pandian - 01

so i finally downloaded the image, dd'ed it over and somehow:

it wont boot. searching for the problem i figured that:

partition 1 holds a malformed ext2 (instead of fat32) fs that cannot be accessed.

i do believe its my fault (it's late and im exhausted...) and will try again.

did someone actually dd and test this image?

weirdness...

i just used the same dd command line again and now it works.

awesome. will totally play around with this trying to get libpnd to run. happy times! :)

weirdness...

i just used the same dd command line again and now it works.

awesome. will totally play around with this trying to get libpnd to run. happy times! :)
Ah, i try it with bs=4M, ive got the same problem, was totatly unable to boot.

Without bs, dd uses 512 ( the normal block-size of an sd-card ) with that, its working. I will update my documentation :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah well, if you get libpnd to run, let me know :) would be nice to build an debian package for it.
Actually, the kernel on pandian, and the configuration files are an debian package. I do this, to provide an easy update for pandian. Yes, .. you're right, i have already setup an debian-repository to play around with it :)

cd /root/pandora-libraries/

make deploy
   cd deployment
   mkdir install/

rm usr/lib/libpnd.so
   rm usr/lib/libpnd.so.1
   ln -s /usr/lib/libpnd.so.1.* usr/lib/libpnd.so
   ln -s /usr/lib/libpnd.so.1.* usr/lib/libpnd.so.1

linux special wisdom and tactics :)

im off to bed, but i will so do this tomorrow!

cd /root/pandora-libraries/

make deploy

cd deployment

mkdir install/

rm usr/lib/libpnd.so

rm usr/lib/libpnd.so.1

ln -s /usr/lib/libpnd.so.1.* usr/lib/libpnd.so

ln -s /usr/lib/libpnd.so.1.* usr/lib/libpnd.so.1
Thank you Linux-SWAT for this fast and easy reply :)

As i told you a long time ago, many answers are in my build system.

forgot:

Ho i can't copy git links !!

Downloaded.  Note that on Debian Wheezy there was no "resizepart" command in parted, but gparted took care of resizing

the partition+filesystem and creating the swap partition.  It booted fine.

I took French in school, so I need a little mercy here. :)  What's the easiest way to navigate the (German) menus and tell the system to switch to English?

Thanks for this very promising avenue to Debian!

Downloaded.  Note that on Debian Wheezy there was no "resizepart" command in parted, but gparted took care of resizing

I took French in school, so I need a little mercy here. :)  What's the easiest way to navigate the (German) menus and tell the system to switch to English?

Can you take some screenshots ? :)

Can you take some screenshots ? :)
Hmmm, if I could navigate the menus enough to do that, I wouldn't need the help!

Anyway, I found an lxterminal, got that running, su'ed to root, and did a "dpkg-reconfigure locales".

In the first scrolled menu I found an entry already checked for a DE locale, and kept going until I

could also checkmark en_US.UTF-8.  Then tabbed to OK and hit enter.  Now it seemed to be asking

which was the default locale, so I moved to to the en_US one and tabbed to OK and hit enter again.

It told me it was compiling the locales, and eventually finished and returned to the shell prompt.

I rebooted and now my system speaks in my native language.

The "reboot" command hung at the Pandora logo.  But aside from that this Debian environment is

working perfectly.  I've got ssh client/server, the usual CLI stuff, it's such a treat to have a completely

vanilla Debian install running!  How did you set up your cross compilation toolchain?  Although with the

Debian repos available it isn't a very pressing issue.

Andy

I will update my documentation :)
also some doc about /usr/pandian/scripts could prove handy...

Anyway, I found an lxterminal, got that running, su'ed to root, and did a "dpkg-reconfigure locales".
if you add a new user and login the first time, it will ask you which locale to use.

talking about new users:

you prolly dont want "pandian" to autologin, so change /etc/slim.conf accordingly...

Thanks for information ;) i will notice that also in the documentation.

Of course there is much more to do. I think i need to change the default language to english ^^° during the testing i missed this

Also to everybody out there, please post some package you would like to see as default in the next version.

Something about cross-compiler:

I spend lots of nights and days to get an working cross-compiler.

I've got one, with eglibc, building from bare metal ( yes i know that much toolchains are out there, but thats helps me not to unterstand how to build this beast )

Also the common "hello-world" program compiled correctly and running on the pandora.

The only not working thing: compiling the kernel... u-boot loads the uImage and hangs with black screen. After days with google, coffee and tons of different configurations of the cross compiler toolchain, i stop working on it ( it was taking to much if my time, and there is to much to do out there :) )

So at last, i take the emdebian cross-compiler and kernel kompilation worked >.>

Autologin:

Okay ;) i just do this to start the autostart.desktop to run the lxterminal for setup locales and tzdata, but you are right. Its not really necessary. It was quick and dirty ;)

Documentation:

Yep, planned is also an zim-wiki for documentation placed on the pandora for some basic steps. 

Are you two talking about cross-compiler for compiling on debian pandora for armstrong pandora? Or for compiling on debian pandora for debian pandora?

Are you two talking about cross-compiler for compiling on debian pandora for armstrong pandora? Or for compiling on debian pandora for debian pandora?
I'am talking about an cross-compiler running on x86_64 and compiling for arm hard-float

I'am talking about an cross-compiler running on x86_64 and compiling for arm hard-float
Is emdebian your primary cross-tool chain?  Can you list which packages you use?  How did you populate your cross build environment with -dev headers/libs for the armh target?  If I shadow your normal build environment as closely as possibly it seems like there's less possibility of wasting my time.  Thanks again!

Is emdebian your primary cross-tool chain?  Can you list which packages you use?  How did you populate your cross build environment with -dev headers/libs for the armh target?  If I shadow your normal build environment as closely as possibly it seems like there's less possibility of wasting my time.  Thanks again!
Jep, the emdebian is my main cross-tool-chain BUT only for the kernel. Development i do inside an arm chrooted environment ( you can even use directly the image ;) ) or i do it directly on the pandora.

Well for my first cross-compiler-creations i used the documentation which shipped with eglibc. That was working realy nice, but as i mentioned before, not for the kernel ( i even dont know why ). But hello word and other g++ apps compiled nicely.

Where to place the headers and libs of the target you can find out with

arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc -v

something like that will be shown:

--includedir=/usr/arm-linux-gnueabihf/include --with-headers=/usr/arm-linux-gnueabihf/include --with-libs=/usr/arm-linux-gnueabihf/lib

means headers will be find in /usr/arm-linux-gnueabihf/include and libs in /usr/arm-linux-gnueabihf/lib

( but remember this libs are for the target )

ive been trying to get bluetooth working. no luck so far. it just wont recognize the device.

Back