Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exophase said:
IR is only ever used by anyone for one application, and it's kinda silly seeing as how TVs/DVD players/etc actually do come with remotes that are probably better suited for them than some handheld is.
How much would IR actually cost?

It's probably not worth it though, if the only application is a universal remote.

Maybe we should set up some kind of voting system to see who finds certain debated features, such as IR and Bluetooth, useful for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eolair said:
God Ginrai said:
Hey Eolair, do you think you could try making a design of the RetroGrade with the two bottom right buttons above the right stick?

-God Ginrai
gpx3cwhite2xanaloguefu9.jpg

You mean like this? I assume it's because you want the buttons grouped together. But is it comfortable having the analogue sticks that low though? You'll probably be using those extra four buttons least of all controls. So why give them placement priority? I'm no gamepad expert, just curious :)

Edit: Or like this... :blink:
2xanalogue2br5.jpg

The one you added in the Edit is the way I would like it. ;) The reason I would give those two on the right priority is because for decent N64 emulation controls, you need the buttons grouped together. the bottom two buttons would be A and B, and the ABXY above them would be the C's Then, depending on which buttons you need and which you don't, you can assign start, L, R, and Z to the buttons that are left. This would also make Genesis 6 button somewhat easier as well.

-God Ginrai

Eolair said:
God Ginrai said:
Hey Eolair, do you think you could try making a design of the RetroGrade with the two bottom right buttons above the right stick?

-God Ginrai
gpx3cwhite2xanaloguefu9.jpg

You mean like this? I assume it's because you want the buttons grouped together. But is it comfortable having the analogue sticks that low though? You'll probably be using those extra four buttons least of all controls. So why give them placement priority? I'm no gamepad expert, just curious :)

Edit: Or like this... :blink:
2xanalogue2br5.jpg

I like those, either one would be good.

One thing though is that I would nix some of those video specific buttons along the bottom. The unit is getting too "buttony" and those are redundant. You can use the 4 buttons on the right for that, or the D-pad. I would just have two, one for menu and one exit etc.

Also I wouldn't become to obsessed with making the unit too small or thin. While it is good to be portable it is also important to be comfortable to hold and play. If it isn't comfortable to play than it wouldn't be worth while. Ever notice how console controllers are rather fat? That is because they feel better than some hand cramping razor thin device. Obviously this wont be a big as a controller but a good balance should be made.

On the software topic:

Will somebody port Perl to this? Because there's a neat script that lets you access the Internet for free from Wi-fi hotspots you have to pay for, by routing it through DNS.

atomicthumbs said:
On the software topic:

Will somebody port Perl to this? Because there's a neat script that lets you access the Internet for free from Wi-fi hotspots you have to pay for, by routing it through DNS.
Do you have a link?

DNS tunnelling is a really new and interesting technique. PTunnels have been around for a while and works with most ISPs except Verizon I think. (Blocks ICMP)

atomicthumbs said:
On the software topic:

Uhhh...thats probably illegal

Kinda not related but could I learn how to port something for use with this device without actually fully, or partly, knowing how to program?

mavsman4457 said:
Kinda not related but could I learn how to port something for use with this device without actually fully, or partly, knowing how to program?
It's possible.

quadomatic said:
atomicthumbs said:
On the software topic:

A whitehat would say yes.
A greyhat would say you're only making excessive use of protocols available freely.
A blackhat would say, who cares.

But most importantly, a court of law will probably find it an illegal act. (if you live in the US/UK/Canada/NZ/AU)

icurafu said:
quadomatic said:
atomicthumbs said:
On the software topic:

A greyhat would say you're only making excessive use of protocols available freely.

But most importantly, a court of law will probably find it an illegal act. (if you live in the US/UK/Canada/NZ/AU)

Why would it be illegal? They left the DNS open. This is the way I always use the Internet! :D

Link: http://dnstunnel.de/

Intel's Menlow chipset is being fabricated in their 45nm process, so it's purported to be affordable and battery efficient despite performing nearly as powerfully as modern laptops.

The SGX530 core was the first one PowerVR had available for the portable, handheld, market, so that's the one that the OMAP3430 is probably using considering the 3430 is among the first portable SoCs using SGX.

quadomatic said:
Hmmm...it does seem like Bluetooth could be a worthy addon, but I think it should depend on how much it would cost.

How difficult would it be to get a USB Bluetooth adapter to work anyways?

Also, what would be the point of IR?
My priorities:

1.-Mic
2.-Bluetooth
3.-Ir
4.-Rumble, etc...

"IR is only ever used by anyone for one application, and it's kinda silly seeing as how TVs/DVD players/etc actually do come with remotes that are probably better suited for them than some handheld is."

I use my zodiac as a universal remote using the touchscreen. It's comfortable.
You can use IR for palm accesories. Like keyboards.

And if a palmos simulator and emulator could be done.
Ir can be useful for palmos functions. I usually sent many palmos programs/databases using Ir.
But I often use IR as universal remote.

