Panda-Usb.com - Pandora Tested Usb Accessories

Pleng

So I finally got to bring my Pandora to Thailand and, as I suspected might be the case, people round here absolutely love it.

A very good friend of mine, who from time to time sells bits and bobs (including computer gadgets) on ebay was so taken with it that she asked me if I would be able to design a website for her to sell accessories for the Pandora. I thought this was a nice enough idea and after kicking some ideas about we decided to start working on said site.

One of the ideas we decided to go with was to expand the site to cover devices that are compatible with Ubuntu x86, on a 'just-in-case basis'. She doesn't intend to list any items that are compatible with Ubuntu x86 but NOT Pandora on the site at this time, but it's something she can fall back on if this (or the Pandora itself) doesn't go as well as hoped.

Another idea, this one down to me, to really try and give the business a decent kick start, was to donate my current Pandora for use in a prize draw. And so here it is, the chance to win my Pandora for anybody spending over 10GBP/10EUR/15USD or 500THB (before shipping) at panda-usb.com (if you're browsing from your Pandora you might want to use the mobile version of the site at mobile.panda-usb.com) before September 16th. I have, of course, ordered a unit from the second batch, so I hopefully won't be without a Pandora for too long!

The unit isn't in perfect condition. It came from the factory with some blemishes on the top of the unit, and has also developed a small crack in the top right hand corner, but it is fully working. Pictures of the unit can be found on the website.

From now the unit will not be used, except for the purposes of testing devices for compatibility. For this purpose we have a USB extender cable permanently connected to the unit to avoid wear and tear on the USB port.

10GBP/10EUR

thats not fair :D

I already have a pandora or at least sent mine back and expect a new/fixed one back soonish so Im not going to be in this raffle, good luck to your friend though.

@bobs ha no it's not completely fair but it's close enough! Exchange rates are bouncing around all the time so we had to come up with some reasonably close amounts at opening of the competition. And yes, my friend does look quite good :p (or was that a typo..?)

@tsh she currently does not have any wifi adapters at all as far as I'm aware but she'll certainly be keeping a look out next time she visits the wholesalers.

Pleng said:
@bobs ha no it's not completely fair but it's close enough! Exchange rates are bouncing around all the time so we had to come up with some reasonably close amounts at opening of the competition. And yes, my friend does look quite good :p (or was that a typo..?)

Haha Yup a typo

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting site and competition... at first glance, I'd say the inventory is too light for me to find anything worthwhile... I'd suggest thowing in wifi (like mentioned above), SD cards, webcams, wireless keyboards & mice (or combo all-in-one sets), any wireless periph you can get your hands on, game controllers, and anything else to flesh out the inventory (also, hit the boards to see if anyone is working on, might be interested in, or already have nearly completed pandora-specific accessories aside from what OP is offering. This little store idea could spark up some custom hardware work that wasn't quite expected... just gotta put the bug in the right ears to start a revolution. :D

Thanks for your feedback CPU. We're aware the inventory is a little skinny at the present time. At the moment she's going through the process of checking everything she has for compatibility. You'd be amazed at the amount of 'USB 2' hubs that really aren't usb 2!

Tomorrow she's testing some game pads, though I'm not sure if there's any Pandora software that currently supports USB controllers yet, is there? I know she has also had webcams in the past and will hopefully get some in stock soon. Keyboards could be a problem as all the ones here have the Thai layout - which is essentially the US layout but with all the Thai alphabet markings on them. Still, we'll see what we can do.

I'm, hearing you on FM with regards to the wireless too. I've been to the wholesalers on previous visits here and they have lots of wireless gadgets, so I'll feedback to her to lookout for them.

SD cards are just not cheap out here so it would be difficult for her to be competitive in that regard. Plus there's the problem of fake cards which could well crop up.

And of course we'd be delighted if there were any Pandora-specific custom hardware. I will certainly keep an eye out on the forums and if anybody does have anything on the go that I've missed then please give me a buzz.

She has a twitter feed too, so any new products will be announced on there.

