Pandora At Maxconsole

Speaking of llamas... Craig needs to get Jeff Minter to do something for Pandora! Jeff is a pretty open-minded fellow, he might do it just for fun.

Would that not be sweet?! :p

Why does everyone think the Pandora is going to emulate the Dreamcast or DS at fullspeed? Was this posted somewhere? It's starting to get annoying with people posting legitimate arguments, but ruining them with mentions of that.

Prophet said:
Speaking of llamas... Craig needs to get Jeff Minter to do something for Pandora!
Hell yeah he does. I loved Llamatron. Luckily his old games should run just fine on c64, Atari PC, and DOS emulators.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you have to realize this product looks like a joke to them as they already have a console they are happy with. I have a PSP and its performance in emulation is great, but it's hampered by a poor d-pad, clumsily placed analog nub, only "Decent" battery life and the extreme cost of Memory Stick. My 2gb MS card was $37 and I see on NewEgg an 8gb SDHC is just $27, from Sandisk even!

The CPU is outrageously more powerful, the GPU is dramatically beefier and there's tons more RAM but this means nothing to most of them it seems til they see real results. So people are resorting to making outrageous claims to win such people over.. not very smart. I'm more interested to see the things PSP emulates, done better (higher framerate, better battery life, better control scheme.) Hopefully Pandora won't disappoint.

PlopperZ said:
Why does everyone think the Pandora is going to emulate the Dreamcast or DS at fullspeed? Was this posted somewhere? It's starting to get annoying with people posting legitimate arguments, but ruining them with mentions of that.
It was just speculation (of course) in some topics, but sadly some kids saw the discussions here, and just ran with it.

And you are right - ignorant mentions of Pandora emulating DS and Dreamcast are not good, and only negatively impact discussions of the Pandora's viability.

Chip said:
Prophet said:
Speaking of llamas... Craig needs to get Jeff Minter to do something for Pandora!
Hell yeah he does. I loved Llamatron. Luckily his old games should run just fine on c64, Atari PC, and DOS emulators.

Yeah, but I wanna see something new and fruity from Minter. :)

What was that Minter game for the Gamecube that never got published? Can't recall the name, but I remember seeing some trippy screenshots and dev info on his forums. That might actually port well to Pandora... That and F-Zero GX were the reasons I finally bought a Cube at the time.

Alex. said:
Jonttu said:
I posted about the Pandora on Llamma.com and got the same PSP/DS fanboyism.
Oh, as opposed to your
Can the PSP emulate Dreamcast and N64 games at full speed? I haven't seen it yet. It will also be able to emulate DS games at full speed using a Linux build of no$gba. Any emulators or programs available for Linux will be available for Pandora. I rest my case.

Better get cracking on all them fullspeed ports Jonttu :rolleyes:

Fanboyism does not do anyone any favors, especially in the pre-production phase. I noticed someone was kind enough to correct him at llamma.com.

PlopperZ said:
The worst thing is that it's being said in news posts (at least the DS part). Granted, they usually just say that DS emulation will be possible, which realistically I think it will be, but obviously it'll take someone to do an emulator that's significantly more optimized than any DS emulator currently out there. Personally, I regret ever suggesting that such a thing would be viable.

I recall people saying the same thing about gba emulation on the psp and some shmuck threw one together and it runs great I forget his name though ;)

Chip said:
Prophet said:

Holy hell that would be so awesome if Jeff Minter ever did something for the Pandora. Very unlikely, but hey you never know. It would also be nice to play his Tempest 2000 as well. =) Jaguar version of course! The PSX version is more pretty, but there's something about the Jaguar version that is so much better. Llamatron is one of the first games I've played by Jeff. I got a full version shareware demo from an ST magazine. I actually like the ST version better than the DOS or Amiga version which is funny since I had all 3. Never thought I'd like an ST game more than an Amiga version. Anyway when I saw this post saying they talked about it over at maxconsole I just laughed and knew how it was going to go. That site is a haven of morons. Not everyone there, but damn the comments speak for themselves. Another site though that might like the Pandora is Tehskeen.com They are mainly a GC/Wii Dev sceene site, but at least they're anti maxconsole.

Im glad they havent posted one of the features craig & co havent discussed yet. The pandora packs a railgun that shoots PSP's & DS's fanboys without warning.

Exophase said:
PlopperZ said:
The worst thing is that it's being said in news posts (at least the DS part). Granted, they usually just say that DS emulation will be possible, which realistically I think it will be, but obviously it'll take someone to do an emulator that's significantly more optimized than any DS emulator currently out there. Personally, I regret ever suggesting that such a thing would be viable.

Every one has their Barak Obama moment ;)

Any way I've played on a PSP and I think they are awefull, the screens are crap and give me a headache and the controls are down right uncomfortable, mind you I hate the PS controllers too, and as for commercial games releases.... keep them derivative crap with nothing new to add to the gaming scene anyway, except mayby that one with the squidgie ball thing rolling around, that looks cool... and wipeout (always been a fan of that though) the rest are just cut down versions of games on other consoles. The biggest bug bear I have though is when the PSP fan boys harp on about the emu scene on the PSP.... well it's a pain in the fudging ass why would I want to spend all that money just to risk bricking a machine from a dev that does everything it can to kill the homebrew market by making more and more difficult to do homebrew.

liquidphantom said:
Any way I've played on a PSP and I think they are awefull, the screens are crap and give me a headache and the controls are down right uncomfortable, mind you I hate the PS controllers too, and as for commercial games releases.... keep them derivative crap with nothing new to add to the gaming scene anyway, except mayby that one with the squidgie ball thing rolling around, that looks cool... and wipeout (always been a fan of that though) the rest are just cut down versions of games on other consoles. The biggest bug bear I have though is when the PSP fan boys harp on about the emu scene on the PSP.... well it's a pain in the fudging ass why would I want to spend all that money just to risk bricking a machine from a dev that does everything it can to kill the homebrew market by making more and more difficult to do homebrew.
Thanks to intrepid hackers, you don't have to worry about bricking anymore. All PSP bricks can be recovered now :) Also, there are some good, innovative PSP games you are overlooking, such as Lumines, Patapon, and Echochrome. And I believe that PSP screens now have substantially less ghosting than launch units... Basically what I'm trying to say that whereas it does have its pitfalls (such as its homebrew scene being in the shitter right now, as you mention), it's not a bad platform.

Back