Pandora And Psp 2

'Nik1' said:
I just read this article today, what you guys think any chance the PSP2's hardware will outperform the OpenPandora? I know specs arent yet released for the PSP2, but we can speculate a little...
you might want to add a link to the article you are talking about ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=46869

Performance is one pice of the puzzle, but as in all comparisons .. the Pandora is more about form factor and function than pure performance (though it performs like a _monster_ too.) ie: The touchscreen plus keyboard plus controllers, as well as running Linux and fully open.

For me, the PSP2 rumoured device is huge fail -- looks like trying ot hold it woudl be your fingers behind it with your thumbs on the very front lip where the analog nubs are .. very very unfortable sounding. But these are all rumours anyway..

I really like the PSP Slim (PSP2000).

jeff

I couldn't get to the link. I assume this is what you're talking about:

CODE
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PSP/Playstation+Portable+2/news.asp?c=12612

Engadget also posted some pics today
CODE
http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/07/latest-psp2-rumor-covers-familar-ground-adds-pre-xmas-release-d/

All I gotta say is ... damn that looks uncomfortable!

It doesn't matter. The PSP2 will sell way, way, way, way (... back in a minute ...) way, way, way more than the Pandora. This is an acceptable truth. But it will serve a different group of people. The Pandora is an open platform with easy access to development; the PSP (and subsequent PSP2) is not.
If we assume the PSP2 will outperform the Pandora in every respect, it still won't be suitable to the group of people for whom the Pandora is targeted. This group is still large, and there is no fear of the PSP2 usurping the position of geek-toy-extreme from the Pandora for these people.
On the other hand, if we assume the PSP2 specs are below that of the Pandora, it still changes nothing: the overlap of Sony vs Pandora fans is sufficiently small that those sitting on the fence, even if swayed one way or the other, should not make that big of a mark in any sort of sales figures.
These are just estimates, simple "facts" and "figures" pulled out of my nether regions, but it makes logical sense to me. We can debate the PSP2 all we want, but at the end of the day, I'm fairly certain it won't matter.

lucidchaos said:
All I gotta say is ... damn that looks uncomfortable!
Just to play devil's advocate here, that's exactly what the PSP fanbois and Gizmodo folks keep saying about the Pandora. How can I defend the Pandora's form from people who have never tried it when there are those in our midst who use the exact same "oh so compelling" argument against rival devices of their own?

Hi, I'm a PSP veteran. Those pics of the PSP2 that are floating around are really old and not official at all. They're just mockups that some fans made when the rumors of the PSP-2000 were floating around. I'm fairly certain that there won't be a PSP2 for another year at least, given its past (such as the fact that they stated that the PSP would last until 2010, there are still PSP games coming out that far in the future, and the fact that there was a new PSP version in 2007 AND 2008, usually during Q3, etc)

So while there may be a PSP2 incoming, I highly doubt it'll be incoming this year.

E] Also, there were rumors floating around that the PSP-4000 would be completely redesigned and have a sliding screen, which is probably why these really old images are resurfacing.

As pointed out already, those mockups are ancient and were not made by Sony. It is very likely that Sony itself doesn't even know what the PSP2 hardware will look like or how it will perform. Until there are some actual images and / or specs, it is safe to assume that the PSP2 is at least 1.5-2 years away.

Since there is exactly zero chance that it will have a keyboard or be open for homebrew development (not without hacking at least), it is no more a legitimate option for anybody who is really interested in the Pandora than the current PSP is.

They'd have to pull a shit ton of strings to get me interested. Even if they do, I'll still want the Pandora. Its uniqueness sets it apart.

Even if the PSP2 existed, which it dosent because it;s nothing but rampant speculation it's still meant to be a completely different device from the pandora, just as tne iPhone and the DS (though to a lesser extent). It's a corporate mainstream game system with media abilities, not an open source handheld with heavy reliance on homebrew and emulators with netbook capabilities.

Two. Different. Animals.

Now please patent the Gamecontrols design for handhelds of the pandora, so you can get licensing fees from sony, if they want to implement the two analognubs with buttons and d-pad the same way! ;) :D

Wouldn't it be nice of Sony, that if and when they make a PSP 2 they released a firmware upgrade for the old model to make it totally open.

Seriously, it could be the new way of doing things - you turn your old handheld gaming console into a homebrew platform and leave the shiny new thing on shop shelves to make money.

Think of it like a donation - Sony donating the old PSP to the homebrew community. Bit like the GP32 I suppose.

ashdjones said:
Wouldn't it be nice of Sony, that if and when they make a PSP 2 they released a firmware upgrade for the old model to make it totally open.

Seriously, it could be the new way of doing things - you turn your old handheld gaming console into a homebrew platform and leave the shiny new thing on shop shelves to make money.

Think of it like a donation - Sony donating the old PSP to the homebrew community. Bit like the GP32 I suppose.
The GP32 was open for most of it's lifespan. Gamepark realised that they'd make a lot more sales if it was so.

'Nova' said:
The GP32 was open for most of it's lifespan. Gamepark realised that they'd make a lot more sales if it was so.
I said it was a bit like it my fellow pedant.

It would be a bit like it, yes, as both machines would have started out as commercial handhelds with a focus later shifted to homebrew. You could argue that were Sony to do this it would it would enable them to sell the old model for far longer - in which case it would be exactly the same.

It was only hypothetical in the first place!

Back