Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
pkostrze said:
I have two questions:

1 - I searched but didn't find a reference to it - will the Craigenator have a CMOS battery for time/date?
That hasn't been announced, so we don't know. It would be nice if there was some way for it to keep time and date steady, though.

pkostrze said:
2 - At what point does this cease to be the "GP3X" and start being just another UMPC, albeit running Linux?
It ceases to be the "GP3X" as soon as you read the part where craig says that GPH is not involved. ;P

But on a more serious note, I believe that what this has evolved into is actually right on the border of handheld and UMPC. It's a gaming handheld, but at the same time, it's a UMPC with good gaming controls. Does that answer your question well enough?

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
If you don't want more, then truthfully, you have nothing to offer with a post, because you won't be a customer, seeing as how you're fine with your 2X, you won't be a dev much for the same reason, and you won't even express new ideas, because you don't want anything more.
btw, Sam, I thought you would have more to say in response to him. o_ô

-God Ginrai

Learn to respect the opinions of others. Read again euro's post then read your reply, and see if such a harsh tone was really justified... <_<

Alex. said:
God Ginrai said:
If you don't want more, then truthfully, you have nothing to offer with a post, because you won't be a customer, seeing as how you're fine with your 2X, you won't be a dev much for the same reason, and you won't even express new ideas, because you don't want anything more.
btw, Sam, I thought you would have more to say in response to him. o_ô

-God Ginrai

Learn to respect the opinions of others. Read again euro's post then read your reply, and see if such a harsh tone was really justified... <_<

I do respect people's opinions, I don't respect some people's decisions of when and where to speak out their opinions. I read his post many times over to make sure what he was saying. I don't have anything against him having such an opinion, but it makes no sense whatsoever for him to voice it in this topic.

For example, I think the PSP is crud and violates the most important standard of handhelds, and I have no problem speaking about my opinion of it. But, I choose when and where it is appropriate to bring up such an opinion. If someone asked me what I thought about the PSP, then that is a good time for me to voice my opinion. However, if I'm browsing through a topic about an emulator released for the PSP, then it would be an inappropriate time for me to voice my opinion of the PSP. Not only would most everyone in the topic think I'm an ass for doing so, but it could also serve as a chance for people wanting to flame the PSP to totally ruin the thread.

Do you see what I mean?

By the way, if anyone disagrees with me on my opinion of the PSP, please don't post in this thread about it. You're free to pm me if you'd like to debate about it.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
For example, I think the PSP is crud and violates the most important standard of handhelds, and I have no problem speaking about my opinion of it. But, I choose when and where it is appropriate to bring up such an opinion. If someone asked me what I thought about the PSP, then that is a good time for me to voice my opinion. However, if I'm browsing through a topic about an emulator released for the PSP, then it would be an inappropriate time for me to voice my opinion of the PSP. Not only would most everyone in the topic think I'm an ass for doing so, but it could also serve as a chance for people wanting to flame the PSP to totally ruin the thread.
-God Ginrai
Hi, pot? This is kettle, your black.

PoisonedV said:
God Ginrai said:
-God Ginrai
Hi, pot? This is kettle, your black.

Hey kettle, care to point out where?

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
-God Ginrai
I'm sorry that you can't read what I bolded up there, but.
Discuss here your views, wants and opinions regarding our new super handheld. Baring in mind Craig has only given us a smidgen of information keeping us all drooling at what it could possibly be like.
That is the topics... topic. Arguing about whether or not some one should post something isn't. I'm making it a bigger deal right now, but of course I'm not the one saying ". But, I choose when and where it is appropriate to bring up such an opinion" but I'm done with this silly little arguement.
What I think? It's already been said alot, but, Wi-Fi. This is already a pretty close knit community (you see the same faces pretty much constantly) so the Wi-Fi feature would be great, since there wouldn't be 9 year olds yelling at you over a bad Xbox mic for 'killing their doodz', only homebrew and emulater enthusiasts...
-PoisonedV

javaJake said:
Goity said:
Am I the only one pushing for full 7.1 surround sound in this beast?
Just about. I think it might be cool, but I think (like Bluetooth) it won't be used enough to be worth it.

On the other hand, it might be conceivably interesting to have the ability to - in software - send the sound to the in-built USB-slot in however many channels you choose, if there is such a thing as a USB surround sound system. Might work. Maybe.

euro48k said:
this is just too much .. 80% on this thread are jokes??!? and "unbelievable" requests .. why on earth "Mega Bass switch on the system" ?
Agreed - if Bluetooth wasn't included, I doubt this (and the above) won't.

euro48k said:
we are doomed .. since the gameboy the handeld world is suffering ..
wi-fi, wide screen, touchscreen, keyboard, microphone, hard-disk to play what? games that were written for big-screen and coin op machines, games that were written in `70 -> `90 ... for our older audience
If you think about it, those features aren't used for video games (although they can be) - they're used in desktops mostly. That makes it more a well-rounded device without going overboard like some UMPCs. IM H O.

euro48k said:
how you think the gaming-industry will be interested in selling games for a new "unknown" console ?
Well, the GP2X did well in a "small" market. This, which has reached out to a wider audience (me, for example) should be just fine.

this is the thing that should be in your mind ..

euro48k said:
i do prefer the gp2x .. it has everything i ever dreamed of with from `70 and ending with `90 in cps2 era .. when we all meet the reality .. the real life, family, workplace, kids .. i do play 2-3hours a day and while long-distance travels
i actually don`t need n64/saturn/psx/ps2/nds .. they are something different and they belong to the "powerful" present-day machines that are hardly emulated even on noisy home-computers.. they aren`t dead just like the others .. it is the past we would like to relive?
for me yes ..it is the past ..thankyou gp2x and every distributor involved :)
This is your opinion - if you don't care about the laptop-like capabilties, mixed in with beautiful multimedia and gaming capabilities, and already have something that works for you, then I'm glad your happy! We all like a happy user. :)

