How thick should Pandora 2 be?

• Pandora's thickness is comfortable, keep it similar for Pandora 2

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • It's too thick, make it thinner if you can

Votes: 32 35.6%
  • Either is fine

Votes: 37 41.1%

• Total voters

If it gets thinner, great. I just hope the quest for a thinner device doesn't result in the decision to use a less comfortable keyboard. Or sacrifice elsewhere really, it's just the keyboard is my main concern as a customer.

The "boxiness" could instead be addressed, give it more shape and some surface texture, maybe that feels much better than just thinner.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Fusion Power, that looks really great!

But I would definently get the bom boxes out of the lid and probably down the curved parts that holds the lid(where the leds are).

The screen must always be the maximum size of the whole case.

Given anything above a Cortex A8, ignoring the Cortex A7 which shouldn't really count, is going to tend to have a higher draw under load wouldn't thinner be an extremly bad idea due to limiting the ability to compensate for increasing battery requirements when running at full power?

Given anything above a Cortex A8, ignoring the Cortex A7 which shouldn't really count, is going to tend to have a higher draw under load wouldn't thinner be an extremly bad idea due to limiting the ability to compensate for increasing battery requirements when running at full power?

The perf/W of the SoC will probably be better than Pandora's, so I guess it probably depends on how much people need to stress it, and if they're comfortable with any reduction in battery life. I personally don't feel like I need anything like 10 hours of full load, but that's just me and I know a lot of people feel otherwise.

Of course that's also assuming that the battery dimensions won't change in some other way to compensate.. that while being thinner it isn't always higher in surface area (due to either extending out to cover more of the unit's base or the base simply being bigger in either dimension)

@Fusion Power, that looks really great!

But I would definently get the bom boxes out of the lid and probably down the curved parts that holds the lid(where the leds are).

The screen must always be the maximum size of the whole case.
Thanks. Remember, this was a P1 design. Everything was around the Pandora 1 specs, size and form, and P1 has the Speakers on that place. P2 would be a completely different thing of course. :)

If we could get it down to 2/3 of the current Pandora's girth - I'd give up half the battery life, the video out port, the dedicated charging port, NAND, internal SD/microSD (keep 2 ext full size, req boot from one), the volume wheel, the on/off/standby switch, the top 2/3 of the nubs and the top 2/3 of the key tops.

Give up half the battery life - 10 hours is great and all, but if you could get 2.5 hours each from slim batteries and have the Pandora 'hold' up to 2 at a time - and allow for swapping them while running... Buy 2 more = 10 hours done.

Give up the video out port - USB 3.0 connected video at 1080p is not only a reality, it is becoming common.

Give up the dedicated charging port - easy. High charge draw over USB has become common. USB 3.0 spec is for 1A isn't it?

We don't need NAND or an 3rd card slot (of any kind) so long as we have two full sized SD slots somewhere on the system.

The physical volume wheel can go away -IF we can make the audio jack 'intelligent' and compatible with the remote-on-wire headphones on the market today.

The on/off/standby switch can go too. We would need some hidden button or button combination to 'hard reset' the device, but otherwise - lid switch goes to standby (user changeable) and a reset key/combination and done.

The top 2/3 of the nubs and keys are just plastic - not function. I could see the nubs even going semi-recessed.

Make it thin - nobody is in any danger of 'cutting themselves' on a Pandora 2/3 the size of the current one.

If we could get it down to 2/3 of the current Pandora's girth - I'd give up half the battery life, the video out port, the dedicated charging port, NAND, internal SD/microSD (keep 2 ext full size, req boot from one), the volume wheel, the on/off/standby switch, the top 2/3 of the nubs and the top 2/3 of the key tops.
So You personally insist on twin SDXC slots, but want to jettison everything else?

Give up half the battery life - 10 hours is great and all, but if you could get 2.5 hours each from slim batteries and have the Pandora 'hold' up to 2 at a time - and allow for swapping them while running... Buy 2 more = 10 hours done.
No, thank you. I like long battery lives! Although having two batteries has something to be said for it, but would make the P2 thicker, not thinner

Give up the video out port - USB 3.0 connected video at 1080p is not only a reality, it is becoming common.
daft - see the connectors thread for explanation

Give up the dedicated charging port - easy. High charge draw over USB has become common. USB 3.0 spec is for 1A isn't it?
possible - but don't use microUSB - its too fragile

We don't need NAND or an 3rd card slot (of any kind) so long as we have two full sized SD slots somewhere on the system.
debatable - should probably not be discussed atm

The physical volume wheel can go away -IF we can make the audio jack 'intelligent' and compatible with the remote-on-wire headphones on the market today.
not for me. I don't want to be restricted in earphone choice.

The on/off/standby switch can go too. We would need some hidden button or button combination to 'hard reset' the device, but otherwise - lid switch goes to standby (user changeable) and a reset key/combination and done.
A hidden button would be just the same as a power switch wouldn't it?

I could see the nubs even going semi-recessed.
How would that help

Make it thin - nobody is in any danger of 'cutting themselves' on a Pandora 2/3 the size of the current one.
no don't but no they aren't

the number of things the OP cand do will increase with more ram and more cores.

Its a shame you can't really do much with the plastics, its a bit too thick. It'd be nice if there were aluminum cases but egad the expense.

Excellent design... I hate the idea of the speakers taking up so much damn space. the screen should be 90% screen with a raised edge.. Speakers could easily be on the side.

I wonder what the space to the left and right of the number keys on the iCP2 might be for? :)

Thus wouldn't you like the whole top to just be be one huge screen?

I wonder what the space to the left and right of the number keys on the iCP2 might be for? :)

One huge screen makes sense and it still retains its portability.Sounds like a smart move.

The rainbow pony generators? :rolleyes:

Good plan though - this kind of thing gives me faith in the P2's awesomeness

Yes please. Thank you.

Ignoring the non-functional keyboard :) , the Razer Switchblade form factor is pretty nice.  P2's form factor and build are similar to this would be nice, me thinks.

EOYkCWl.png

chqtFMo.png

xmtmxCt.png

6dp75FT.png

IAV5V7r.png

EUHV3kf.png

How long did it take to find a 14 month old post to reply to on the subject?

I can't tell the dimensions - is that thing huge or does that person have really small hands?

My version of the dimension restriction:  It has to fit into a men's dress shirt pocket so I can have some place to put it during long flights.

The Pandora does this - barely.  It would be nice if it were a touch thinner (Z thickness).  Increasing the X dimension (width) a bit would be fine.  Increasing the Y dimension (front to back) - that is problematic.  It could be done a bit IF the thickness decreases.  At that point it comes down to the cross sectional area of the Y and Z dimensions.

I don't thnk "men's dress shirt pocket" is a fair restriction. How well does the 1st one fit in non-skinny jeans front pockets?

Back