Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
atomicthumbs said:
Exophase said:
Morwynd said:
A trackball on the right side instead of a second joystick. Am I crazy?
Yes.

How about a Trackpoint?

trackpoint.jpg

I hope you're not serious. Those eraser mice are an abomination.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love trackpoints! It would be great to have one on the keyboard :)

(oops, I forgot we'll have a touchscreen :D)

Yea, a touch screen is all you need to navigate a web page, aside from possibly a keyboard.

What was that being said before about a slide-out keyboard? I'm not sure that is a great idea. I'd rather there was just a virtual keyboard that popped up when you are entering a web address, or typing something in. But, that would probably take up too much room on the screen.

What about using the stylus for actually writing in web addresses and other things? Would that be possible?

quadomatic said:
Yea, a touch screen is all you need to navigate a web page, aside from possibly a keyboard.

What was that being said before about a slide-out keyboard? I'm not sure that is a great idea. I'd rather there was just a virtual keyboard that popped up when you are entering a web address, or typing something in. But, that would probably take up too much room on the screen.

What about using the stylus for actually writing in web addresses and other things? Would that be possible?
Remember, it's not just a game console. Do you really want to tap out posts on GP32X with no tactile feedback?

Exophase said:
Morwynd said:
Yes.

Well thanks for the honesty. :D

Seriously though, why not a trackball?

Specifically, for FPS games.

An analog stick is great for movement, but lousy for aiming.

A trackball, while it certainly would take some getting used to, can replace the mouse for fast precision aiming. Many hard core FPS players swear by them in fact, as superior to mice.

Morwynd said:
Exophase said:
Morwynd said:
Yes.

Well thanks for the honesty. :D

Seriously though, why not a trackball?

Specifically, for FPS games.

An analog stick is great for movement, but lousy for aiming.

A trackball, while it certainly would take some getting used to, can replace the mouse for fast precision aiming. Many hard core FPS players swear by them in fact, as superior to mice.

I think people who seriously use trackballs don't use tiny ones that'd have to be maybe half the diameter of a mouse ball. I don't really see how that'd allow you to move anything more efficiently than some other analog interface, and even the smallest kind useable would take up quite a bit of room just by being spherical.

Besides, people are complaining that analog is too domain specific, even though they're used for lots of 3D games. What you're describing only sounds good for FPS, and aside from Doom and Quake series there's not a ton of potential for FPSes on this thing.

Heh!, I leave for a while and there is a lovely flame war, I miss all the fun :lol:

Morwynd said:
Eolair's design, and talk of two analog sticks inspired me to try my hand at a mockup:
newconsoleon4.jpg

It's much rougher on details than Eolair's, was just trying to get a feel for the aspect ratio and possible control arrangement. Obviously Dualshock inspired, and adding a few more buttons, keeping in mind possible vertical play with the dpad. Comments and suggestions welcome. :)

You know what might be truly revolutionary? A trackball on the right side instead of a second joystick. Am I crazy?

PS... the pixel dimensions on the screen in the above mockup are exactly half... 400x240. So the real thing would be twice as sharp in both directions, quadruple the total pixels overall.

Nice design, most of the controls/buttons look quite well placed too :)

Opera is bloated? BLOATED? WTF?
Opera has many functions, yes, but blows firefox in terms of speed, has much more functionality out of the box. Speed is an issue, I for one, uses opera mainly because Firefox is too slow when using many tabs.

Opera bloated? It's a myth!

I liked Opera, before they decided to put the kitchen sink in there and bloat it up. Now I use seperate apps for everything.

Firefox for the win! :D

Squidge said:
I liked Opera, before they decided to put the kitchen sink in there and bloat it up. Now I use seperate apps for everything.

Firefox for the win! :D
Yeah, they have put many functions in it. BUT, who cares? Its still a great deal faster than firefox (I've used FF for about a year now)

ITS NOT BLOATED, get it? :lol:

Turnip said:
A trackball would be cool..
I agree. I never bought a console because of controllers.
I was used to spectrum and joysticks. Then pc with keyboards and mouses.
But I don't know of design issues.

Anyway this handeld device will be simply too much expensive to me. And I'm an european. :)

Uk salary are more high than a lot of countries of Europe.

javaJake said:
The picture gave me a name idea... "PeGaSys", or "pe.ga.sys" or something of that sort. It stands for Personal Gaming System. Eolair has "Personal Gaming Assistant", but that last word... well... nevermind. If it sounds familiar, "Pegasus (Greek: Πήγασος (Pégasos)) was a winged horse that was the son of Poseidon..."

The company developing TMPGEnc probably wouldn't like that. ;)

sam fisher said:
No bluetooth, not IR, only Wifi. The SoC COULD have bluetooth etc with added extras but why would you want bluetooth when you could have the far superior WiFi?
Indeed, but to be perfectly fair here, Bluetooth could be useful for some peripherals so if it's not too much of an additional cost perhaps it would make sense to include it. Then again, I personally wouldn't need it if this device has a built-in keyboard. Bluetooth could be a nice cheap way of enabling the use of GPS peripherals, though.

@craigix: All the details given by you so far have been (fairly) well in line with my hopes and expectations, I'm hoping you can come up with a comfortable layout for the relatively massive amounts of controls on this thing. Looking forward to more details on design and specs as the project progresses. I'll be eagerly awaiting spring 2008, but at least I have my GP2X to entertain me until then. :)

cappuchok said:
sam fisher said:
No bluetooth, not IR, only Wifi. The SoC COULD have bluetooth etc with added extras but why would you want bluetooth when you could have the far superior WiFi?
Indeed, but to be perfectly fair here, Bluetooth could be useful for some peripherals so if it's not too much of an additional cost perhaps it would make sense to include it. Then again, I personally wouldn't need it if this device has a built-in keyboard. Bluetooth could be a nice cheap way of enabling the use of GPS peripherals, though.

In zodiac bluetoth was a suposed way of local multiplayer between zodiacs.
Bluetooth uses less energy than wifi.

I think the default web browser should be something KHTML/Webkit based, its generally the fastest rendering engine, and on an 800x480 screen we don't really need the small-screen clevers that Opera has. The full desktop version of any browser would likely be a bit slow (The OMAP is pretty fast yes, but people here seem to be imagining it has magical powers)
But software can always be fixed later anyway, so its not that important.

My only concern about the hardware now is the keyboard. Personally I'd like the screen+controls to be on one of those fold-out-and-flip-over hinges like on some tablet PCs and other things, but I would imagine that would make it too expensive, and would certainly add bulk.
The best way to go would probably be having it slide out from underneath, making it the full width of the device. If it was under a slide-up screen, that wouldn't leave a big enough area to have both large enough keys and a full set of keys.
If the keyboard ends up being just letters+numbers with no keys like [ ] ; ' # \ / then I'll be quite dissapointed.

Rarely used keys such as [ ] ; ' # \ / surely can be typed using a function key and a letter key at the same time, rather than using up precious space by having them as actual keys?

Yeah, they have put many functions in it. BUT, who cares? Its still a great deal faster than firefox (I've used FF for about a year now)

They have put many functions in it that many people will not use. Isn't that the definition of bloatware? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back