Pandora Pandora Emulator Frontend

Aimless_E posted on May 15 2009 at 01:30 PM said:
Now to the really important descovery. It seems that ZiB is slag for Penis in certain parts of the world, and even though I have no problem with male anatomy or its slang I don't thiink it is very profesional to have a "penis" on the pandora. So its time for a name change.
That is pretty hilarious! Its too bad to, 'penis' would've worked on so many levels for some emulating software.

Anyways I suggest going classic and thinking of a greek word. I mix and match the greek roots, they might not make actual sense but whatever.
"Pan/Panto" means all, which is a good prefix.

Maybe 'Panicon'? That would mean 'all pictures'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek...ish_derivatives

This is what I have been using to make up names for my game.

Last edited by a moderator:
senorgomez posted on May 15 2009 at 10:00 AM said:
Aimless_E posted on May 15 2009 at 01:30 PM said:
Now to the really important descovery. It seems that ZiB is slag for Penis in certain parts of the world, and even though I have no problem with male anatomy or its slang I don't thiink it is very profesional to have a "penis" on the pandora. So its time for a name change.
That is pretty hilarious! Its too bad to, 'penis' would've worked on so many levels for some emulating software.

Anyways I suggest going classic and thinking of a greek word. I mix and match the greek roots, they might not make actual sense but whatever.
"Pan/Panto" means all, which is a good prefix.

Maybe 'Panicon'? That would mean 'all pictures'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek...ish_derivatives

This is what I have been using to make up names for my game.

Thanks, Its a good idea. Ill try a few out to see how it goes.

First off, I'm happy the forums back.

For the name I thought maybe mixing Axio (Worthy) and just Z

So first I thought of Axio-Z which I didn't like so no preview.

Then I though of Axiz:

deleted.png

and then I thought of Zxio:

delete.png

Those are my thoughts.

hells_dark posted on May 16 2009 at 04:57 AM said:
Cool, some news.
I'm still waiting for your beta to try my skin ;)

Might be a little more difficult then that at the moment Hells_dark. I'll see about posting a diagram of where the individual image files are placed so that you can name them acordedly. But if its an extreme redesign youll need to install edje which is a part of the efl. It will alow you more flexiblity in skining and in the end will keep me from having to do any reprograming to fit themeing needs.

Do you run linux or the efl via libevil (windows compatiblity library)

@Tiptup300

I like the way Axiz looks but it seems that theres a rock/pop band by the same name. they're not bad... but there it is.
Zxio is an area in second space thats rated mature. I'm not a second sace user so I dont know exactly what that means.

A couple of my *cough* beta testers like the name Effigy (which is a sculpture or other item created to show respect or honor for the past) Think of king tuts sarcafocus [spelling] it was a guilded effigy for the dried remains of the man within. Theres still time to think about it however. I think we might just want to to give another day or two to see what other names pop up and then make a poll to see what our peers like.

I know this is old etc, but I noticed the post only now because of the forum being down after it was posted:
Vorporeal posted on Apr 21 2009 at 09:21 PM said:
I'm having trouble differentiating between the two. Explain?
A PXML is in a PND archive, telling launchers what that archive contains, and what to do with that archive (such as which icon to use, what to launch etc).
A .desktop file is a shortcut for some kind of executable, used to launch anything basically.

You can actually generate a .desktop file from a PXML if you want to. All the info needed for a .desktop file is in a PXML file; the PXML file just contains more information.

A PXML is in a PND archive, telling launchers what that archive contains, and what to do with that archive (such as which icon to use, what to launch etc"].
A .desktop file is a shortcut for some kind of executable, used to launch anything basically.

You can actually generate a .desktop file from a PXML if you want to. All the info needed for a .desktop file is in a PXML file; the PXML file just contains more information.[/quote]Thanks for clearing this up. I was waiting for a clear answer before implementing the option.

A PXML is in a PND archive, telling launchers what that archive contains, and what to do with that archive (such as which icon to use, what to launch etc"].

You can actually generate a .desktop file from a PXML if you want to. All the info needed for a .desktop file is in a PXML file; the PXML file just contains more information.[/quote]Ah, good to know. I'm still wondering if there is any support in PXML for multiple launcher shortcuts to be possible from the PXML file (doubt it), or whether it would be worth it to include support.

Quick Update

Added MD5sum support to game list. Runs only when the list is built/rebuilt. to speed up execution of subsequent launches. It broke my sorting code and my favorites. More to come

Added ROM auto discovery, unfortunately this limits the program back to 9999 individual "Verified" roms or every genesis,snes,PCengine(TurboGFX16),and ~4000 MAME roms. ;-)

Fixed the System sort.
Still working on date and genre.
Favorites is working 98% the way I want. No desktop file creation yet. Planning on tackling that this week.

GUI improvements are underway as well. Adding more feedback to operations that take more time than others. See above for and example of one of these tasks.

Nice to see it moving along.

Any progress on a name? Personally I'd forget about the whole cryptic/symbolic meaning thing and call it something silly like Ostrich. Pointless wordplay for the win.

Nice to see it moving along.

Any progress on a name? Personally I'd forget about the whole cryptic/symbolic meaning thing and call it something silly like Ostrich. Pointless wordplay for the win.
Okay then how about one of the "evils" that were released upon the world by Pandora. Like strife or anguish or reality tv shows.

flora and fauna are fine too. As long as its not mud duck.

I was hoping to get more than three options before making a poll.

Okay then how about one of the "evils" that were released upon the world by Pandora. Like strife or anguish or reality tv shows.

no offense... but those are pretty "lame", if you ask me.

no offense... but those are pretty "lame", if you ask me.
None taken. I was merely trying to get more options by throwing out bad ideas.

Oh and just encase you missed the point, flora and fauna are not names but categories that we can choose names from.
flora = plants
fauna = animals

Latest version of .... PEF <_<

Precautions:

1. Executable is compiled for linux i386
2. You need the EFL installed before you can hope to run it.
3. Lot of things are still....rough.

What I hope to achieve from releasing it.

1. Prove that it is indeed coming along.
2. Give everyone an idea of performance on various platforms.
3. Maybe even get it compiled on or for a beagle board for testing on actual hardware.

Pipe Dreams.

1. In data-->emu_config-->[emulator] you will find a game.list file. This file has every game I have for that system and its corresponding md5sum. I need someone to verify as many of the md5sums as they can to make sure it will work on the Pandora as planned.

2. The same game.list file from above is semi-colon delimited and will be where game information is retrieved. The fields are laid out like this:

md5sum: Title:publisher;year;emulator;developer;system;genre;flyer;

If anyone would like to tackle a certain emulator/game list. Feel free. Just don't add or delete fields. Make your intentions known so that no one else attempts the same list.

Thanks.

Back