Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Viking said:
The more buttons, THE BETTER!
cadbury_buttons_wrapper.jpg

:ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Viking said:
No offense, but I really hope CraigiX isn't listening to most of those design ideas around here.
Those button overloaded designs which seem to have the input controllers placed almost at random and with no real though about ergonomy nor overall design at all totally suck (monkey balls).

Julius said:
No offense [...] the input controllers placed almost at random and with no real though about ergonomy nor overall design at all totally suck (monkey balls).

Ouch, how exactly would you have phrased that if you WERE trying to be offensive? :blink:

I do appreciate any and all feedback, but do you have any constructive suggestions for improvement?

I tried to place controls based on where my thumbs and fingers naturally lie when holding a GP2X comfortably... my thumbs cover arcs on the top half of the device, so that's where I tried to position the primary controls. I also think the PSX Dualshock is an excellent dual-analog design and tried to emulate that somewhat.

As for the "button overloaded design", well, aside from the dual-analogs (which are specified) the "non-symmetrical" version has the same number of buttons as the GP2X, with the exception of the dual shoulders, but that was really just an experiment, I think it's been established the actual design will probably only have single shoulders.

As for ergonomics, the design is the same basic dimensions as the PSP, and while it is rectangular, so is the GP2X and I've never found that uncomfortable.

I can try moving the controls down a bit (but I don't want to move the sticks down too far, I think the closer to the bottom the less comfortable it will be), or I can making the design wider, to allow the primary controls to be placed more beside each other and less stacked vertically.

I think he pretty much phrased that as offensive as he could :D

Also no offense here, but I think it's probably best if he never comes close to a modern gamepad, smart phone or a psp. His brain might overload from all the buttons ;)

That said I would be happy with just two shoulder buttons, a dpad and 6 buttons. I don't care much about N64 or even PS1 emulation but a lot of other people do.

Viking said:
If we are to go by what we know with reasonable certainty will be possible on the new machine, I'd say we only need two additional buttons (preferably shoulder buttons but that's just My Humble Opinion) over the existing action buttons, making a total of 10 buttons in a comfortable configuration for PSX emulation. I've never used analog controls in a PSX game myself, that's not to say analogs shouldn't be included but that also means two more buttons (stick-clicks) must be implemented to complete the Dualshock-alike layout (12 buttons). That'd be enough for most needs and if placed well 6 action buttons on the right would also enable comfortable Genesis/CPS2 emulation. But really, I think 12 buttons is the limit of what should be included and I can't name an emulator that would need more (esp. considering the built-in keyboard).

Julius said:
Viking said:
No offense, but I really hope CraigiX isn't listening to most of those design ideas around here.
Those button overloaded designs which seem to have the input controllers placed almost at random and with no real though about ergonomy nor overall design at all totally suck (monkey balls).

Hahahaha, thank you.

And it really doesn't need more than a couple extra buttons to the current setup on GP2X, making it 6. Dual analog would be cool, but honestly, we could all live without it. Although I still think a peripheral for that would be sweet.

When this thing comes out; if it comes out, at would cost atleast more than the PSP, maybe more.. (AKA atleast $300 for this thing...)

But hey this thing would be so good, It would be worth it. I wish you good luck.

Classic Team said:
When this thing comes out; if it comes out, at would cost atleast more than the PSP, maybe more.. (AKA atleast $300 for this thing...)
No, not necessarily, not when you count all the free software, and what it can do in the first place (and what the PSP can't). :)

Nothing beats flaming a bit :)

Anyways: this Picture was posted earlier:
sammy-gamer.jpg

Which is a pretty clever design.

I would adapt it as follows:
Put the Keyboard AND (!!!) the dual analog sticks underneath the slide screen (which doesn't need to be able to tilt like that but it wouldn't hurt either), so that the relative location of the dpad/buttons to the analog sticks would be similar to that found in a real PSX/PS2 controller (below of the dpad/buttons and somewhat closer together).
That way the analog sticks could actually have some tallness too (which greatly enhances their useability) without sticking out of the shell in anyway! (BIG advantage!)

Out side of that slidescreen is only a dpad and the four buttons located right in the middle of the device so that it would look really PDA/Zodiac like if the screen is slit shut.
Shoulder triggers can be dual like some people explained earlier and the start and select buttons (etc) are like shoulder buttons but on the lower side and smaller (e.g. like those side functionality buttons on many phones).
But there could be some extra buttons on the front acting as Start/select what ever although I don't think that is really needed.

I move we use a brainspike. We jam a small extension from this device into our cranium and interface directly with our neurons.

To prevent aneurysm, we'll have it pause automagically every 10 mins like the Virtual Boy did. Also, it should never be used by people under 25. Your warranty is void if you jab it anywhere else.

Button problem solved!!(well, it -is- more likely then a portable device with 'as many buttons as the N64' ;) )

realyst said:
I move we use a brainspike. We jam a small extension from this device into our cranium and interface directly with our neurons.