Menlow is NOT as powerful as modern laptops. It performs as crap as the current McCaslin board. (Only smaller and more energy efficient)

The CPU has been clocked up slightly from the current 800Mhz that performs like a pre-centrino Pentium M (I think 833Mhz).

Onboard you get GMA950 clocked at 133Mhz. When have you heard of a GPU clocked that low, even the laptop onboard clocks at 200Mhz.

This is like Pre-Geforce clockspeeds, so we are like 8 generations behind with current generation hardware (OpenGL 2.0 and DirectX 9. The only game I've seen on one was Quake3 which skipped on 800x480. I'm hoping we get better performance on the Craiginator.

There was a rumor that Menlow would clock at 1.8Ghz on the higher end model, but that's going to be for mini laptops rather than MIDs (Intel's market term for Mobile Internet Device)

atomicthumbs said:
icurafu said:
quadomatic said:
atomicthumbs said:
On the software topic:

Why would it be illegal? They left the DNS open. This is the way I always use the Internet! :D

Link: http://dnstunnel.de/

Just a word of advice. If you're stealing bandwidth at an airport, most places have enough security to notice you flooding their DNS. If they had a proper IPS system in place, they would block you.

If they are bored enough they might bother sending security staff after you with a PDA.

Imagination Technologies (the company of which PowerVR is a division) projects the first products from their Intel UMPC partnership to release early next year, so Menlow seems to be the chipset that'll be bringing the SGX core, providing it with DirectX 10+ graphics functionality.

Lazy8s said:
Imagination Technologies (the company of which PowerVR is a division) projects the first products from their Intel UMPC partnership to release early next year, so Menlow seems to be the chipset that'll be bringing the SGX core, providing it with DirectX 10+ graphics functionality.
I was told early this year in simple terms that there would be little changes to the graphics chip in menlow from McCaslin. Only an update in the OpenGL hardware to version 2.0 with no update to DirectX9.0c at all (this chip was codenamed Poulsbo). And that it would not be until moorestown in early 2009 that you would see a different chip. I checked one of the linux distros for menlow MID and only found code references to GMA950.

I'm happy to admit that things may have changed since then and it would be great news if intel has pushed ahead with a PowerVR solution instead.

This is an old link I could find that includes an intel press release to China.

Do you have a link to the good news? (I've always been a kyro fanboy)

One thing I'm wondering is how the device is going to be used when hooked up to a TV. If there is going to be no cradle for this thing so it'll just be laying around on the TV desk / floor / whatever, we'll need at least the battery charger, video-out, line-out and USB 2.0 Host (hooked up to a powered hub if two or more accessories are to be used at once) to be usable at the same time without trouble.
If there is to be a cradle, make sure it can power the device (and possibly also the other way around) - and have a special connector for it transferring all required signals (USB 2.0 Host, power, audio and video) to suitable connectors on the back/front of the cradle then all of those cables would attach to the cradle instead which could also act as a powered hub.

EDIT: Since the devs have been dropping hints (in the old thread) about this device being capable of independent dual display, it could be cool to use for various things related to TV-out usage, for instance as an external display for media center functions (like those little touch screens built into the front of some HTPC-cases) or as a display for various information (maps, stats) in homebrew games (or (this is dreaming, I know) use the built-in display as the touch screen in DS emulation and use the TV as the other display (many games use the touchscreen for maps and stats and the upper screen for the actual game)).

EDIT2: Oh, and I'd vote for a stylish gray/silver color for the body - white causes too much glare, especially if this is to have a glossy finish like the F-200 (the matt finish of the black GP2X wears down far too easily around the action buttons). And black is too much contrast to the light of the display in low-light conditions, really hurts the eyes (comparing the GP2X to a light gray NDS, I know which one I'd prefer in low-light environments).

Lazy8s said:
Intel's Menlow chipset is being fabricated in their 45nm process, so it's purported to be affordable and battery efficient despite performing nearly as powerfully as modern laptops.

The SGX530 core was the first one PowerVR had available for the portable, handheld, market, so that's the one that the OMAP3430 is probably using considering the 3430 is among the first portable SoCs using SGX.
It would be nice if the OMAP3430 is using the SGX530. It has an effective fill rate of 1200M pixels/s and 13.5M polygons/s. It's not the highest mobile SGX but has more than enough power for our uses IMO.

i.MX31 comparison:
135M pixels/s and 1.7M polygons/s

Eolair said:
Lazy8s said:

It would be nice if the OMAP3430 is using the SGX530. It has an effective fill rate of 1200M pixels/s and 13.5M polygons/s. It's not the highest mobile SGX but has more than enough power for our uses IMO.

i.MX31 comparison:
135M pixels/s and 1.7M polygons/s

Where did you find that information? All I could find was that the slowest SGX card does 2.3 million polygons.

Edit: Don't worry, i found it. Amazing. The gamecube would only do 12 million polygons per second. I hope 13.5 is realistic and not just a best case, making strong use of T&L figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back