Over 2 years since I paid for a Pandora - Should I cancel?

is it still relevant with the way smart phones have developed since 2009?

Very much so! Although it really depends what you want it to be relevant for. Browsing the web/email would be no. Gaming, emulation, learning and general awesomeness: yes!
And a pocket-sized replacement for a notebook, too.

... No, not the stupid name for a laptop computer - an actual notebook, of the papery variety. :p Rather than only being able to scribble a couple of quick notes for later, you can write out entire documents (or chapters, in my case :p ) right there, instead. Much more efficient!

Is it still relevant?

It runs real Linux, it has (good) built in gaming controls, it has a keyboard, It has some 1st class, optimized emulator ports, it has full USB host, its not full of spyware. If thats what you want, the Pandora is unique.
You know what, that is EXACTLY what I want!

Stuart, you seem to have already made up your mind and stick with your order. Good choice!

I was a firstday pre-orderer and received my Pandora in february last year, so I waited almost 2,5 years for it. Last december I needed a new phone and bought a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. The two devices have absolutely nothing in common. Totally different machines. You can't even begin to compare.

I'm hoping to enjoy the Pandora for years to come. And when it finally breaks down, I really hope I'm able to buy a new one. Even if it has the same specs as the current generation. It does exactly what I wanted it to do, and from what you've been saying, it will do exactly what you want it to do.

Very much so! Although it really depends what you want it to be relevant for. Browsing the web/email would be no. Gaming, emulation, learning and general awesomeness: yes!

... No, not the stupid name for a laptop computer - an actual notebook, of the papery variety. :p Rather than only being able to scribble a couple of quick notes for later, you can write out entire documents (or chapters, in my case :p ) right there, instead. Much more efficient!
Siri's quite good at that :p

Siri's quite good at that, as long as you use RP, and use simple English words when classical circumlocutions will suffice.
FTFY :)

Yes, damnyousiri.org is already inoperation!

Last edited by a moderator:

Siri's quite good at that :p
I'm not really sure what Siri is (I've heard the name and been told about some website about the errors it makes, but that's about it), but I should clarify that I'm talking about text-editors for writing novels with...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really sure what Siri is (I've heard the name and been told about some website about the errors it makes, but that's about it), but I should clarify that I'm talking about text-editors for writing novels with...

I think the idea is that apple are too cool for real keyboards, so overpriced robotic dictation apps make up for the shortcoming...or something?

It's very simple. If you liked the Pandora back then, you will still like it now. Yes the soc might be getting dated already, but its just not an issue. There is no machine like it.

There really is no machine like it, and I wouldn't call it out-dated at all.

Looking at the way the software and scene has developed since I last spent time here and hearing the awesome enthusiasm on this thread has rekindled my excitment!

Looking at the way the software and scene are developing and hearing the awesome enthusiasm on this thread has rekindled my excitement!
FTFY

There's some great software just around the corner, and a whole bunch of Pandoras being shipped to more potential developers right now :D

I think the idea is that apple are too cool for real keyboards, so overpriced robotic dictation apps make up for the shortcoming...or something?

for them button sucks, they've already made mouses with half less buttons in the past, now they try to make computer without keyboards... that's called progress...

But what IS Siri...?

Speech to text thingie with some AI and it responds back with a funny sounding speech synthesizer. It takes voice commands for opening stuff, composing texts etc... And you can imagine how well it works if you don't want to speak english :)

So, for note-taking, you would have to read it up while telling Siri to listen. Not really suitable for places with a lot of noise or public spaces.

Its primary use seems to be eating up your bandwidth, since it, afaik, doesn't do the processing on the phone itself.

Back