• No

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • If it can do x (please state)

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you should think in a netbook with:

-20+ hours of battery life (Yes, you can!!! just look at the pandora, it last 10 hours and is very small)
-Touchscreen
-Mini contol like the pandora (Better with bluetooth)
-Instant On (or permanent stand by mode)
-SSD: Normal hard drive could be damaged and sucks battery. Let's face it: SD cards are very SLOW. In order yo keep cost down you can put a very small SSD for the software (4GB like the asus eee) and the media and files will be stored in SD cards or a portable hard drive with an USB port
-Ethernet port: Mandatory on netbooks and laptops
-2 GiB of ram (need that to read tons of webpages and youtube videos for example)
-4 REAL USB, no hub, hubs sucks
-VGA and RCA video output (if you want to use it with a video-beam at work or just play in your tv like the pandora)

Pros:
-You don't have to redesign totally the PCB
-With the control you can play pandora games very well (and can use it as a remote if it is bluetooth)
-You have a bigger market: Netbook market, e-book-reader market, Pandora market and entertainment market (maybe pda market too).
-You don't have to pick between netbook or pandora, just go for pandora-netbook (I picked netbook last time)
-The processor of the pandora can do it all very well
-Pandora netbook could replace the notepads with his touchscreen and long life battery: NO NETBOOK CAN REPLACE A NOTEPAD OUT OF THE BOX, and i think, no one will do it soon: almost all models and prototypes don't have long battery live (they use atom processors) or don't have touchscreen. As an student, i LOVE this feature.
-When my eee pc dies (in a year maybe), I will buy it.
-You take all the advantages of the pandora platform.

Cons:
-Need new keyboard, and new parts
-Maybe you will sell less Pandoras | i don't think that will be a problem
-You will have to rise the price up
-You will have to make a new poll

I like a LOT the idea of a pandora netbook i think is better than the pandora box :D

Pros:
-You don't have to redesign totally the PCB
Actually, it would require a large redesign, and some of those things aren't even possible with this setup. If you keep the OMAP, 2gb of RAM is not an option. The highest currently available is 256mb afaik, and 512mb is coming soon but will be very costly. And I think the 3530 only allows for one USB 2.0 port and one OTG port.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than a re-arranged keyboard and being able to make your own text adventure games, isn't that just a kindle 2?
Only in the same sense that the Pandora is just like the PSP with a keyboard.
I want something that's open like the Kindle isn't.

OMAP4 is a couple years out still.
Not so:
"Availability TI's OMAP 4 platform and development tools are expected to sample in the second half of 2009, with production expected by the second half of 2010. These products are intended for high-volume wireless OEMs and ODMs and are not available through distributors."

http://focus.ti.com/pr/docs/preldetail.tsp...;prelId=sc09021

Closer to one year away, with samples coming soon. The high volume part is probably the kicker.

They said the same thing about OMAP3 and it was two years later before the chips ever hit any kind of mass production. I don't doubt samples will be available soon but that doesn't mean anyone will have a product out for Christmas or anything. :)

How can they ask for interrest in a cube when the Pandora prommise did not materialse yet and it gets more questionable if it ever will befor the interrest dies.
I'm not sure what your motives are, or if you're genuinely skeptical about the project and worried for those who have already payed for it (all your posts seem to be trying to scare people off or something). If you really had been watching the project for as long as you say in your other post, you'd know there have been leaps and bounds of progress over the last couple months. So relax, it's only 2 months off. :p Seriously though, these guys are legit and you'd know that if you'd spend some time on these forums (I know it says I've only been a member a few weeks, but I've been lurking here since the project was announced"].[/quote]
No real motives just a genuined skeptic (a skeptic drunk last night :) ).
The more they miss there deadline (if there is still one) they loze credebility and the product is lozing momentum.(and get out dated if it takes too looooonnnnnggggg).

The developers need a kick in the bud to keep moving befor they loze intrest from customers.

PS i love spicy remarks.

How can they ask for interrest in a cube when the Pandora prommise did not materialse yet and it gets more questionable if it ever will befor the interrest dies.
I'm not sure what your motives are, or if you're genuinely skeptical about the project and worried for those who have already payed for it (all your posts seem to be trying to scare people off or something). If you really had been watching the project for as long as you say in your other post, you'd know there have been leaps and bounds of progress over the last couple months. So relax, it's only 2 months off. :p Seriously though, these guys are legit and you'd know that if you'd spend some time on these forums (I know it says I've only been a member a few weeks, but I've been lurking here since the project was announced"].[/quote]
No real motives just a genuined skeptic (a skeptic drunk last night :) ).
The more they miss there deadline (if there is still one) they loze credebility and the product is lozing momentum.(and get out dated if it takes too looooonnnnnggggg"].

The developers need a kick in the bud to keep moving befor they loze intrest from customers.

PS i love spicy remarks.[/quote]you think they're being lazy about this? they're spending all their spare time working on this project and making sure it will make it into our hands. it only seems this way because they tell us everything that's going on, unlike nintendo or sony, who would just say this product is delayed until this date. (and i strongly urge you to use spellcheck).

OMAP4 is a couple years out still.
Not so:
"Availability TI's OMAP 4 platform and development tools are expected to sample in the second half of 2009, with production expected by the second half of 2010. These products are intended for high-volume wireless OEMs and ODMs and are not available through distributors."
http://focus.ti.com/pr/docs/preldetail.tsp...;prelId=sc09021

Closer to one year away, with samples coming soon. The high volume part is probably the kicker.