To prevent aneurysm, we'll have it pause automagically every 10 mins like the Virtual Boy did. Also, it should never be used by people under 25. Your warranty is void if you jab it anywhere else.

Button problem solved!!(well, it -is- more likely then a portable device with 'as many buttons as the N64' ;) )
Nice one "realyst"! :lol:

Morwynd said:
Julius said:
No offense [...] the input controllers placed almost at random and with no real though about ergonomy nor overall design at all totally suck (monkey balls).

Ouch, how exactly would you have phrased that if you WERE trying to be offensive? :blink:

I do appreciate any and all feedback, but do you have any constructive suggestions for improvement?

I tried to place controls based on where my thumbs and fingers naturally lie when holding a GP2X comfortably... my thumbs cover arcs on the top half of the device, so that's where I tried to position the primary controls. I also think the PSX Dualshock is an excellent dual-analog design and tried to emulate that somewhat.

As for the "button overloaded design", well, aside from the dual-analogs (which are specified) the "non-symmetrical" version has the same number of buttons as the GP2X, with the exception of the dual shoulders, but that was really just an experiment, I think it's been established the actual design will probably only have single shoulders.

As for ergonomics, the design is the same basic dimensions as the PSP, and while it is rectangular, so is the GP2X and I've never found that uncomfortable.

I can try moving the controls down a bit (but I don't want to move the sticks down too far, I think the closer to the bottom the less comfortable it will be), or I can making the design wider, to allow the primary controls to be placed more beside each other and less stacked vertically.

Basically I agree with everything that Morwynd has said and not much that Julius has said. In short I would say Julius chill out with that description. To Morwynd I would say, that's an outstanding design, the best I've seen so far and probably the best I'll see. I like the second one better because I think the first is a little bit cramped and has unnecessary buttons. I completely agree with you that the lower the analog stick is the more uncomfortable it is, I experience that every second I play with my PSP. Also, Julius, in your next post I think that picture is a cell phone not a Craiginator mockup. And as for the keyboard, I really hope it takes up just as much space as the rest of the console so it can be flicked out or unfolded and make it look like a tiny laptop with analog sticks. Does anyone know if the keyboard will be typable on or if it will be intended to be a thumb keyboard like a phone? And one last thing to Julius, I don't think there is any way that the analog sticks could go beneath the screen.

mavsman4457 said:
Basically I agree with everything that Morwynd has said and not much that Julius has said. In short I would say Julius chill out with that description. To Morwynd I would say, that's an outstanding design, the best I've seen so far and probably the best I'll see. I like the second one better because I think the first is a little bit cramped and has unnecessary buttons. I completely agree with you that the lower the analog stick is the more uncomfortable it is, I experience that every second I play with my PSP. Also, Julius, in your next post I think that picture is a cell phone not a Craiginator mockup. And as for the keyboard, I really hope it takes up just as much space as the rest of the console so it can be flicked out or unfolded and make it look like a tiny laptop with analog sticks. Does anyone know if the keyboard will be typable on or if it will be intended to be a thumb keyboard like a phone? And one last thing to Julius, I don't think there is any way that the analog sticks could go beneath the screen.
He knows that it is a cellphone, he was just using it as a reference for a design idea he had that he elaborated on in his post.

Also, the analog sticks wouldn't end up under the screen. Although this isn't such a bad idea, it would be a design nightmare and something that would only be pursued by a larger manufacturer, not something that Craig and Co. would do.

realyst said:

Most of our designs have as many buttons as the N64. The GP2X had as many buttons as the N64, and even the PSP had as many buttons as the N64. It's only 10 buttons.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
realyst said:

Most of our designs have as many buttons as the N64. The GP2X had as many buttons as the N64, and even the PSP had as many buttons as the N64. It's only 10 buttons.

-God Ginrai

I guess the makers of the PSP and GP2X just thought that it would be cooler to have 10 buttons rather than a brainspike since they are both just as easy right realyst?

Yrx said:
And it really doesn't need more than a couple extra buttons to the current setup on GP2X, making it 6. Dual analog would be cool, but honestly, we could all live without it. Although I still think a peripheral for that would be sweet.
Ah, but the GP2X doesn't have only 4 buttons... it has 12 buttons if you count the volume control (which has 3 "modes"). And really 12 buttons is all we need (that's as many as the PSX Dualshock controllers and more than enough for any other consoles), but as we know the volume buttons will be replaced with a hardwired wheel instead of software-controlled buttons (such a wheel is a much better solution for a consistent volume control IMO) those 2 or 3 buttons that the volume control offers on the GP2X need to be placed elsewhere, as does the stick-click "button" of the GP2X joystick. So the number of physical buttons will actually increase if we are to have the same number of controls. Two of the 12 buttons will probably be "stick-clicks" like they are on the PSX (since we know from Craigix we'll have dual analog controls), the rest should be separate buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back