Pandora Pandora Emulator Frontend

I found that JSON is sometimes easier to integrate and can be edited by hand if needed.

But SQLite is great if JSON (or, $DEITY forbid, XML) is too slow. Almost as easy to integrate and is much faster.

Small update and a few questions

1. fixed most of the scaling issues on game_library screen
2. Removed 90% of the hard coded file dependences in ZiB
3. ZiB can now successfully and easly support up to 10 emulators.
4.Inclusion of emulators is facilitated by adding 3 files to the directory emu_config
5.Tweaked list code for smoother scrolling. (Made it through 6000 roms in 5 secs).
6.Rom_manager Scans and creates Rom DB and Flyer DB.
7.Game Settings supports up to 7 options. Which are accessed via emulator_config.
8. Setup the Pandora Toolchain on my computer so that I will be ready to compile it for the Pandora when it's ready.

Questions:
1. Should Emulator_settings be able to edit the files in emu_config or should it just be able to download new settings and configs.
2. What should be put in ZiB Settings?
3. What categories should be a given?
4. When you do a search would you rather the games stay under their respective catagory or should they be mixed?
5.If possible would anyone like a small program that helps with the creation of the gamelist files? Not saying I will make one just wondering if its needed.

Remember that the main goal of ZiB is to make a clean worry free Emulator launcher. The more Options in each menu will create more work for the end user. (hopefully everyone) Keep that in mind when answering.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be attempting a new way of developing ZiB. I have only given myself the moments between moments to work on it and I have gotten to a point where I need more defined goals. So from this point forward I will be doing a "feature a day" type development. This will allow me to stop worring about things that I can't control at the moment and re-focus on getting it ready for release. As ZiB stands it could be used on any modern/not so modern Linux machines. So A feature and a screenshot a day for the next couple of weeks.

TipTup300 if your still around I'd like input on overall look. PandoraRox I'd like any suggestions you might have toward the end result. HellDark just keep on bashing it in the end any and all crits will make a better program for all of us.

Stay Tuned.

At a later date, you might be able to include a gamelist editor into ZiB itself. You could run it using an option in the ZiB settings, and it could use a lot of the same code for looking through files and sorting and whatnot. It would just change so that when you choose a ROM, it brings up another screen where you can edit the data about the ROM that is contained in the gamelist. It would be a nice addition, as you wouldn't even have to leave the program to add the data in for a new ROM. Maybe it could even be an option in the regular game list once you click on a ROM (a button in the right sidebar?).

'Vorporeal' said:
At a later date, you might be able to include a gamelist editor into ZiB itself. You could run it using an option in the ZiB settings, and it could use a lot of the same code for looking through files and sorting and whatnot. It would just change so that when you choose a ROM, it brings up another screen where you can edit the data about the ROM that is contained in the gamelist. It would be a nice addition, as you wouldn't even have to leave the program to add the data in for a new ROM. Maybe it could even be an option in the regular game list once you click on a ROM (a button in the right sidebar?).
Not Bad. I'll add it to the list.

ZIB-GL-march.png

Pic shows off two improvements one the interface is almost down (scaling and what not) and the inclusion of catver.ini for MAME games. You will also notice that there are more than 0 games I am trying to find out how I broke that part of the program. :p

Does anyone know of a good DB or catver like file for other emulators?

'Aimless_E' said:
ZIB-GL-march.png

Pic shows off two improvements one the interface is almost down (scaling and what not) and the inclusion of catver.ini for MAME games. You will also notice that there are more than 0 games I am trying to find out how I broke that part of the program. :p

Great progress, and I have some suggestions. Working off of this photo-

deletehc9hy7.png

Maybe you should consider making the black behind the lettering and the grey lettering thinner. Also, if there is black behind MAME, maybe it should also be behind SNES. That could help it come more in line with early interface concepts. Good work and I look forward to seeing your process.

'Aimless_E' said:
ZIB-GL-march.png

I'm a little confused. Is the UI drawn more like a form type editor that you design not during runtime. Or is more of a

draw()
{
sidebar.Draw();
foreach(menu m in blahs)
m.draw();

}

Type deal. I'm just totally lost on how you're doing it. Maybe if you explained the process, I might be able to understand how to go about it.

I'm just a C# programmer, but I've programmed many a' menu for games. Just wondering how you're doing it.

EDIT: Why are the forums still screwed up. >_>

'Tiptup300' said:
''Aimless_E'' said:
ZIB-GL-march.png

I''m a little confused. Is the UI drawn more like a form type editor that you design not during runtime. Or is more of a

draw()
{
sidebar.Draw();
foreach(menu m in blahs)
m.draw();

}

Type deal. I''m just totally lost on how you''re doing it. Maybe if you explained the process, I might be able to understand how to go about it.

I''m just a C# programmer, but I''ve programmed many a'' menu for games. Just wondering how you''re doing it.

