Pandora Alternative

It's been reported that Nintendo makes $6 off of every Wii console, but that was at launch. http://www.gamespot.com/news/6201833.html

I might have to consider the new DS over the Pandora, we'll see at E3. For me it would have to have some great media capability to consider, or a truly amazing experience with '3D' (and strong titles to go with it. Very large selling point there) - But I may be biased, I've gotten nearly all my handhelds from the Pokemon Company.

nintendodsds2mayfeaturemotiontiltcontrols.jpg

Multiplayer and chat support built-in. Incredible battery life!
86Spielesammlung.jpg

^ Including HALMA, OMG!

Attachments

• 86Spielesammlung.jpg
    86Spielesammlung.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 109
Prometheus said:
*WHAT* 3D screen?

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/03/nintendo-3ds

3M have licensed their 3D system to quite a few big names lately, I can imagine Nintendo flogging their (meagre) back catalog of Virtual Boy games in color as a way of getting the ball rolling.....!

Having said that, Sharp are Nintendo's Screen supplier and there is this:

http://www.develop-online.net/news/34275/Document-reveals-Sharps-supposed-3DS-screen-tech

So a 'barrier' (i.e. overlay) system is proposed - probably cheaper than 3M's superior system, but a lot better than traditional Lenticular plastic. Allegedly.
;)

Last edited by a moderator:
x68000 posted this in the other thread:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=240047

It's a DSi game using headtracking 3D. As I understand it, the technology used in 3DS is still up to speculation, so what if they just used ordinary screens and refined the processing hardware to calculate those headtracking data faster in their 3DS? It would be much better than having to stare at the screen at a certain angle and distance to keep the 3D effect, imo.

Rather than the camera demo they suggest that the 3DS implementation 'might' allow you to 'look around' a room (for example) by moving the handheld itself around (rather than have to do crazy dancing in public) - and the Sharp tech info suggests improved viewing angles over traditional barrier systems - so the two would pair up to give a 3D display you could manipulate by moving the unit. Not quite a hologram, but a kind of 'window' to a 3D world proposition!

Asmo said:
The headtracking is a demo on Wii,
I'm not into game consoles, but did you click the link? Looks like a DS in that vid and as I understand it it's an actual game sold in Japan, that's what's written on that site, at least.

mali said:
Asmo said:
The headtracking is a demo on Wii,
I'm not into game consoles, but did you click the link? Looks like a DS in that vid and as I understand it it's an actual game sold in Japan, that's what's written on that site, at least.

Yeah, my bad I always get the Wiiware and DSiware terms confused. The 3D tech rumours sensibly suggest that the proposed 3D machine would use a kind of Wiimote motion sensing rather than requiring you to act like a broken robot in public to manipulate the 3D view. ;)

To compare that DSiware game to the other video I posted above, the head of the player represents the sensor bar and the DSi's camera represents the Wiimote. The most significant difference is, that the cam is moved in that DSi game and the head is static. So in public you wouldn't look like a broken robot, but instead it would look like if you were playing a game using an accelerometer :) An untrained player would move his head though which would look pretty funny :D

Kangal said:
Pandora Alternative?

This is the only reasonable contender i see.

iWish!

Another alternative design spoof by same Artist.

The iPhone ELITE "Sold out tonight"

iPhoneELITE.jpg

See Blog for more info/designs.

Offtopic:
iPhone was revolutionary and awesome, and that's the way I thought Apple rolled.
But the iPad has failed before even releasing (i mean its a larger iPhone without phone! boring)
WiMo devices are pretty dull, Microsofts has a long legacy of dull.
But the MS Courier ... sexy beast, dont need it but it is irresistable.
Its like MS did to the iPad what Apple did with smartphone revolution, nice one MS.

All this = Bill Gates has died, someone else is incharge, (homeless) its a conspiracy man!

Attachments

• iPhoneELITE.jpg
    iPhoneELITE.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 127
borgqueenx said:
mali said:
Multiplayer and chat support built-in. Incredible battery life!
86Spielesammlung.jpg

^ Including HALMA, OMG!
infinite battery life!! :p

Include "Nunti-nun a luft balon" theme and I'm sold :D

Attachments

• 86Spielesammlung.jpg
    86Spielesammlung.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 116
This kind of "process" here could be interesting to not only have an impression of deepness, but also of "immersion". More over, as the Technic is able for only one person it is suitable for portable console. I don't if it is the same idea used on the DSi with the camera, but it can give some idea to code some nice game on the Pandora with a "Pandora eye" ;).

These artistic mockups are great because they're almost always utterly impossible. There's not even enough room on the slide out area for that keyboard and those gaming controls, much less is there room for both and the electrical and mechanical interfaces that need to be between it and the LCD side.

Using a 640x360 screen instead of an 800x480 one would also be pretty crazy for a variety of reasons.

Exophase said:
These artistic mockups are great because they're almost always utterly impossible. There's not even enough room on the slide out area for that keyboard and those gaming controls, much less is there room for both and the electrical and mechanical interfaces that need to be between it and the LCD side.

Using a 640x360 screen instead of an 800x480 one would also be pretty crazy for a variety of reasons.

True
N95 slide area is 46% of the phone length.
So if it had that design, the total slide should be 29mm/62mm.
Which means, the keyboard would need to be around 21mm, controls around 8mm.
So unless your a bunyip, this setup is not theesable!

Display ... so true.
Still this is a good spoof!

Ollonk said:
What happened to that render of the REAL pandora alternative that's floating around? I saw it posted once, but haven't seen it since. Also, I have a Dell Axim X30 until Pandora comes....

(You know, the render of the final image from the 'Pandora Alternative' spam/fun thread)
9b9m8.jpg

I believe we should recommend this to people who are looking for something x86:

3049625_6.jpg

http://buyer.madeinchina.com/MicBuyer/turbine/template/product,product.vm?itemcode=12074597
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7tbC2-kL2U&NR=1&feature=fvwp

mali said:
x68000 posted this in the other thread:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=240047

It's a DSi game using headtracking 3D. As I understand it, the technology used in 3DS is still up to speculation, so what if they just used ordinary screens and refined the processing hardware to calculate those headtracking data faster in their 3DS? It would be much better than having to stare at the screen at a certain angle and distance to keep the 3D effect, imo.

I read somewhere that this fails for *gulp* dark-skinned people something to do with rendering ... then there was a brother that said something like "man I hate these racist companies!"

I lol'D at the comment, something I didnt consider. What'll Dave Chapelle say about this?

its true ... this HP you mean?

HP are well embarrased, rightly so

www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/12/hp-notebooks-racist/

Back