Panda-Usb.com - Pandora Tested Usb Accessories

Yeah I get the mobile version of the site directly,
using Android, allthough I hate the auto switch to mobile versions depending on the website.
For example youtube, the mobile version just don´t gives me all the options I have in the full version site...
(Especially if you are browsing with an display monster handy like the X10)
But your mobile vesion seems fine

thanks for that.

yea it just leaves out the right-hand panel really. And there's an option on the left hand side to switch back to the full version (I hate it when sites don't give you the option!)

Pleng said:
OK she's going to test some cams later. Also eyeing up a very nice set of portable speakers. Can anybody recommend some tools for testing cams? Is there any software that supports cams yet?
Cheese is probably the best tool for testing cams. Sure it's already been ported to the Pandora? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So.. in order to enter the contest: do I actually have to buy something or is ist possible to just enter via paypal donation? :) Good luck with your shop! Bit risky for me to order something, cause I live in europe... :eek:

Pleng said:
Additionally. The site should be configured to select default currencies of USD for American Visitors, UKP for British visitors, EUR for those in the Eurozone, and THB for those in Thailand. Would people be kind enough to confirm that this is the case?
This works for me. (I'm using the current version of Firefox, and I'm currently accessing the site from my Macintosh, if any more info is necessary. :p)

Pleng said:
Additionally. The site should be configured to select default currencies of USD for American Visitors, UKP for British visitors, EUR for those in the Eurozone, and THB for those in Thailand. Would people be kind enough to confirm that this is the case?
Works for me too, in the USA.

Defo said:
Pleng said:
Works for me too, in the USA.
I'm in the U.K and got the correct prices etc. :)

Nupfi said:
So.. in order to enter the contest: do I actually have to buy something or is ist possible to just enter via paypal donation? :) Good luck with your shop! Bit risky for me to order something, cause I live in europe... :eek:

As a business she can't be accepting donation's I'm afraid, certainly not for entry into a competition. When selling via e-bay she's sent many things to Europe, and indeed most of the current entrants are also from Europe, so there shouldn't be a huge problem. If you have any specific concerns feel free to PM

Tripmonkey_uk said:
Cheese is probably the best tool for testing cams. Sure it's already been ported to the Pandora? :)

Aha yes I thought of that eventually. There's no PND for it but opkg installed it without too much trouble.
Regardng webcams, the guy who was supposed to be bringing some over for testing got flooded in (well he lives on a hill but the access roads were flooded) due to a big rain storm last night (we were stranded in a restaurant for a few hours - not the worst place to get stuck by any means!). It's still raining now, though much lighter, so hopefully we can get something sorted today.

Thanks to everybody for your feedback on how the site is working. Good news :)

OK webcam testing so far has been pretty disappointing, I'm afraid.

I'm quite surprised actually, even the 'driverless' ones don't appear to work. They are recognised by the OS, and cheese connects to them, but a blank screen is displayed. Mplayer just gives a 'no such driver: v412' error :(

Looks like I might need to try and hunt down some logitech devices then and see if I can find them at a reasonable price.

Also somebody mentioned USB modems. That's a possibility, but may not happen before the compo ends, as the wholesaler for those is faaaaaar from here!

Pleng, I'm abit awash in USB devices, (might be interested in a USB camera if you get one working...but probably not before the contest ends,) but wanted to wish your friend luck with her store, and to state that I was impressed by your reaction to the criticism on the unofficial blog. You acknowledged they had valid points while not blowing up about the language.

Cheers and luck!

Pleng said:
Mplayer just gives a 'no such driver: v412' error :(
That's supposed to be an 'l' (elle) not a '1' (one): vee four elle two. Video For Linux 2.
mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:width=320:height=240:device=/dev/video0

edit: fixed the resolution. 320x240 works better than 640x480.

WizardStan said:
Pleng said:
Mplayer just gives a 'no such driver: v412' error :(
That's supposed to be an 'l' (elle) not a '1' (one): vee four elle two. Video For Linux 2.
mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:width=320:height=240:device=/dev/video0

edit: fixed the resolution. 320x240 works better than 640x480.

ahhh crap. OK, I'm gonna go take another trip :) see you laters!

wardred: thanks for your kind comments - and trust me I know how it feels to be swimming in USB devices. It's so sad that most of them don't work with Pandora :(

Still having problems with webcams, but have moved discussion to the software hacking thread as it seems more appropriate. In the meantime, we now have a wireless mouse available.

Pleng, have you come across one of these? It's an excellent-quality little thing, and has worked with Ubuntu since at least 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon), and works in every Linux distro I've thrown it at. It may be worth a look. (Alas, mine is missing, or else I'd test it.)

I haven't got access to that model in particular but I'd be highly surprised if at least some of the models we've been trying aren't essentially the same chips in different packages.

It is possible that it's just a matter of playing around with mPlayer a bit more to try and get an image on screen. Cheese doesn't appear to be working for anything. I tried both Cheese and Mplayer with my phone's built-in webcam. Cheese displayed its usual blank screen, but Mplayer actually gave me an image.

Back to the wholesalers tomorrow :)

I just found the USB ID (gotten via lsusb) for the thing in one of my old posts. :lol: Here: eb1a:2571 eMPIA Technology, Inc. . That should tell you if they're the same chips or not.

there should be a linux compatability list for webcams out there... I'm sure I've seen it... haven't googled for that in quite some time since I have one that works (and the one built into all of the laptops I've been through work as well by default) but if I find that list, I'll post it here, otherwise, I'd suggest googling for that to see what you come up with. May help your progress a bit. I'd consider looking that up for any type of device you consider adding to the store (to eliminate the trial/error headache of just testing what you get your hands on) and you should be able to just contact your suppliers to see if they have this brand, that model, etc and narrow your requests down as well as making your efforts more efficient. This searching might also help in finding out what is missing for the chipsets you ARE having issue with if they are at all linux compatible yet. The key is to make sure it's linux compatible before even worrying about it being Pandora compatible... I'm sure you could discuss something of that nature to your suppliers as well (maybe drop them a live disk of Ubuntu, Unity Linux or something else out there to pop into their own computers and test a few of their devices on (if none of them already use linux)... keep us posted though! :D

Drop my suppliers a live disk of Ubuntu? hehe. Doesn't really work that way out here I'm afraid :D

Anyway....(drum-roll....) WEBCAMS <-- no hub needed :D

(and yes, this is one of the many cams I tested several times and yes,it was my own stupidity/ignorance that led to me being disappointed with them not working!)

Back