Pandora Pandora Emulator Frontend

Ah, didn't realize it was for autodetection. I guess you could just use libpnd to look for emulators with "known" signatures? There's a lot of information in the PXML files that you could probably pull out with libpnd, you might want to take a look at the current PXML spec or ask someone who knows how it works (like dflemstr, who created the most recent version).

Last edited by a moderator:
How does everyone feel about favorites. How should we address them in ZiB. Mock-ups if you've got them. I know we had discussed making quick launch Icons in the past but I was wondering how they should be handled within ZiB its self.

Maybe they could be the first category (a special category) when you go to the game list? That category wouldn't appear in searches or anything (so you don't get duplicates), but it would be the first thing to appear when you open the game list, and would provide easy access to the games you want most often.

My view would to be have a "Mark as Favorite" after selecting an item. Then possibly having a star to show that it's favorited. Once favorited, there could be a choice in the main main zib menu for only fav'd games.

So like

- All Games
- Favorites
- Settings
- Quit

Something like that.

Tiptup300 said:
My view would to be have a "Mark as Favorite" after selecting an item. Then possibly having a star to show that it's favorited. Once favorited, there could be a choice in the main main zib menu for only fav'd games.

So like

- All Games
- Favorites
- Settings
- Quit

Something like that.

Sound kinda lot like mythtv's emulator frontend. Which is not a bad thing in this sense.

'B-ZaR' said:
'Tiptup300' said:

So like

- All Games
- Favorites
- Settings
- Quit

Something like that.

Sound kinda lot like mythtv's emulator frontend. Which is not a bad thing in this sense.
Nothing wrong with imitating a well established system like MythTv. Stars are good and I think I can added both ideas without causing any GUI type blunders.

TipTup300

should we change the main menu from

-Game Library
-Manage Emulators
-Manage Roms
-Zib Settings

- Exit

to

-All ganes
-Favoirtes
-Settings

-Exit

?

Im fine with the format change. It would make some of the setting options easier to lay out if their all in the same area.

Aimless_E said:
'B-ZaR' said:
'Tiptup300' said:

So like

- All Games
- Favorites
- Settings
- Quit

Something like that.

Nothing wrong with imitating a well established system like MythTv. Stars are good and I think I can added both ideas without causing any GUI type blunders.

TipTup300

-Game Library
-Manage Emulators
-Manage Roms
-Zib Settings

- Exit

to

-All ganes
-Favoirtes
-Settings

-Exit

?

Im fine with the format change. It would make some of the setting options easier to lay out if their all in the same area.
Sounds good. If "Zib Settings" becomes a submenu of "Settings", I'd change it to "general" or something to avoid redundancy. Is the "favorites" menu item shown even if the user has set no favorites? Also I'd swap "all games" and "favorites" places to allow faster access to most used functions (unless you plan to set the cursor to "favorites" by default anyway).

'B-ZaR' said:
'Aimless_E' said:
'B-ZaR' said:
'Tiptup300' said:

So like

- All Games
- Favorites
- Settings
- Quit

Something like that.

TipTup300

-Game Library
-Manage Emulators
-Manage Roms
-Zib Settings

- Exit

to

-All ganes
-Favoirtes
-Settings

-Exit

?

Sounds good. If "Zib Settings" becomes a submenu of "Settings", I'd change it to "general" or something to avoid redundancy. Is the "favorites" menu item shown even if the user has set no favorites? Also I'd swap "all games" and "favorites" places to allow faster access to most used functions (unless you plan to set the cursor to "favorites" by default anyway).

Agreed, Though I think I like "Game Library" as apposed to "All Games" I think it implies a totality that "All Games" for what ever reason does not. I would also settle for "Games" to keep with the one word format.

such as:
-Favorites
-Games
-Settings
----Emulators
----Roms
----General
-Exit

I'd rather have Favorites 2nd. And did you think about that quicklaunch idea I had at all?

I figure Games Library sounds better so

- Games Library
- Favorites
- Settings
- Quit

Tiptup300 said:
I'd rather have Favorites 2nd. And did you think about that quicklaunch idea I had at all?

Since we can assume it's going to have games, how about just "Library"? Or is that too booky? :)

B-ZaR said:
Tiptup300 said:

Since we can assume it's going to have games, how about just "Library"? Or is that too booky? :)

Why not "Collection".

Just my 0.02€ 0.01€.

'Tiptup300' said:

- Games Library
- Favorites
- Settings
- Quit
The one about generating the quick launch Icons that would show up on the pandoras main interface? If so, Its going to be done, I think its a great Idea, or did you mean the star thing? or was there something I missed?

For them to show up on the menu (if we're using libpnd), they'd have to write in support for it into the pxml spec.

'Aimless_E' said:
'Tiptup300' said:

- Games Library
- Favorites
- Settings
- Quit
The one about generating the quick launch Icons that would show up on the pandoras main interface? If so, Its going to be done, I think its a great Idea, or did you mean the star thing? or was there something I missed?

Yeah that's the idea I was talking about.

'Vorporeal' said:
For them to show up on the menu (if we're using libpnd), they'd have to write in support for it into the pxml spec.
Ill have to pay more attention to that thread then. :)

It seems kinda strange that they would have to modify anything if all I'm creating is an icon that points back to ZiB with one or two command line options.

'Aimless_E' said:
'Vorporeal' said:

It seems kinda strange that they would have to modify anything if all I'm creating is an icon that points back to ZiB with one or two command line options.

I think the spec automatically creates one icon. IIRC, there's support for a context menu (or something like that), but there isn't support for putting in various icons to be displayed.

Vorporeal said:
'Aimless_E' said:
'Vorporeal' said:

I think the spec automatically creates one icon. IIRC, there's support for a context menu (or something like that), but there isn't support for putting in various icons to be displayed.
Hey, remeber: The PXML spec is for application packages (such as PND files), not for launchers. For launchers, just use your normal .desktop files, as per the FSF standard.

'dflemstr' said:
'Vorporeal' said:
'Aimless_E' said:
'Vorporeal' said:

Hey, remeber: The PXML spec is for application packages (such as PND files), not for launchers. For launchers, just use your normal .desktop files, as per the FSF standard.

And the .desktop files can be used in both the easy and advanced interfaces?

'dflemstr' said:
'Vorporeal' said:
'Aimless_E' said:
'Vorporeal' said:

I'm having trouble differentiating between the two. Explain?

I have a few updates on ZiB to report.
I have re-arranged the main menu as per our last few thread posts.
We now have a Favorites option that appears only when there are favorites found, and a toggle button has been added to the game menu under the Library,Collections,Games button in which to add and remove games from favorites.
Im redesigning the Settings screen to reflect the new layout and I should have the auto detection code ready by middle of next week.

Now to the really important descovery. It seems that ZiB is slag for Penis in certain parts of the world, and even though I have no problem with male anatomy or its slang I don't thiink it is very profesional to have a "penis" on the pandora. So its time for a name change.

Back