Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick couple of questions for you Craig... Errrr... Have you decided what the machine is going to look like?, will it look similar to any of the designs exposed here?... And if so, which one?... Any chances of seeing pictures or sketches of the designs that you have in mind?

( Just trying my luck once again :lol: )

--

Donate you greedy baboons! ( only joking about the baboon part, don't monkey around ) :D
http://www.justgiving.com/craigix

cappuchok said:
And really 12 buttons is all we need (that's as many as the PSX Dualshock controllers and more than enough for any other consoles)
The PSX pads have 16 buttons, up, down, left, right, L1-2, R1-2, start, select, triangle, circle, cross, square + 2 stick clicks.

+ 4 axes according to windows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lurkio said:
cappuchok said:
And really 12 buttons is all we need (that's as many as the PSX Dualshock controllers and more than enough for any other consoles)
The PSX pads have 16 buttons, up, down, left, right, L1-2, R1-2, start, select, triangle, circle, cross, square + 2 stick clicks.

You're counting the dpad as 4 buttons then. It doesnt change anything because the new device will certainly have a dpad.

jimid2 said:
Wow, 125 pages of rampant speculation... :p

Somebody wake me when we actually KNOW something... :rolleyes:

So why should we do your work for you?

Just keep reading...

Lurkio said:
cappuchok said:

12 buttons not counting the D-pad, and not counting the digital/analog switch because it's not actually usable as a button in games. Eliminating directional and non-usable buttons leaves L1, L2, R1, R2, Start, Select, Triangle, Cross, Circle, Square, and 2 stick-clicks for a total of 12 trigger buttons (which is what all PSX-like controllers on the market have). This is what the GP2X has (but in a non-PSX layout) but the new design as known so far removes four of them (3 modes of the volume control button since it'll be replaced with a wheel, plus the stick-click since it will be replaced by a D-pad) so those will need to be re-implemented as separate triggers (not the stick-click of course, which can be added (2 of them!) to the analog nubs). That should cover most controllers as the PSX with it's 12 triggers seem to be the most "crowded" controller available.

If you were to count the dpad as buttons, the N64 would have 14:

U,D,L,R LT, RT, Z, Start, B, A, C1, C2, C3, C4
The GP2X would have 13. But most of your are rampant because the buttons aren't in the same place, etc....

I wouldn't want a portable that looks like a Manta-ray-turned-handgun.

The PSP, as massively engineered as it is, contains 13, not the full PS2 button complement you're all going on about. Also, some of the PSP buttons are used for dedicated function(no volume wheel, a + and - button)

My comment was tongue in cheek and negated the actual intention of conveying that having all those buttons comfortably laid out is a bit silly.

If you were all concerned with button count, the bloody thing'll have a keyboard. That's like, what, 35 buttons or something!

cappuchok said:
12 buttons not counting the D-pad, and not counting the digital/analog switch because it's not actually usable as a button in games. Eliminating directional and non-usable buttons leaves L1, L2, R1, R2, Start, Select, Triangle, Cross, Circle, Square, and 2 stick-clicks for a total of 12 trigger buttons (which is what all PSX-like controllers on the market have). This is what the GP2X has (but in a non-PSX layout) but the new design as known so far removes four of them (3 modes of the volume control button since it'll be replaced with a wheel, plus the stick-click since it will be replaced by a D-pad) so those will need to be re-implemented as separate triggers (not the stick-click of course, which can be added (2 of them!) to the analog nubs). That should cover most controllers as the PSX with it's 12 triggers seem to be the most "crowded" controller available.