No need to be confused. The Interface is written in a scripting language called edje which in turn is based on a canvas library called evas. The back-end is completely written in C with calls to and from the Interface. Though Neither can exist without the other the design (if done correctly) will allow themers to not only change the look of the icons but the placement of said icons and the animations of those Icons without touching the backend. It also allows for themes to be stored in a single compressed file instead of a mess of Images and scripts.

What game menus have you made Tiptup300? Had I known that you had any experience in programing the very thing we are working on I would've deferred the project to you a long time ago.

@PandoraRox

I don't believe I said all the fonts were correct :p anyway I have all about 5 minutes a day now a-days to work on the program and the look is low on the list right now.

'Aimless_E' said:
'Tiptup300' said:
''''Aimless_E'''' said:
ZIB-GL-march.png

I''''m a little confused. Is the UI drawn more like a form type editor that you design not during runtime. Or is more of a

draw()
{
sidebar.Draw();
foreach(menu m in blahs)
m.draw();

}

Type deal. I''''m just totally lost on how you''''re doing it. Maybe if you explained the process, I might be able to understand how to go about it.

I''''m just a C# programmer, but I''''ve programmed many a'''' menu for games. Just wondering how you''''re doing it.

No need to be confused. The Interface is written in a scripting language called edje which in turn is based on a canvas library called evas. The back-end is completely written in C with calls to and from the Interface. Though Neither can exist without the other the design (if done correctly) will allow themers to not only change the look of the icons but the placement of said icons and the animations of those Icons without touching the backend. It also allows for themes to be stored in a single compressed file instead of a mess of Images and scripts.

What game menus have you made Tiptup300? Had I known that you had any experience in programing the very thing we are working on I would've deferred the project to you a long time ago.

@PandoraRox

I don't believe I said all the fonts were correct :p anyway I have all about 5 minutes a day now a-days to work on the program and the look is low on the list right now.

I haven't made any like commerical games or anything like that, but I defintely have experience. I only really know C# well. I can read C++, but I can't really write it.

Here's some mockups/screenshots I've made in the past:

CODE

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/1184/deletewl7.png
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/7192/11575107ut6.png
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/9052/tiptup3008gg1.png
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/5124/deletehc9dz3.png
http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/1154/deleteko1.png
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/6003/zunehomexr3.png
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/9504/menure0.png

eh, maybe too many since the forum ruins each link.

Yeah, I can program in a lot of languages, but none really specifically useful here.

'Aimless_E' said:
'Tiptup300' said:
''''Aimless_E'''' said:
ZIB-GL-march.png

I''''m a little confused. Is the UI drawn more like a form type editor that you design not during runtime. Or is more of a

draw()
{
sidebar.Draw();
foreach(menu m in blahs)
m.draw();

}

Type deal. I''''m just totally lost on how you''''re doing it. Maybe if you explained the process, I might be able to understand how to go about it.

I''''m just a C# programmer, but I''''ve programmed many a'''' menu for games. Just wondering how you''''re doing it.

@PandoraRox

okay, cool. thanks

Did we ever discus the font that we are using for the menus and lists? Currently Im using vera which looks close to the renderings but not quite right.

As far as I understand the Pandora can out put to two displays simultaneously the LCD and a TV out. These displays can what ever we through at them. So as far as TV out capabilities would you rather:

1. Display only on the TV
2. Display both on the TV and on the Pandora
3. Display ZiB on the pandora and launch the game on the TV screen.

Aimless_E said:
As far as I understand the Pandora can out put to two displays simultaneously the LCD and a TV out. These displays can what ever we through at them. So as far as TV out capabilities would you rather:

4. Have an option in the settings dialog to change the setting.
5. Let the configuration utility in Angstrom handle it and just create 2 windows that can be dragged around and made fullscreen.

'dflemstr' said:
'Aimless_E' said:

4. Have an option in the settings dialog to change the setting.
5. Let the configuration utility in Angstrom handle it and just create 2 windows that can be dragged around and made fullscreen.

I agree with 4. But having drag-able resize-able windows that are controlled by the window manager isn't particularly user friendly. But sure if you want to dick around with a bunch of windows why not. :)

Aimless_E said:
I agree with 4. But having drag-able resize-able windows that are controlled by the window manager isn't particularly user friendly. But sure if you want to dick around with a bunch of windows why not. :)
I guess that you don't use Qt for the frontend; otherwise 5. would be a piece of cake. Oh, well.

'dflemstr' said:
'Aimless_E' said:
I guess that you don't use Qt for the frontend; otherwise 5. would be a piece of cake. Oh, well.

I said nothing about the ability to have multiple windows, I said I didn't believe it was the best choice for the interface. This is an interface for emulators that play games. As a user, the less I have to think about when using a program the better.

I do appreciate your input on the subject. At least someone is still paying attention ;)

Oh and no I don't use QT for the interface. But that's beside the point.

Plenty of us paying attention. Dflemstr is just the one who tells everyone how they should change things. :D

Re: Display, an option in the settings for sure. Default output to the LCD, and a TV Out setting showing Zib on the LCD and the game on the TV. That would be awesome actually.

Back