Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turnip said:
Squidge said:
quadomatic said:
But, how much more would rumble cost? Does anyone know?
about 25p :)

It should have rumble then! If you have a slot for a sim card so people can use it as a phone i bet you could put it in without getting in trouble.

Please remember that this will add 50p to the end cost. :unsure: B)

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lurkio said:
Since this is stupid ideas day
I don't think it's fair to say things like this. I am not in favour of rumble either but that doesn't make it stupid - perhaps impractical considering we don't know how much funds are there to build this thing and I doubt it would work out that well, but still it's the way things have been worded.

This next part isn't aimed at Lurkio:
There seems to be prejudice towards outsiders around here reading through the thread, people talking about pricing idiots out of this thing and keeping it aimed at a certain user group. I wouldn't mind either way- gaming only or wide capability but fighting with each other over it fills the thread and changes nothing.

And it's pretty hard to get involved here. I've been trying to join in for over a week and haven't had a response, I see others coming in too getting the same result.

All i want to do is share my anticipation and ideas with like minded people, and don't mind at all if noone agrees with my ideas. But it would be nice to get a response of some kind other than flaming/sarcasm!

I'm not holding resentment here, I waited a fair while and am just speaking my mind.

I asked this twice already, perhaps you noticed. I'm asking again -

the tits idea for dual shoulder buttons is good, but what about 'borrowing' the idea of 2 Z-triggers/xbox analog triggers - instead of putting 4 shoulders on top place 2 above then 2 triggers nearer the middle back. They don't have to be analog just to be clear. Good for FPS with the analog sticks- easier to get to while using them, and for this 64 emu if it actually happens, the best thing as I see it is they could actually help give it comfort and stability in your hands done right. Anyone?

I'm aware that simply bringing this up might turn a lot of you against me and get the opposite result to what I'm looking for.. but at this point what have I got to lose? I can't get a foot in the door anyway. If you think that the trigger idea is stupid tell me why, maybe you'll convince me :)

I personally prefer the traditional PSX shoulder buttons design :).

Comparing GP2X & PSP to Nokia N770... Imagine how small our new machine could be if designed well.

100_3981.JPG

100_3985.JPG

This cannot have random shit like rumble thrown into the mix. Its pointless, it WILL add to the size, rumble motors will require some space no matter what you think, and adding pointless crap like rumble will drive up the price, make it appear tacky and thus a jack of all trades but master of none.

zaffercharles said:
I don't think it's fair to say things like this. I am not in favour of rumble either but that doesn't make it stupid - perhaps impractical considering we don't know how much funds are there to build this thing and I doubt it would work out that well, but still it's the way things have been worded.
Life isn't fair i'm afraid clichéd I know but still true, same with the Internet.

Also my last post was meant to be vaguely humorous otherwise I would have put impractical rather than stupid, i'll add more smileys next time.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Is this enough? ;)

If this handheld was to include everything suggested here, This thing could end up twice as large as one of Ben Hecks projects. We`ll then get 100`s of posts on here from unhappy customers say that this device was ment to be portable, And Wahhh, This device is too big to fit in my pocket, What gives ?.

We need a lean, Mean, Gaming machine.

Trooper

X-Code said:
That's good for me too. But with 2 analogs to use on the new machine I thought triggers might help to give easy access to 2 buttons when using them, and extra support in your hands. Thanks for thinking about it X!

Lurkio, damn, how often am I going to forget that life isn't fair? my fault, kudos ;)

I think 10 smileys would have done, 14 is just over the top :lol:

I'm thinking about the shape of the console and how it would hold .. perhaps slant the sides slightly inward towards the top then if instead of triggers for ergonomics? kind of like /___\ but less drastic obviously.

that OMAP3430.. it's really really powerful. it's something totally different from the MMSP2 or even the MMSP2+. even the cpu alone is factors faster than the ARM9 in the MMSP2. and because it's a single processor, much easier to code on. The L2 cache helps, and so does the vector unit (NeoN). this is really a P3 class processor (except for the out-of-order crap it's missing) but with a very power efficient and elegant ARM touch. love it :) i love the fact that such a powerhouse would still even be programmable in asm hahahha :)

for the rest i don't know anything about powervr and the isp but they sound sweet and will finally bring the whole 3d thing on the road (also concerning emulation of 3d consoles). i hope craig can get this soc at a low price.. that's the only important factor. it's clear this thing is far superior to the MMSP2+.. i'm all for it.

X-Code said:
Do any of you seriously consider using this device as a phone?

Just curious :)
Possibly a VoIP phone using the WiFi connection, if it'll have a microphone and line-in (for mic-equipped headsets). I probably wouldn't want a regular cellphone in this thing as it would require extra hardware, cause more battery drain and drive up the final cost, neither of which is desirable.

