Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squidge said:
Vimacs said:
Pleas go to the spam thread with that kinda stuff and finally start staying on topic!
The only way thats going to happen is if you start banning people (for say, 24 hours) everytime they post off-topic crap into this thread.

effective right now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Vimacs said:
Squidge said:
Vimacs said:
Pleas go to the spam thread with that kinda stuff and finally start staying on topic!
The only way thats going to happen is if you start banning people (for say, 24 hours) everytime they post off-topic crap into this thread.

effective right now!

Er, that should be effective...

From now on, let's make an effort to stay on topic.

And the more annoying among us (me included :p) need to make an effort to not be annoying, as this may be one of the most important events in the GP2X community since the GP2X itself.

Exophase said:
Unlike Orkie I guess I find it a lot more annoying when someone is being deliberately insulting all the time.
Fair enough, I am a grouchy bastard, but sometimes being insulted is a good thing..... when you deserve it.

atomicthumbs said:
I'll make an effort to be as un-annoying as possible. :)
That was off topic and pointless to post. Furthermore, I expect the majority of people don't care if you are going to make an effort to be less annoying.

Ontopic:

I don't see how you can fit two analogs on something this size. Are they going to be PSP like nub things?

I feel left out of this conversation. Gotta keep everything super secret and all. But I at least want to say Craig's work is very impressive to date. Once I get my grubby hands on it, it looks like psx4all stands to really shine on this one. Can finally have a little room to polish it up without having to tweak every little bit of performance out of it all the time. I'm also looking forward to OpenTTD and DOSBOX on this as well, as I think it will be perfect with some things I have in mind. :)

zodttd said:
I feel left out of this conversation. Gotta keep everything super secret and all. But I at least want to say Craig's work is very impressive to date. Once I get my grubby hands on it, it looks like psx4all stands to really shine on this one. Can finally have a little room to polish it up without having to tweak every little bit of performance out of it all the time. I'm also looking forward to OpenTTD and DOSBOX on this as well, as I think it will be perfect with some things I have in mind. :)
Yay! Better for users and easier for devs. (I didn't realize that last bit until you pointed it out. I guess it will be easier to program emulators with moar power.)

atomicthumbs said:
I guess it will be easier to program emulators with moar power.
Only for lazy bums like zodttd - can you believe he was talking instead of working on emulators last night?

atomicthumbs: Well the more raw horsepower, the easier it is for unoptimized emulator code to perform at playable speeds. :)
I think this is a developers dream machine. With all the experience of the GP2X this community has gathered, I don't think it will go to waste like other scenes tend to do when they "upgrade".

I'm dreaming up a full blown Linux OS like Angstrom with X11/Qt and all!

Orkie: Yeah, our conversation about Open2X's release date was good times! Heh ;)

I really think Craig's machine will bring to life a really nice ARM Dynarec'd DOSBox out of me. I've been speaking to the DOSBox team more. It's getting closer. A nice library of 486 games would be possible I bet. :)

zodttd said:
I really think Craig's machine will bring to life a really nice ARM Dynarec'd DOSBox out of me. I've been speaking to the DOSBox team more. It's getting closer. A nice library of 486 games would be possible I bet. :)
:eek:

Will this finally mean Liero on the GP2X?

My friend (who showed Liero to me) is going to kill me when I bring it over to his house and start playing Liero on it. Heh. :D

EDIT: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/1...49&from=rss

According to this, Minimo is dead, but they're working on Mobile Firefox (with extensions). :D

zodttd said:
atomicthumbs: Well the more raw horsepower, the easier it is for unoptimized emulator code to perform at playable speeds. :)
True. :)
But this philosophy could leed to many unoptimized Software which never unleashes the true potential of the machine. And at the end we have Fast Emulators which need 600MHz to run smooth on the new machine and eating all the Battery Power, while same kind of Emulators can run at 266MHz smooth on the GP2X. (Of course no N64 :lol: )
Of course I hope, this won't come. Optimizing Software can be fun to, especially for the batteries in an Handheld Device. ^_^

I know this is going to sound like a noobish question, but I read that this could be as powerful as a gamecube. Does this mean potentially Saturn/Dreamcast/Lynx could be done?

Nova said:
I know this is going to sound like a noobish question, but I read that this could be as powerful as a gamecube. Does this mean potentially Saturn/Dreamcast/Lynx could be done?
Lynx? Sure. Saturn/Dreamcast? Doubtful. You could potentially have the visual quality of those consoles if devs/artists took advantage of the machine and put the time in, but you won't see them emulated.

As has been mentioned before, no reason for hardware emulation if the limits of software emulation have been moved far enough. Which to all appearances, they probably will have been :)

Edit: Just realised how ridiculous it is to have "hardware emulation". FPGA-based chip-instantiation might be a better way of putting it...

Nova said:

If this is as powerful as Gamecube, that should already answer your question. As a general rule of thumb, you need the power of a console 2-3 generations ahead of the console you want to emulate, unless you have slightly more powerful and share MOST of the same hardware and/or architecture. Gamecube and Dreamcast are the same Generation, so something as powerful as a Gamecube can have games with just as good quality as Gamecube and Dreamcast games (if you find a homebrewer with the talent and the drive to make one such game) but not the power to emulate Dreamcast.

As for Saturn, that's only 1 generation before Gamecube, not to mention, it's a damn tough system to emulate, from what I've heard.

-God Ginrai

well to be realistic...

you do not attempt to emulate the saturn...unless you got a grip of patience....I mean for c'mon there is only 1 emu I can think of on pc that even remotely emulated saturn and that was SSF

now if I'm correct the saturn specs

on the saturn were completely beyond the scope of programming nature...

I mean not only 2 cpus for the main setup but 6 others for graphics and other functions??????

yea saturn is one of those sytems you really don't want to touch..

the only way I see this happening is for SSF to get ported which I doubt would do us any justice...

Unless you got any type of knowledge on the two cpus in that system I wouldn't try emulating it....

Edit: hmmm that shoud fix everything X_X

God Ginrai said:
If this is as powerful as Gamecube, that should already answer your question. As a general rule of thumb, you need the power of a console 2-3 generations ahead of the console you want to emulate, unless you have slightly more powerful and share MOST of the same hardware and/or architecture. Gamecube and Dreamcast are the same Generation, so something as powerful as a Gamecube can have games with just as good quality as Gamecube and Dreamcast games (if you find a homebrewer with the talent and the drive to make one such game) but not the power to emulate Dreamcast.

As for Saturn, that's only 1 generation before Gamecube, not to mention, it's a damn tough system to emulate, from what I've heard.

-God Ginrai
I doubt anyone can confirm that it is as powerful as a Gamcube, since we don't even have a soc confirmed.

As mentioned by someone.... squid? the MIPS would be about the same as the gamecube if a particular MHz for the Cortex8 would be used. Since we don't even know what clock the TI will clock their Cortex8s, we really don't know. But we can say that if the TI solution is used, we can expect CPU performance in league with the Gamecube.

The videocard is a different matter. There is no way the video performance will be like the Gamecube. It will be similar to the Dreamcast. (Actually uses similar technology developed by PowerVR) and both should do about a few million.

So, to answer your question. Even in the best case scenario, it will not be outperforming the gamecube in
3D games, but it will probably be better at rendering video.

I hope this is helpful answering the question by nova.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back