze that can output Bin & CUE files?

Fingers crossed, now I just need to dig out a bundle of games and start ripping them.

all my PBPs work great so you should be good

i love playing IOquake 2,3 again you need the origional data_file, also the doom ports and eduke3d are always good. if you like rpg games i would try albion,dinks smallwood or battle for wensworth, megamario and supertux are good mario clones, panjoust is a really nice and polished side coller also. arora drift is a nice 3d shooter and is also the pandoras first commercial game. if you like board games Qcheckers and E boards and x boards are good chess and checkers games. pokerTH is an awsome online poker game (i love oker and use it alot) gltron is a nice 3D trone game pandora panic is a collection of really nice mini games, frozen bubbles also good a very nice bust a groove clone, nuclear attack and vekar are also very good games.

To be honest last time i looked in the repo there were hundreds of apps and game props to mcobit i believe 89 of them he had released, machine. it could be worth giving you tube a little ganders and having alooks through some game vids and writing down the ones which tickle your fancy aswell as askin the question on here. might help you get a better idea. :)

Forget Me Not is better on the Pandora than the release for iOS. Graphics and sound are sharper, cleaner, and crisper. Once we get the new build I'm sure everyone will be stoked with Arena mode.

Another game I am a fan of is Wars: Commando also should mention Greyout from the previous Pandora competition.

PBP files work fine. :)

Thanks Kevin.

all my PBPs work great so you should be good

i love playing IOquake 2,3 again you need the origional data_file, also the doom ports and eduke3d are always good. if you like rpg games i would try albion,dinks smallwood or battle for wensworth, megamario and supertux are good mario clones, panjoust is a really nice and polished side coller also. arora drift is a nice 3d shooter and is also the pandoras first commercial game. if you like board games Qcheckers and E boards and x boards are good chess and checkers games. pokerTH is an awsome online poker game (i love oker and use it alot) gltron is a nice 3D trone game pandora panic is a collection of really nice mini games, frozen bubbles also good a very nice bust a groove clone, nuclear attack and vekar are also very good games.

To be honest last time i looked in the repo there were hundreds of apps and game props to mcobit i believe 89 of them he had released, machine. it could be worth giving you tube a little ganders and having alooks through some game vids and writing down the ones which tickle your fancy aswell as askin the question on here. might help you get a better idea. :)

Wow loads to go at there.

Can I assume all of these are on the Repo?

Forget Me Not is better on the Pandora than the release for iOS. Graphics and sound are sharper, cleaner, and crisper. Once we get the new build I'm sure everyone will be stoked with Arena mode.

Another game I am a fan of is Wars: Commando also should mention Greyout from the previous Pandora competition.

I remember posting on the thread for this game a while back.

Man I'm going to be busy :)

i believe so. Streaks 4th floor developers on facebook is always worth a follow, hes released some nice apps and games, unfortuinately there not in the repo, there exclusively on his fb wall, but he has worked like a michine also and his fb wall is riddled with pnds, i would deffo take a look and follow him if you use facebook. also blackcurtainstudios on facebook work apear to be developing pandora comercial games and currently have some demos available, there also worth following.

Unfortunately I don't do Facebook.

I have been watching 4th Floors Jaguar videos with interest recently though.

The Pandora I purchase from Aris today.

It has Hotfix 7 alpha 3 on it.

I've tried a few emulators and they all run fine but I have tried Super Geometry Dust and get the following error.

I've tried downloading the PND a couple of times and installed it via wifi on the Pandora and by putting the SD card into my PC and transferring it over but get the same error:

=======================================================================================

PND : /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/supergeometrydust.pnd

PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs

APPDATADIR : /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/SuperGeometryDust-23703

APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED : 600

EXENAME : run_game.sh

ARGUMENTS : <unset>

=======================================================================================

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/pnd/SuperGeometryDust-23703': File exists

mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/utmp/SuperGeometryDust-23703': File exists

Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/SuperGeometryDust-23703"

mount: mount point /mnt/utmp/SuperGeometryDust-23703 is a symbolic link to nowhere

WARNING : mount faild, re-tring

mount: mount point /mnt/utmp/SuperGeometryDust-23703 is a symbolic link to nowhere

ERROR The PND File-system is not mounted !

+++++++

Loopback devices :

/dev/loop0: [b301]:25 (/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/supergeometrydust.pnd)

Are mounted on :

For these Union :

ERROR: The Union File-system is not mounted !

+++++++

Loopback devices :

/dev/loop0: [b301]:25 (/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/supergeometrydust.pnd)

Are mounted on :

For these Union :

[ FAILED]--- Mount the PND ----------

Return code is : 6

Back