Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eolair said:
Actually I was wrong. The screen has a 15:9 aspect ratio so the correct dimensions would be ~99.7mm X ~56.2mm. Hope that helps :)
Sorry to correct you, but on double checking your math appears to be off here... 99.7 / 56.2 ~= 1.77... which is 16:9 ratio, not 15:9 (1.66...).

15:9 dimensions for a 4.3" diagonal are 93.655mm x 56.193mm.

javaJake said:
Are any of these images' print sizes correct? I'd like to print one out just to get a feel for what the size of the screen is. :)
Jake, if you can print mine with the image DPI set to 108, the screen should be approx actual size (4.3" diagonal). If you have Photoshop go to Image->Image Size, turn Resample Image OFF, and set Resolution to 108 pixels/inch, then print at 100% scale. (If you don't have Photoshop, this should still be possible with a freeware utility like IrfanView, go to Image->Resize/Resample and set DPI to 108, then print at Original Size).

Last edited by a moderator:
Morwynd said:
Sorry to correct you, but on double checking your math appears to be off here... 99.7 / 56.2 ~= 1.77... which is 16:9 ratio, not 15:9 (1.66...).

I got the numbers wrong yet again :D I was lazy and took them from an earlier post by cappuchok. Seems like he made a mistake when converting from inches to mm.

javaJake said:
Are any of these images' print sizes correct? I'd like to print one out just to get a feel for what the size of the screen is. :)
Look at a PSP, it is that size only higher resolution.

DaveC said:
javaJake said:

I think he wants to actually hold it in his hands and pretend that he is playing so he can show all of his friends his new thin gaming device. :)

lubidog said:
Off topic, but to all these people who hate Ipods, I have one I want to give a way. Its a thrity gigabite black job in perfect condition. You all hate ipods for some reason, come and get it!
I'll give you £1 for it :D

I really don't like the second analogue stick (on the left) and think it could get in the way (as well as stealing valuable real estate). I'm struggling to see what it adds that the D-pad + 1 right-side analogue can't handle -- can anyone please enlighten me? Is it purely for N64 games?

The PSP made a fatal flaw of sticking the analogue on the same side as the D-pad, so as long as the new handheld doesn't follow that ludicrous design it should be great!

GunPei2X said:
I really don't like the second analogue stick (on the left) and think it could get in the way (as well as stealing valuable real estate). I'm struggling to see what it adds that the D-pad + 1 right-side analogue can't handle -- can anyone please enlighten me? Is it purely for N64 games?

The PSP made a fatal flaw of sticking the analogue on the same side as the D-pad, so as long as the new handheld doesn't follow that ludicrous design it should be great!
I think you hit the nail on the head in the second paragraph. The left analog is pretty much all I use on my PS2. It's essential when you actually want to use the face buttons regularly (in other words, becomes a dpad alternative). Analog is about more than just aiming in FPS games.

Exophase said:
GunPei2X said:

I think you hit the nail on the head in the second paragraph. The left analog is pretty much all I use on my PS2. It's essential when you actually want to use the face buttons regularly (in other words, becomes a dpad alternative). Analog is about more than just aiming in FPS games.

I think you misread what he said. He was complaining about having a left analog at all, where it seems as if you didn't care for a right one. :huh:

DaveC said:
javaJake said:

Not exactly, PSP resolution is 480x272 (1.76)

The Project Bumble Bee resolution will be 800x480 (1.66)

-_-

Rivroner said:
DaveC said:
javaJake said:

-_-

I think he means the same (physical) size only higher resolution. Not the same pixel ratio as you pointed out.

icurafu said:
Rivroner said:
DaveC said:
javaJake said:

-_-

I think he means the same (physical) size only higher resolution. Not the same pixel ratio as you pointed out.

In that case :p :ph34r:

Eolair said:
Morwynd said:

I got the numbers wrong yet again :D I was lazy and took them from an earlier post by cappuchok. Seems like he made a mistake when converting from inches to mm.