I think we should be a little bit more respectful about posting, flaming and such, <_<

but anyways to be on topic

Now lets get down to business...the craiginator is indeed I'm gonna say this is "a bitchin handheld

Still I just don't think they'll have it manufactured by spring 2008...I really doubt thats gonna happen. I think a better call would be christmas 08. ;)

Tobriand said:
On the other hand, it might be conceivably interesting to have the ability to - in software - send the sound to the in-built USB-slot in however many channels you choose, if there is such a thing as a USB surround sound system. Might work. Maybe.
*Orders another USB hub, and two more sets of batteries* ;)

garzyboi said:
Still I just don't think they'll have it manufactured by spring 2008...I really doubt thats gonna happen. I think a better call would be ......
*runs away before he can hear another word*

PoisonedV said:
God Ginrai said:
-God Ginrai
I'm sorry that you can't read what I bolded up there, but.
Discuss here your views, wants and opinions regarding our new super handheld. Baring in mind Craig has only given us a smidgen of information keeping us all drooling at what it could possibly be like.
That is the topics... topic. Arguing about whether or not some one should post something isn't. I'm making it a bigger deal right now, but of course I'm not the one saying ". But, I choose when and where it is appropriate to bring up such an opinion" but I'm done with this silly little arguement.
What I think? It's already been said alot, but, Wi-Fi. This is already a pretty close knit community (you see the same faces pretty much constantly) so the Wi-Fi feature would be great, since there wouldn't be 9 year olds yelling at you over a bad Xbox mic for 'killing their doodz', only homebrew and emulater enthusiasts...
-PoisonedV

Ok, I see what you mean, but like I said, I still don't see the appropriateness in a post that does nothing but backpedal.

-God Ginrai

javaJake said:
Tobriand said:

garzyboi said:
Still I just don't think they'll have it manufactured by spring 2008...I really doubt thats gonna happen. I think a better call would be ......

hey I'm not be being skeptical I mean come on???

were basically saying that is console is gonna be up and running in nearly 7-8 months??????

I can't even think of a single console, let along handheld that took longer than at least a year to manufacture the amount needed for release...unless you want some ugly looking prototypes.... :unsure:

Edit: friggin typos....

garzyboi said:
javaJake said:
Tobriand said:

garzyboi said:

hey I'm not be being skeptical I mean come on???

were basically saying that is console is gonna be up and running in nearly 7-8 months??????

I can't even think of a single console, let along handheld that took longer than at least a year to manufacture the amount needed for release...unless you want some ugly looking prototypes.... :unsure:

Edit: friggin typos....

I understand where you're coming from, but I personally would like to believe that craig can pull off the improbable. ;)

-God Ginrai

Okay I stand corrected... :eek:

It just seemed like this was kinda rushed...well not necessarily rushed but I mean we don't even have remote prototype to even look at...

I dunno craig must have contacts in places that might even possibly rival the big boys...

So I'll lay my skeptism to rest and have faith in the "bitchin handheld"

craigix said:
We have been working on this since March and throwing about ideas since October last year. It's happening.
It's always nice to be reminded that. ^_^ Think you could hazard a general idea for a month we might be able to get our hands on it? (Or whether it will be out in early or late spring?)

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
I love the GP2X, but at the same time, I want more than what the GP2X has to offer. That's why this topic is so large, because a large number of us want more. If you don't want more, then truthfully, you have nothing to offer with a post, because you won't be a customer, seeing as how you're fine with your 2X, you won't be a dev much for the same reason, and you won't even express new ideas, because you don't want anything more.

-God Ginrai
I think what he was trying to say is what I have said before. It seems like this new console is being geared mostly towards just 3D and 3D system emulation such as PSX. It seems like it is neglecting many of the older 2D systems such as SNES etc. There has been no talk of this unit having digital controls of any kind other than adding a separate, but clunky on a handheld, external USB joypad. All of the talk is about how many polys it will render and 3D this and analog that. It sounds alot like a system that is being tailored just toward PSX. Not everyone is as mental over PSX as a few vocal ones in this thread are. For those that would like to be able to run SNES or MAME etc at full speed, and be able to control it well (analog is pants for controlling digital games, makes the stick on the GP2X control good in comparison) are feeling a bit left out. I think it will be a huge mistake for it not to have controls suitable to be able to play MAME, SNES, Megadrive etc as well as PSX.

I think dual analog sticks are dumb for a handheld such as this, especially if it comes at the expense of a decent d-pad. The only use for two would be some PSX games (many work fine with a pad) and a few PC ports of FPSs like Quake. After everyone gets bored of quake and PSX then what? Homebrew 3D? Giving the amount of work needed for 3D how much of that do you really think will be made? How many of these couldn't do just as well with one analog , touchscreen, and a d-pad? While 3D will be nice for some, it is hardly a unique feature anymore considering that every single handheld and console is nothing but 3D these days. This new handheld should be suitable for doing both 3d as well as be very suitable for retrogaming too. I hope it will end up being good for all control types, no matter what the preference, it will certainly have the power.

I think what DaveC is trying to say is that he, himself, is mistaken and generally nuts.

EDIT: Who says there's no digital pad? Why assume that due to lack of information that it won't support these? It's obviously capable of it. And if it's capable and is an open platform like its being proposed as, it will get done. It will also have a nice PSX emulator for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back