Pleng said:
Tomorrow she's testing some game pads, though I'm not sure if there's any Pandora software that currently supports USB controllers yet, is there?
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure that MAME 0.106 should. I'll test it when I've got a minute, if you'd like. :)

Plus there's the problem of fake cards which could well crop up.
Major respect for keeping this in mind.
grin.gif

no sdhc on the hub? :huh: I'm finding it hard to find enough things to spend $15 on unless I buy multiples. When will you have some new stuff available?

Prometheus said:
Pleng said:
Tomorrow she's testing some game pads, though I'm not sure if there's any Pandora software that currently supports USB controllers yet, is there?
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure that MAME 0.106 should. I'll test it when I've got a minute, if you'd like. :)

Ah that would be great if you wouldn't mind!

Plus there's the problem of fake cards which could well crop up.
Major respect for keeping this in mind.
grin.gif

Well this is definitely a business idea, rather than a community project, but that doesn't mean you can't have some kind of moral guidelines to follow. :)

@Monkey, keep checking back (or follow us on twitter), she hopes to have a few new products over the next couple of days.

I totally agree that it's a big bummer about the lack of SDHC on the card reader.

Pleng said:
Anything using SDL for input has the potential for using USB controllers already, although it's a matter of the app in question supporting this as reading joysticks requires more code than just using the keyboard and game buttons.

Prometheus said:
I'd be interested to hear if it works, too. It's an SDL build, so it should support pretty much anything as far as input devices go.

see if you can get these and test/sell them:
http://www.startech.com/item/USB2VGAPRO-Professional-USB-VGA-External-Dual-or-Multi-Monitor-Video-Adapter.aspx
http://www.amazon.com/BT-Q1300S-Keychain-Bluetooth-waypoints-Software/dp/B001EV2IY0/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279122750&sr=8-25

or similar items of course. :D

Pleng said:
Ah that would be great if you wouldn't mind!
I don't mind at all. :D I don't have my Pandora to hand right this minute, but as soon as I do, I'll test it.

SteveM said:
I'd be interested to hear if it works, too. It's an SDL build, so it should support pretty much anything as far as input devices go.
I'm just as interested as you are. :lol: I'll let you know.

EDIT: I just tried it. To my great surprise, it didn't work, unfortunately.

a nice universal option on the software side of game controller usage would be for someone to port over qjoypad (right now that is the only joypad/joystick mapper I have found that seems to be fairly universal)... if I find any others worth mentioning, I'll drop a line about them... but it should, in theory, allow you to map a usb joypad/joystick/arcade stick to the pandora button configs for the onboard controller as well as keyboard mapping (which most multiplayer games (let alone most games in general on Pandora) should internally support)

ADDITIONAL:

- inpututils looks like a good piece of software for game controller testing

- xboxdrv looks like a driver specific to running xbox controllers (probably geared toward 360) on linux, might be a good thing to port as well...

- rejoystick looks interesting too...

...but I digress...

We're running a little off-topic here, CPU - I was just mentioning the above as a means to test suitable merchandise. ;)

Wow, a contest like that is a great way to drum up business.

I might pick up the multi charging cable as I have a nintendo ds, pandora, and iphone ... can they charge simultaneously?

Hmm I wouldn't imagine that they can charge simultaneously, as the a USB port is only designed to provide 5v. If you're frequently managing to run out your Pandora, iPhone AND DS battery at the same time... well that's pretty hardcore! :)

I noticed, Prometheus... which is why I noted that I digressed :p

wasn't completely off-topic though, as I was just noting software that would make it easier to add inventory to the site mentioned in the thread... but it is stretching the limits a bit, I know :D

Hmm, if she doesn't have much to sell before the deadline she might as well sell something to fill an order like candy from Thailand or something. A webcam would be nice also.

I second the sweets idea, that tends to get me to spend money on random things. You could look into cases and styli, and considering the Pandora has a spot to add a lanyard specific normally keychain items could be offered to dangle from little black boxes.

Back