Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pandora...not what I expected but it's a cool name :) Some will like it. Some wont. But you _cant_ make everyone happy.

fusion_power said:
Thats a Joke, right? :huh: I mean, this things real Names isn't "PANDORA" ?!?!?! Please not. Sounds cool first but sadly pandora is an word for a very very bad thing. ^^"""
I'm not big on myths, but cecking the Wikipedia article, it would seem that the notion that Pandora was "bad" is a literary construction added later (albeit still by a Greek writer) than the original myths portrayed on ancient pottery and such. Originally Pandora seems to have been seen as "the giver of all gifts". As such, if the Wiki article is accurate on the origins of the name, I think the name is rather good for this handheld.

It also creates a connection of sorts to the first "female" computer, the Amiga, giving some weight to the development team's stated intention of creating a handheld as revolutionary to the handheld market of today as the Amiga was to the computer market when it was first released in the mid 80's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orkie said:
EvilDragon said:
I think we started to work on the handheld... February? Something like this.
I have logs going back to last December about it :). Maybe we will finally get the developer models soon...

I remember talking about it last September, but we didn't get anything to play with until this February, if I remember correctly.

fusion_power said:
Thats a Joke, right? :huh: I mean, this things real Names isn't "PANDORA" ?!?!?! Please not. Sounds cool first but sadly pandora is an word for a very very bad thing. ^^"""
Only if the system uses BusyBox, BlackBox or Fluxbox.

(please no busybox, I hate that shell)

Edit: Perhaps this thread should be renamed and moved.

atomicthumbs said:

Clearly, you have no idea what BusyBox is. It isn't a shell at all, but a complete suite of command line utilities (including *several* shells) for embedded systems. You can boot a useful system that just has a kernel and statically linked BusyBox. It is a wonderful piece of software.

I like the name...especially if I can tell everyone I'm holding Pandoras "box" :p ...

Now what application names can we come up with:

Pandora's Goodies = Utilitys
Pandora's Hotbox = MP3 player?
Unleashed = hmm FPS...
..ok enough of that...

Orkie said:
atomicthumbs said:

Clearly, you have no idea what BusyBox is. It isn't a shell at all, but a complete suite of command line utilities (including *several* shells) for embedded systems. You can boot a useful system that just has a kernel and statically linked BusyBox. It is a wonderful piece of software.

I like the concept of Busybox, but it has negative associations due to the fact that my DD-WRT uses only the BusyBox built-in crapshell (not bash).

atomicthumbs said:
I like the concept of Busybox, but it has negative associations due to the fact that my DD-WRT uses only the BusyBox built-in crapshell (not bash).
Look, please shut up - you're making yourself sound stupid.

Just hope they won't copy the design form here
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/pandoras-box
228264.jpe

Still a handheld though...

Orkie said:
atomicthumbs said:
Look, please shut up - you're making yourself sound stupid.

Upon a bit of investigation, it's BusyBox's ash shell I hate. Busybox is cleared. It was negative association - I know what BusyBox is and how useful it is, but I hated the ash shell that my router's version of BusyBox used.

I once knew a girl called Pandora. Never got to see her box though... :unsure:

atomicthumbs said:
Upon a bit of investigation, it's BusyBox's ash shell I hate. Busybox is cleared. It was negative association - I know what BusyBox is and how useful it is, but I hated the ash shell that my router's version of BusyBox used.
What exactly were you doing that meant you needed anything more sophisticated than ash on your router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back