Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squidge said:
A_SN said:
Here's what I don't get, what will we be able to do with that pseudo FPU we'll get?
Well, if the MMSP2+ is chosen, you'll be able to upload your fpu code and arguments to the processor, it'll run through the code and give you the result. You got the usual stuff like floating point add / divide / multiply / reciprocal / square root / etc.

Are you seriously considering this "way" as a valid way to "emulate" FPU operations ? that would be too slow anyway ! and will conflict with Open GL which also needs to compute with this "embedded" FPU in GPU.

For float operations, a true FPU is only the right one to have or better a VFPU9 would probably be the best. Any other tricks are just a pain in the ass (compiler are not aware of them) and I bet most developers wouldn't even know how to use it efficiently.

Just think about VFPU on PSP, it is actually not used by most of homebrews because the homebrew version of gcc doesn't even handle this coprocessor. FPU or VFP9 on ARM9 are handled by gcc.

EDIT:

OMG ! page 90 ! I didn't read 2/3 of all pages... :/ sorry this post may sound old...

Last edited by a moderator:
Dammit, I've skipped a few pages in this thread out of frustration ( and also because I'm f*cken' drunk) but this whole thread had gotten to the point where its insulting to the community, let alone to craigix and co.

We get information about the control layout and the soc, and no sooner than when we get word from the horses mouth do people start bitching. "Oh, I dont need 2 analogue sticks, If they are going with the OMAP I want the cheaper outdated 2 series cause I'm a f*cking cheapskate." F*ck this thread in its stingy whining ass.

I for one am out of here until the new device is released. I hope my use of offensive language doesn't get me banned permanently, but for jebus sake, support this thing or don't. There was a period of time where craigix and the rest of the undisclosed investors may have given half a toss about our opinions. But this thread has taken their generosity too far. Why dont we just wait and see what eventuates instead of acting like we have a right to ownership of a device we didn't have a goddamn thing to do with financially.

P.S. To the current gp2x users from America who don't wanna pay for what is most likely going to be the most powerful open console EVER, eat it you sonsabitches."Our currency isn't worth squat now, what are we gonna do now that we gotta feel the burn of spending our disposable income when we could just piss it in the wind painlessly in the past?" Welcome to the real world. Thats what you get for electing warmongers.

And to all those who disagree and feel the need, flame away you silly bastards.

Bye.

zaffercharles said:
Eolair said:
2xanaloguezr6.jpg

Larger image

I like the look of this, but I would like to have something to cover the screen. But something more than a screen protector that would protect the entire unit face, and is there to be a keyboard in this design or not?

This is separate from the above to anyone - the tits idea for dual shoulder buttons is good, what about 'borrowing' the idea of 2 Z-triggers/xbox analog triggers - instead of putting 4 shoulders on top place 2 above then 2 triggers nearer the middle back. They don't have to be analog just to be clear. Good for FPS with the analog sticks- easier to get to while using them, and for this 64 emu if it actually happens, the best thing as I see it is they could actually help give it comfort and stability in your hands done right. Anyone?

Anyone? :unsure:

mavsman4457 said:
Six is too much as many people have said and for N64 people can just use the C-stick.
I would rather have 6 buttons, but if I could have 4 buttons and start and select, I can still get by. (I can use key-combinations for the start button, and L and such) But please, NEVER suggest using an analog stick for C buttons. The C-stick was the worst idea that Nintendo has allowed into production as far as controllers are concerned, and using a stick for the things that you use the C buttons for in the N64 would be horrible.

But it is interesting that there will be 2 sticks and a Dpad. ^_^ I'm looking forward to this handheld more and more.

-God Ginrai

sold said:
I hope my use of offensive language doesn't get me banned permanently
I've seen people (or should I say 'a person'?) be much more rude than you over a very long time, yet they haven't been banned.

hlide said:
Are you seriously considering this "way" as a valid way to "emulate" FPU operations ? that would be too slow anyway ! and will conflict with Open GL which also needs to compute with this "embedded" FPU in GPU.
That's kinda non-applicable now. We have a dedicated FPU.

sam fisher said:
quadomatic said:
sam fisher said:
No, but to anyone else £200 is a brilliant price for this but directly converted to dollars (not substracting VAT) most americans on here have moaned about a $400 price tag (actually only $340).
Please do realize that generally things in the USA don't cost as much as things in the UK. That's probably why £200 doesn't seem like a brilliant price to people in the USA.