The bit in bold is the bit I wanted to know, the rest I already know about. ;)

As for "crowded" controllers :)

Lurkio said:
cappuchok said:

The bit in bold is the bit I wanted to know, the rest I already know about. ;)

As for "crowded" controllers :)

Don't go knocking the Jaguar controller. How many other controllers would allow games to say "Now find the '7' button to fire" ;)

Having two additional buttons alongside the current 4 buttons doesn't really make it any more crowded, and it means that the buttons are in a more usable location <_<

The four button, square layout on the GP2X always felt unusual to me when playing Mega Drive and Neo Geo stuff and would have been so much better with 3 buttons in a row (or 3 x 2) and means that you loose a small amount of functionality in some games. This can be overcome by mapping two of the top row buttons to the shoulder buttons, but this just feels wrong.
PSX emulation is fine with this layout, but just means you need some dodgy mappings.
N64 would be a bit of a pain as you've got the Z trigger and all of the C buttons to take into account, as well as the 2 standard action buttons, start and shoulders. The Z trigger isn't a problem as this could just be mapped to the left shoulder button when needed (as this was rarely used in games). The C buttons could be mapped to the additional analog stick (much like the C stick on the GameCube), which I don't have too much of a problem with but a few people have mentioned that they don't like this.

Jesus. Fucking. Christ. 125 pages about a thing that has not been announced yet. Not even a mock up or design studies were shown. You guys already planned/wished for this emulation savior. I hope this thing is so expensive we won't see that many of you greedy emulation kids in that thing's scene. No matter what you want to reply to my post. Keep in mind: Still. Vaporware.

We are quite close to revealing the design, and we have listened to the opinions on here, although no one has posted anything very close to the final layout yet (which is only just being completed).

I think you will like it.

Yes I will like it, and I will buy it so I can feel like a kid again and play all my emu's.

jimid2 said:
Wow, 125 pages of rampant speculation... :p
synkro said:
Jesus. Fucking. Christ. 125 pages about a thing that has not been announced yet. Not even a mock up or design
Change your "Number of posts per page" to 40, and you only get 47 pages to moan about :p :D

Oh, and its not all "rampant speculation", there is some confirmed details. Just not that much :D

craigix said:
We are quite close to revealing the design, and we have listened to the opinions on here, although no one has posted anything very close to the final layout yet (which is only just being completed).

Thanks very much for the reply Craig B)

---

Donate you greedy chimps! ( only joking about the chimp part, don't monkey around ) :p
http://www.justgiving.com/craigix

realyst said:
If you were to count the dpad as buttons, the N64 would have 14:

U,D,L,R LT, RT, Z, Start, B, A, C1, C2, C3, C4
The GP2X would have 13. But most of your are rampant because the buttons aren't in the same place, etc....

The GP2X would have at least 14, if you count the Dpad as buttons. (Note that the N64 RARELY, if ever, used BOTH the Dpad and the Analog. The reason I don't say never, is because I haven't played every obscure game, so I can't be fully sure)

Javacat said:
The C buttons could be mapped to the additional analog stick (much like the C stick on the GameCube), which I don't have too much of a problem with but a few people have mentioned that they don't like this.
Try playing OoT with that. It's a bitch.

synkro said:
Jesus. Fucking. Christ. 125 pages about a thing that has not been announced yet. Not even a mock up or design studies were shown. You guys already planned/wished for this emulation savior.
It has been announced, so to speak.

synkro said:
I hope this thing is so expensive we won't see that many of you greedy emulation kids in that thing's scene.
So... you WANT craigix to lose money due to lack of buyers?

synkro said:
No matter what you want to reply to my post. Keep in mind: Still. Vaporware.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Vaporware

According to the most popular urban dictionary definition, this has not yet reached the point of Vaporware.

And Wikipedia has this to say about Vaporware:

Vaporware is a software or hardware product which is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge, either with or without a protracted development cycle.

Either way, a CONSIDERABLE amount of time needs to have passed from time of announcement before you can start calling it Vaporware.

So, Keep in Mind: not Vaporware

If you come back in 6 months to a year, and it still hasn't shown progress, then you might be correct in calling this Vaporware, but is absolutely incorrect at this point in time.

craigix said:

Awesome. I'm looking forward to it.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Javacat said:
The C buttons could be mapped to the additional analog stick (much like the C stick on the GameCube), which I don't have too much of a problem with but a few people have mentioned that they don't like this.
Try playing OoT with that. It's a bitch.

Have done, several times :p I know it's not perfect, but I didn't really have a problem with it. Buttons would definatly be better, but I wouldn't be too bothered if it was done with the 3D thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back