X-Code said:
I do agree, and having the device be thicker at the ends, if designed well, would provide good grip as well as more space for components internally.
I'm a little bit anxious to know, though, now that craigix has said they will likely have two analog controls along with the digital pad-thingy, will the analog controls also have stick-click like the traditional PSX controllers (that would make 12 buttons (counting the stick-clicks) in all, which is exactly what is needed to achieve a "proper" PSX control scheme, and would also suffice for (almost?) all other emulators that will be possible on this device.

zaffercharles said:
the tits idea for dual shoulder buttons is good, but what about 'borrowing' the idea of 2 Z-triggers/xbox analog triggers - instead of putting 4 shoulders on top place 2 above then 2 triggers nearer the middle back. They don't have to be analog just to be clear. Good for FPS with the analog sticks- easier to get to while using them, and for this 64 emu if it actually happens, the best thing as I see it is they could actually help give it comfort and stability in your hands done right. Anyone?
I had no idea what a z-trigger was (had to look it up). And I'm still trying to visualize it... I assume you would use your forefingers for the shoulder buttons and your middle fingers for the z-triggers? I think it would actually work pretty well if you placed them exactly right. You would have to test with different hand sizes though.

But one thing I'm not sure about is if it would be a good idea to have two triggers sticking out from the middle back of a portable device. You need two supporting bumbs behind the triggers as well...? Maybe it would still work if it was two inset buttons?

I've updated the photo, now it also includes a PSP

ergonomy-wise, I would have the upper buttons tilted toward the front of the console, and the lower ones tilted towards the back ( giving a sort of rounded look ). :)

X-Code said:
I've updated the photo, now it also includes a PSP

ergonomy-wise, I would have the upper buttons tilted toward the front of the console, and the lower ones tilted towards the back ( giving a sort of rounded look ). :)
Wow, those images are daaark! I had to increase the brightness by 150% before I could begin to see anything :D

heh!, sorry about that, my camera is kinda messed up :lol:

The idea was to show the possible dimensions of the final device, I would guess that it'll end up being approximately the size of a GP2X, but without the battery area bump :)

Eolair said:
I had no idea what a z-trigger was (had to look it up). I assume you would use your forefingers for the shoulder buttons and your middle fingers for the z-triggers? I think it would actually work pretty well if you placed them exactly right. You would have to test with different hand sizes though.

But one thing I'm not sure about is if it would be a good idea to have two triggers sticking out from the back of a portable device. Unless you had two big bumbs as well... Maybe it would still work if it was two inset buttons?
Are you not a 64 fan Eolair? :D for the record I'm not personally excited about 64 emulation but it can't be a bad thing if it's possible so long as it can do 2D really nicely as well.

Yes, that was my idea of it with the finger placement, kind of like a hybrid of a wide XBOX/dualshock controller with a huge screen in the middle :)
From a pic (I forget whose) of a possible design of the console that seemed to have the analogue sticks quite low on the face. I felt that it might be hard to reach the L/R buttons without losing comfort. Maybe not mind you, perhaps the size of the end unit would still be small enough to reach them fine, I just wanted to throw some ideas around :)
About them sticking out - they needn't be very large or protruding just something small to hold on to. think a middle ground between the Z- trigger/XBOX triggers and inset buttons as you said.

It's good to talk B)

Personally, I wouldn't want anything sticking out the back - no rumble pack, no triggers, no battery pack. I want to be able to slide this baby into my pocket without looking too excited :D

Don't get me wrong, I AM trigger happy but... at the back of the console? Nah! This is not an N64 controller, remember <_<

A few notes:

Rumble is not patented. Immersion owns the patent for using a variable rumble composed of two motors(a heavy one and a light one) for varying rumbilability(that a word?).

Nintendo doesn't license anything from Immersion because Nintendo uses a single motor with varying frequency settings.

Microsoft did indeed license its use from Immersion. Sony didn't, and that cost them.

Mobile phone and devices use a completely different tech, though similar in operation of a motor driven core with a weight swinging around the motor itself(as opoosed to a weight on the end of it like the Sony and Nintendo versions).

The motor is also a very small motor indeed. In the end, the rumble device ends up looking like a small disc occupying about 1/2" to 3/4"(less then 2 cm) in diameter and maybe 1/4"(approx 1/2 a cm) high.

The drain on the battery is existent but not too bad.

Having said that, I don't care about it. There are many other features suggested and hinted at that are much more desirable then rumble. That and I'm not sure how much extra it costs.

quartercast said:
Don't get me wrong, I AM trigger happy but... at the back of the console? Nah! This is not an N64 controller, remember <_<
I know, I want it to fit in my pocket too but as this is only speculation for our entertainment mainly, there's no harm in talking it through. Maybe if there ends up a need to have a raised area at the back for the battery or something then there could be a chance to leave a small indented area on each side for triggers, meaning they wouldn't stick out. I'm imagining them being quite small, something like only 10cm protrusion and an index fingers width?

And to the "it's not an N64 controller" - I actually agree with the fact that it shouldn't be designed to fit any specific console controls but considering there's a lot of fans here and it seems to hold a lot of interest I've kind of succumbed to it ;) and as I said it may help with the ergonomic comfort of the console plus FPS style games.

Anyway thanks everyone for the responses it's been apprecieated.
I intend to do a couple of drawings- nothing as good as some others contributions but to better 'hit the nail on the head' as to my ideas just for fun.

zaffercharles said:
I'm imagining them being quite small, something like only 10cm protrusion and an index fingers width?
The width is fine but 10cm protusion? that would be thicker than the likely depth of the console. :blink:

Unless you mean 10mm? :ph34r:

Lurkio said:
Unless you mean 10mm? :ph34r:

Aww Jeeez... :p 10 mm everything included, yeah! LOL
I'm used to imperial measurements that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back