Pandora At Maxconsole

sm1988 said:
seeing this post made me want to join this forum, I am a proud owner of a psp hacked to the gills and I love my little homebrew baby but if the pandora takes off then you will see it on ebay. With the specs that the pandora is promising plus a full keyboard and tv out it is pretty much everything that me and alot of other people have been waiting for I really hope this thing takes off.

Welcome to our community my level headed friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
sm1988 said:
seeing this post made me want to join this forum, I am a proud owner of a psp hacked to the gills and I love my little homebrew baby but if the pandora takes off then you will see it on ebay. With the specs that the pandora is promising plus a full keyboard and tv out it is pretty much everything that me and alot of other people have been waiting for I really hope this thing takes off.
I was/am a psp homebrewer and I have to agree that the community sucks, most other psp devs will agree. The reason is that any idiot spoiled 12 year old can get their hands on one, I always liked the look of the gp2x scene but the gp2x seemed too flawed to spend my money on. The specs of this thing will likely draw in a lot of experienced developers without the 1000's of annoying 12 year olds which is one more thing that makes me want to buy one.

Still for the most part people on maxconsole just want to play commercial quality games, so they are hardly the target market. If you just want commercial grade games to play (including emulation) then the psp is cheaper, more easily (cheaply) available and easier to get running for the most part.

sm1988 said:
Welcome to the forum :)

This is exactly why, despite some inane ramblings from uninformed commentators, that publicitiy like this is always helpful -- even on Maxconsole, you'll notice there are a handful of people who had never heard of Pandora before, but were very interested in it after reading the blurb.

People there are too narrow-minded and think the PSP can do everything Pandora will. Well, without a touchscreen and keyboard (and second anlogue), I fail to see how! Plus the ease of developing innovative homebrew, and the raw power... even things like MAME and Amiga emulation will be many times better.

Pandora is in a whole other class than the PSP or DS and can't really be compared.

Stuff like that makes me think the FAQ needs to be re-written for morons.

What's that saying again? Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups?

I love some of the random guess work by these geniuses though, like the OpenGL will be software rather than hardware and that the Pandora has no RAM.

Gads.

I'd love to see the flip side of this though, their forum designing a handheld... :)

craigix said:
What's that saying again? Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups?
I think that quite sums up the PSP homebrew scene (with a few exceptions).

craigix said:
I'd love to see the flip side of this though, their forum designing a handheld... :)
They don't need to. The PSP is God's handheld to them.

@Tinnus

They had testes on that. THey're in Youtube with plastic and paper replicas or...<snip>

You may want to fix that typo before they ravage you with their immature preteen minds.

Shiny said:
craigix said:
@Tinnus

They had testes on that. THey're in Youtube with plastic and paper replicas or...<snip>

You may want to fix that typo before they ravage you with their immature preteen minds.

o no It is the spelling Police! run ;) :lol: :lol: B)

Do they know that that image is a render on the Pandora? I didn't see anyone mention that.

They are a bunch of tools, just like Chip said; they are married to their PSP's and DS's.

Bunch of fanboy's.

craigix said:
LOL! thanks to that I almost choked on my dinner! :D

Also, while I haven't posted in a while, I have been watching the Pandora like a hawk and I can't wait!
I can tell you that you'll be selling at least 2 of them from the 1st consumer batch here in Florida. ;)

Keep up the great work, guys! :)

Shiny said:
craigix said:
I think that quite sums up the PSP homebrew scene (with a few exceptions).

craigix said:
They don't need to. The PSP is God's handheld to them.

@Tinnus

No, I think he had it right the first time.

craigix said:
Stuff like that makes me think the FAQ needs to be re-written for morons.
Heh... Even if you did, CraigX, someone would build an improved moron as a result... ;)

Indeed. I think that's the source of a lot of problems in the world today... :D

I love some of the random guess work by these geniuses though, like the OpenGL will be software rather than hardware and that the Pandora has no RAM.

Gads.

There's a reason that I got the impression that most (but not all, welcome to the crowd over here, sm1988!) were denser than depleted uranium over there.

Oh, lord... What are you, a masochist or something? :D

craigix said:
I imagine it would look and function uncannily like a PSP, but with some sort of custom artwork. Or just some stickers in the box. They'd have Sony manufacture them.

A touch screen PSP with 8 buttons on the side instead of 4; with motion control, similar to the sixaxis and a line of flashing Christmas LEDs all along the sides. R and L triggers on both the top and bottom with velvet backside and a transparrent UMD slot so you can see the disc spin. Oh, and some rad stickers.

icurafu said:
A touch screen PSP with 8 buttons on the side instead of 4; with motion control, similar to the sixaxis and a line of flashing Christmas LEDs all along the sides. R and L triggers on both the top and bottom with velvet backside and a transparrent UMD slot so you can see the disc spin. Oh, and some rad stickers.
I'd buy that :lol:

The GPxx (and by extension, the Zodiac) has always appealed to a more "mature" audience by default, so this should be no surprise to anyone.

PSP (and DS, and GBA etc.) are mainstream handhelds that also just happen to be able to run homebrew and emulators. A significant percentage of their demographic will be younger, less educated, less tech/computer savvy and (dare I say it...) less intelligent.

Pandora is a homebrew/emulation device first and foremost, and appeals to a totally different type of audience.

And mind you - I LOVE my handhelds. I love my PSP (custom firmware is godly). But the Pandora is very unique and filled to the brim with all sorts of potential that no mainstream device can offer. But your typical mainstream gaming kid is not going to see that.

And it's all for the best. It keeps a lot of dumdums off our forums. ;)

Gruso said:
Hooray for copypasta news, and the brand-whore responses in their forums.

"Doesn't the PSP already do all this plus more?" lol.
Well the thing is those that are too short sighted to know the difference and will stick with the L337 H4xx0r3d PSP are best kept away from here and the Pandora anyway :p

I added some more commentary, under the username "i_esn_i" ("Esn" was taken).

Jeezus, I don't even own a GP2X. :rolleyes:

But I'll have to replace my GP32 someday, I guess. It's still serving me well, but it's aging (its battery cover is broken and some of the diagonals don't work).

joschu said:
Here is a news entry about the Pandora at maxconsole.

That link reminded me why I don't visit maxconsole. :lol:

Lets just hope that QJ.net never finds out about the Pandora. :blink:

Hmmm.

I been looking at this forum every day since that post on maxconsole.

I'm impressed with the proposed specs for pandora, but I have my reservations on whether it will come out the said dates. Nonetheless I'll buy one if it comes out.

I just want to say one thing to the guys hating on maxconsole, and the PSP. They have some of the best devs and hackers in that scene, and if pandora ever gets as many devs supporting it as the PSP has (or modders as the eee pc), then you'll be very lucky!

Back