Samsung dropping ARM for future mobile devices

Garrett

Advanced Member
& moving to Mobile x86

maxconsole

I know little about mobile processors, but am I right in thinking this could offer significant benefits over comparative devices using ARM..?

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's make this clear: Samsung is migrating one of their many, many products from using ARM to using x86. This tablet is fairly low end by current industry standards (and they're not even using the best Intel SoC for it). There is no indication that Samsung is dropping ARM for all future products like your title is implying.

It's also of note that they're using a dual-A9 Marvell SoC for the next 7" Galaxy Tab, an SoC which looks worse than their old Exynos 4s in most ways. I think Samsung is basically selling these out to the lowest bidder and expanding their SoC relationships. They may be investing in moving bigger products to Merrifield or Bay Trail and this could be testing the waters with Intel but we really don't know.

As for offering significant benefits over ARM tablets.. like what? It runs Android. I don't think x86 WINE for Android is even a thing.

Samsung is migrating one of their many, many products from using ARM to using x86. This tablet is fairly low end by current industry standards (and they're not even using the best Intel SoC for it). There is no indication that Samsung is dropping ARM for all future products like your title is implying.
Quoted for emphasis.

Back