They said the same thing about OMAP3 and it was two years later before the chips ever hit any kind of mass production. I don't doubt samples will be available soon but that doesn't mean anyone will have a product out for Christmas or anything. :)

I think it'd be best to wait a bit before taking something like this on anyway, there is too many technologies that are either just emerging or right on the verge of major upgrades; support for technologies like USB 3.0, SDXC, WWAN and HDMI 1.4 or DisplayPort would net you a ton of attention if you could have one of the earlier products to the market. HD content is becoming more and more prevalent, and the OMAP3 can only just barely handle 720p--things like YouTube HD just plain won't work on OMAP3 because it doesn't have the power to handle all that decoding.

A Pandora without an LCD is like a C64 with out a keyboard.

Great idea, sink some cash into it...

I'd be very interested if I could use it as a Mythtv client too:)
Then I could watch Tv and play Games on my Tv and the device would be very energy efficient .

I voted NO.
I mean, the pandora is alerady quite Stand-Alone. Ok it does not have HDMI but that's a handheld.
Good enough it got TV out already.

However, if you are considering doing another hardware, non roaming, different, but fully compatible with the pandora,
I'd say YES. Remember that SEGA already threw that idea with the duo DC-WMU. An nintendo made it better with GC-GBA.
Now we got technologically the mean to exploit it at it's fullest. Understand: if we can have a Gaming-oriented computer that for the living room that is
PERFECTLY compatible with the roaming device, that would be really cool.

I would buy one if it had:

- built-in USB-hub + USB ports
- built-in power supply
- (dual) ethernet, from USB if you have to
- some form of remote control (IR, Bluetooth or with just USB cable even)
- dvi/vga + S-Video + composite
- line in/out + RCA connectors
- room for 2.5 inch harddisk(s)
- room for current Pandora battery so it wouldn't ever have to shut down, but still be able to move around.
- RS-232

I would use it for:

development
NAS
XBMC
HTTP/FTP/whatnot
router
internet radio
generally have fun messing around with it

I would love it if it came in a box that's easy to mod and have easy access to the motherboard.
Yes, you could build a cheap PC, but that would be noisy and draw much more power.

If I had the chance I'd order a (replacement) Pandora motherboard with DVI daughterboard and build it myself. I considered a Beagleboard for $150++, but I'm scared. I believe a Pandora would be easier to handle. It comes with friendly people to hold my hand, but I could be totally wrong about being afraid of Beagleboard.

So if the idea is to sell more Pandora motherboards: just sell them. I'll buy ;)

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...mp;#entry731814 See Aetix remark it made me smile.

To all the smart people i am sorry to be so dump that i can not write and must be stupid.
But yea sure do not take me serious anyway you can't bite my head off that is be don before.

Well i have finally recovered from my hangover.Now i just have to recover from realizing i did write to a languish school instead of a Pandora forum.
I am not native to the English languish and learned it the hard way.
I am struggling with the written languish but can speak it quit well.
With writing i am still confused when there are two LL ore TT one L ore one T like wel or well same as bell ore bel. Why two LL not just one?
Ore why do i write and not writte but it is written and not writen.?
One sheep two sheep not one sheep two sheeps.
One horse two horses not one horse but two horse.
any ore anny one mistake i make all the time.
color or coulor well it is clear the second the first is American not English.
How about tomaato or tomato or tomaatto ore tomatto confused jet?Well i am.
Night ore nite booth are used but one is American i think (not sure if it is a common mistake) the first is English by the way.
Another one lassie ore shiella (well that is slang two words same meaning sort off).
I can keep coming but it is a Pandora side and because i got sensitive remarks i have the courtesie to be sensitive back.
All in all don't take me to serious i don't even take myself serious (if i could grin wider my head will split and please not again i just recovert)
Enjoy the forum and lets hope the Pandora will materialize soon.

I hope i made the sensitive people happy.
PS i used a spell check to please u all and i left some mistakes (crab i am really sh*t at this)
Well all i want to say is that English is a beeping confusing languish to me having a handicap i am dis???????????F*CK how do i write that..

Hope you enjoyed it.

This is sarcasem i just tell you becouse it does not travel well by text.

languish??
language + anguish = languish
Clever if that was on purpose :)

Edit: Its actually a real word, i think the poster meant language now and his spell checker didnt complain
lan·guish (lāng'gwĭsh)
intr.v. lan·guished, lan·guish·ing, lan·guish·es
1. To be or become weak or feeble; lose strength or vigor.
2. To exist or continue in miserable or disheartening conditions: languished away in prison.
3. To remain unattended or be neglected: legislation that continued to languish in committee.
4. To become downcast or pine away in longing: languish apart from friends and family; languish for a change from dull routine.
5. To affect a wistful or languid air, especially in order to gain sympathy.

Pickle your quick.

I did mention off leaving spelling mistakes.
I did write language wrong but the spell check came with multiple possibility's.
Wondering if people would take a dictionary i looked up a few words but liked this one strait away.
I found the meaning (become less successful: to decline steadily, becoming less vital, strong, or successful
) cool because i was not successful on the forum to get a reply on the Pandora.
Also mentioning off
lan·guish [ láng gwish ] i found funny and you may fill in why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back