Consider PS3. In the UK, PS3 is about $810 in USD. In the USA, it's $500 for the same one. Even Nintendo Wii, which is $250 in the USA, sells for $365 in the UK. I'm not sure why there's such a large price difference. I'm guessing it probably has to do with the amount of expendable income people have.

But anyways, I'll still be saving up for this device...well this and a PC upgrade. I'm buying a used GP2X MK2 now to hold me over until I have the money for this and/or until it's released. I'd rather the system is "done when it's done" rather than setting a date.

But this is a UK product, hence Craig will want a UK profit, hence you pay a UK price. I.E. say $40 is an acceptable profit per unit but that is nothing in England. Craig would need a £40 profit for it to have the same value over here.

please don't misunderstand. I understand that the price is as high as it is because it's being made in the UK.

I'm just pointing out why people in the USA might think the price is a bit high, even though it really isn't when you consider it's made in the UK.

What sort of SD cards will it be using? The ones the GP2x uses or the tiny ones you get in phones?

Turnip said:
What sort of SD cards will it be using? The ones the GP2x uses or the tiny ones you get in phones?
Regular SD cards. There's a "search topic" form at the lower-left corner of this page. Nearly everything there is to know so far about the new device can be found using that.

javaJake said:
Turnip said:
Regular SD cards. There's a "search topic" form at the lower-left corner of this page. Nearly everything there is to know so far about the new device can be found using that.

Cool, I was hoping it wouldent use the small ones cos theyd get lost, tho I suppose it would be nice to be able to esily transfer things from your phone and back..

If one types 'SD card size' into that search thingy the results arnet particularly helpfull...

Use a spellchecker for even greater results... in the readability of your post.

Turnip said:
If one types 'SD card size' into that search thingy the results arnet particularly helpfull...
Hmmm, you're right. My apologies. I must be thinking of the other thread that had all sorts of cool information... can't find it now.

sam fisher said:
Heh, i'm just angry that we generally pay twice what you do for everything :p
I have sympathy for your predicament. I don't think it's fair that you should pay more for systems when they're cheaper in the USA.

But anyways, I can't wait for this project to be done so I can enjoy it. Until then, a GP2X, which I should get in the next couple weeks, should hopefully hold me over till then.

Does this OMAP chip support 720p HD video decoding? I saw a post mentioning something like that earlier. If it does...drools :D

Has Craig decided on a screen? What's a good estimate of the resolution?

Also, about emulation capabilities, is it probable that this will be able to emulate all 2D systems fullspeed? And, is it likely Playstation and N64 will be emulated fullspeed?

quadomatic said:
sam fisher said:
I have sympathy for your predicament. I don't think it's fair that you should pay more for systems when they're cheaper in the USA.

But anyways, I can't wait for this project to be done so I can enjoy it. Until then, a GP2X, which I should get in the next couple weeks, should hopefully hold me over till then.

Does this OMAP chip support 720p HD video decoding? I saw a post mentioning something like that earlier. If it does...drools :D

Also, about emulation capabilities, is it probable that this will be able to emulate all 2D systems fullspeed? And, is it likely Playstation and N64 will be emulated fullspeed?

Yes, it does. TI did a press release about it and forgot to include it in the specs page. Also, you can put a micro sd card in your GP2X or maybe craginator by getting an adaptor. And why can't you search after just being told off about it? :( 800x480 screen.

icurafu said:
quadomatic said:
sam fisher said:

Yes, it does. TI did a press release about it and forgot to include it in the specs page. Also, you can put a micro sd card in your GP2X or maybe craginator by getting an adaptor. And why can't you search after just being told off about it? :( 800x480 screen.

I was never told off about anything, nor did I ask about Micro SD...but thanks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back