Oops, sorry. Must've misread the numbers, I did the calculations in a CAD program so I did get the right numbers, just didn't input them correctly when I posted them here. Morwynd's measurements are correct, which would make 3,687" x 2,212".

OK, attempt #2. I did two versions, a symmetrical one and a non-symmetrical one:

newconsolescalean7.jpg

newconsolescalenonsymav7.jpg

Added inch and cm rulers for scale. Images should be viewed or printed at 85DPI (my 19" LCD at 1280x1024 is ~85DPI) for approx actual size.

The symmetrical one is starting to get crowded with the extra buttons being duplicated. :blink:

I rested my fingers on the GP2X shoulder buttons and tried to place dual shoulders according to where it seemed the pressure would go naturally. Curling the finger around the edge presses down on the corner (which I think can be fairly small and still work), but then the fingertip can be used for a second button.

Sorry if it's already settled on single shoulders for sure... just doodlin here. ;)

Think I might try adding a keyboard next... is it settled on a slide-out type? Has the possibility of a pivoting keyboard (like the Sony Clie UX50) been discussed? Imagine the benefits of a screen-protecting clamshell keyboard, that can also pivot and flip around back out of the way when using it the device in 'console' mode. :)

I would rotate the 4 normal buttons to match the attack angle of the two curved ones, the left stick should be lower, or above the DPad, or it'll get in the way of the DPad methinks. Regarding the shoulder triggers, that is the perfect design if we get the requested 4 buttons. :)

Morwynd said:
OK, attempt #2. I did two versions, a symmetrical one and a non-symmetrical one:

newconsolescalean7.jpg

Added inch and cm rulers for scale. Images should be viewed or printed at 85DPI (my 19" LCD at 1280x1024 is ~85DPI) for approx actual size.

The symmetrical one is starting to get crowded with the extra buttons being duplicated. :blink:

I rested my fingers on the GP2X shoulder buttons and tried to place dual shoulders according to where it seemed the pressure would go naturally. Curling the finger around the edge presses down on the corner (which I think can be fairly small and still work), but then the fingertip can be used for a second button.

Sorry if it's already settled on single shoulders for sure... just doodlin here. ;)

Think I might try adding a keyboard next... is it settled on a slide-out type? Has the possibility of a pivoting keyboard (like the Sony Clie UX50) been discussed? Imagine the benefits of a screen-protecting clamshell keyboard, that can also pivot and flip around back out of the way when using it the device in 'console' mode. :)

Those arc buttons are an interesting design, and would definately satisfy the need for 6 buttons on the right. ;)

-God Ginrai

Maybe you should reconsider including Bluethooth as it would not only enable better phone connectivity but also the option to use Wii controllers with the new console, which would be pretty cool :)
Can't be that expensive to include it if the support is already there in the OMAP, right?

Julius said:
Maybe you should reconsider including Bluethooth as it would not only enable better phone connectivity but also the option to use Wii controllers with the new console, which would be pretty cool :)
Can't be that expensive to include it if the support is already there in the OMAP, right?
The support isn't already there in the OMAP - it just looks like it is due to TI's graphical illustration. Bluetooth is connected via UART (basically a serial port) just like any other processor.

Morwynd said:

newconsolescalean7.jpg

Nice Design. I think 17cm wide is an good size for the Handheld, I had similar measurements in my own scribbles.
The curved buttons are to close to Pad and the other buttons. Big Fingers tend to push them during heavy action controlling, I know this, I have thick fingers. ;) Around the Pads, Sticks and Buttons always should be an free area. Your Analog Sticks are to close to the D-Pad and Action Buttons to.

Someone shoud made some real mockups made out of wood, Polystyrene, foam....whatever so there is an physical, touchable thing to experimentate with. I would do that if I had usable materials. :( Drawings are great but noone will know, how the Handheld laying into the hands.
It could be a superb design but could be absolutely nightmare, holding it. Or it could look plain and simple but have an good rest in the hands (like the Dreamcast Controller)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back