• Pandora's thickness is comfortable, keep it similar for Pandora 2

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • It's too thick, make it thinner if you can

Votes: 32 35.6%
  • Either is fine

Votes: 37 41.1%

• Total voters

Exophase

Nothing good will ever come of Exophase.
Another poll we can all argue over! Motivated by this post by _wb_: http://boards.openpa...200#entry173079

I've long been under the impression that people would generally prefer a thinner Pandora, but my impressions have a way of being totally wrong, so let's how this turns out.

Note: _wb_ originally commented that making the top part (screen) thinner would be okay. I personally doubt it can be made significantly thinner, and until anyone provides evidence to the contrary I'm going to stick with this assumption. So for the sake of the poll take it to mean the thickness of the entire unit, with the top part being about the same thickness as the current Pandora's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree with Caine, the thickness is great right now with Pandora 2. A small device would hurt my almost-big-hands. Even the Xbox 360 controller is somehow "small" to me, why everyone loves small tech? :(

That reminds me of the penny-arcade comics about the original xbox controller

215161632_vH4R5-L-2.jpg

comic.gif

It probably will be a bit thinner.

The goal is to use ever last inch of the unit and have no 'dead space'. So while it may be smaller it will seem bigger in terms of use of space. Does that make any sense? I'm tired :)

Current thickness is fine, though something a bit thinner might fit in my pockets better, and distribute any heat produced at a much faster rate (Since we're looking at a >=1 GHz. device with about 2 GB of RAM).

Edit: Got the numbers for the specs from Craig saying that the new Pandora is going to use Android as a main optional OS, which most smart phones that use it have around 1 to 1.5 gigs of RAM.

It probably will be a bit thinner.

The goal is to use ever last inch of the unit and have no 'dead space'. So while it may be smaller it will seem bigger in terms of use of space. Does that make any sense? I'm tired :)
There is a ton of "dead space" under the back part, beneath the battery holder. I'm extremely tempted to throw a hack or something into that space.

instead of rounding off the screen half corners, round off where the palms go on the lower half by the < and the Fn key. thickness is no problem

With the right design, you can make a thinner looking Case, "cut the corners", I would say. :) Just remove the "Brickness" of the Pandora should help alot, I'm working on my very own little design, based on the same size like P1 but a little bit thinner. P1 was around 27.5mm thick, I play around with 21-23mm thickness overall. Still alot of space for all the guts but more streamline. :)

Very early progress:

(Yes, the desin allows 4 Shoulder buttons for all 3 PSX games that would need them. :D )

(Yes, the desin allows 4 Shoulder buttons for all 3 PSX games that would need them. :D )
There are way more applications for 4 shoulder buttons than those 3 PSX games. E.g. dual analog shooters would benefit greatly from having extra buttons available, thumb typing is a lot easier if all modifiers are placed on the back (Fn, Ctrl, Alt, Shift), etc.

I would love to see the P2 to become thinner, having said that, i wouldnt mind if the P2 becomes a bit wider, to fit a bigger screen.

I think the top part may be thinner. The fact that craig said that the screen will be somewhat suited for android touch based software leads me to think that the p2 may be able to lock at 180 degrees and be flat like a tablet for touchscreen usage.

If we can get 4GB or even 8GB chips we will use them.

Why? Simply to have the most costly in it and argueable argument in your advertisement, or is there some actual application in vision that would justify this? I mean, if it makes no real difference in price then yeah, go for it. But I imagine, that 8GB will make some difference to 2GB in terms of price whereas I can scarcely see apps benefiting from it. I do all my stuff here work with way less than 4GB - so unless we want to have multiple VMs running - why waste money?

The whole 8GB memory thing has been hashed out at length so far in other threads.. you're welcome to start a new thread for it but don't get my poll closed by the new mods please :p

A bit thinner, but will four shoulder buttons fit well? (I mean L1, L2, R1 & R2)

With the right design, you can make a thinner looking Case, "cut the corners", I would say. :) Just remove the "Brickness" of the Pandora should help alot,

You can always employ this trick:

http://boards.openpa..._60#entry160006

Horizontal bands can often make things look flater
Exactly. :) My Idea was to have some dark, rubberized surface on the inner parts with rubberized side bands in between the chrome (metal?) lid and the bottom of the main case, also chrome.

I once made such a Design for Pandora 1 but with 2 "bands", each for case and lid, pure fantasy of course, just for fun. :D

A bit thinner, but will four shoulder buttons fit well? (I mean L1, L2, R1 & R2)
No problem, one button (L1+R1) would be on the sloped shoulder part, another, smaller one (L2+R2) side by side, right under the hinge part in my sketch. :)

Back